Competition results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metsbrew

Reaction score
Got a 41 on our first competition with our Belgian dark ale, but we didn't place. What score usually places? It was in the war of worts in pa.

45 is a good beer, it depends on the competition though, if there were a buttload of good beers there a 41 would get pushed out quickly.

Got a 41 on our first competition with our Belgian dark ale, but we didn't place. What score usually places? It was in the war of worts in pa.

Depends on a lot of factors: how many entries were in the category, how good they were, were the judges scoring high or low.

Category 18 tends to get a ton of entries and that is a big comp so that is not surprising though you should be proud of the score.

On the other hand in a less competition category like dark lager or amber hybrid, that would have very likely placed almost anywhere.

Keep entering it and I imagine you will get some hardware. HBT comp is coming up as well as NHC.

I agree with the above. Most important is that 41 is a really great score, one that I rarely give. You should be very proud of making a great beer.

41 is great! I've given a 40 and a 42. They both got 1st place in the category. But they were in smaller categories. You did well.

A 41 is a good score. From what I've heard talking to 2 judges in person they said they don't give a lot of 40 and above scores. Their words were, 40 and above indicates a very solid brew which only needs minor tweaks to put it over the edge.

Damn, another comp thread. I think the universe is trying to tell me to man up and enter one for once. Maybe this next IPA going into kegs Sunday... talk about a crowded category...

Back