Yeast Starter - trub?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnodon

Reaction score
So...I am using my DIY stirplate for the first time. I harvested/washed some Irish Ale yeast from a batch of stout that I brewed. Per normal instructions, I mixed 1/2 cup DME with 2 cups water and boiled, cooled and added with yeast to a flask.

The stirplate has been doing its thing for about 30 hours and it is amazing how much it appears that yeast have multiplied. However, I need to ask this question...

When I turn the stirplate off and let everything settles to the bottom, am I looking at pure yeast or is there other stuff (i.e. waste)? When I washed this batch, I think that I did a pretty good job of separating trub and yeast so I don't think anyhting in there is trub that came out of the primary. I guess what I am really asking is if there is any kind of trub produced when using just DME? Is trub mainly just husk and hop bits that were left over? Or it it also waste produced by yeast doing their thing?

Here is what I started with:

IMG_1796.jpg

And here is the 1000ml flask after sitting for only 5 minutes. I am sure a lot more yeast is going to settle out:

IMG_1798.jpg

When I stop the stirplate and everything begins to slow down, it looks loike a snowglobe after you shake it. So cool! :)

TIA for the carification!

John

Looks normal to me. I wouldn't worry about 'trub' from a starter. Most, if not all, of the material at the bottom is yeast....

Latest posts

Back