Longer time carbonating at 70 = bottle bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWeeb

Reaction score
This is such a NOOOB question, but I am finding conflicting info. . ... Once the beer is at the proper carbonation, is it necessary to then get it cold? If not, will it continue to carbonate and risk bottle bombs, or is the correct amount of priming sugar just enough and the yeast will no longer have anything to eat?

My problem is lack of refridgerator space, and would like to keep the bottles at room temp (70-85 here) and then just rotate them into the fridge six at a time.

Many thanks !

as long as you added the proper amount of priming sugar and fermentation was indeed done when you bottled you are at absolutely no danger for bottle bombs. assuming fermentation was done the yeast will eat the priming sugar and stop.

As long as you used to correct amount of priming sugar you can store your beer at room temp. No need to refrigerate until a day or so before drinking.

If you overprimed or bottled before fermentation completed you would then need to be concerned of bottle bombs, otherwise you are fine.
:mug:

As long as you used to correct amount of priming sugar you can store your beer at room temp. No need to refrigerate until a day or so before drinking.

If you overprimed or bottled before fermentation completed you would then need to be concerned of bottle bombs, otherwise you are fine.
:mug:

If I put beer in the fridge, I'm usually checking it every 10 minutes until its cold enough to drink right away. But that usually only happens after a good night and I don't realize the fridge was empty.:drunk:

Oh... and what Ichthy and Tipsy said too.

If I put beer in the fridge, I'm usually checking it every 10 minutes until its cold enough to drink right away. But that usually only happens after a good night and I don't realize the fridge was empty.:drunk:

Touche...

bottled beer should be chilled at least 24 full hours to absorb the CO2 in headspace, giving the correct final CO2 volumes in solution.

i try to go 48 hours to be safe :)

Back