My beersmith recipes are gone!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coastarine

We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I opened a recipe in beersmith today and the ingredients list is blank. All of my recipes are like this. Closed beersmith, reopened, same thing, did a restart, same deal. Anyone else have this happen?

I've had had a fair number of my recipes disappear from the 'My Recipes' list. Not all of them, just the last six months or so. In all fairness I can't be sure I didn't accidentally delete them (I've been known to consume beer at times), but I would expect that deleting just some from an extensive list would be a multi-step action as opposed to deleting them all. I've never had the ingredients disappear.

Are you using Vista? If so, try this:

1. Open up "My Computer"
2. Locate Beersmith in your Program Files
3. Double click on Beersmith to open it up and "Compatibility Files" should show up on the toolbar
4. Locate "newopts14.opt" and delete
5. Reopen Beersmith and the ingredients in your recipes should be there

If you couldn't tell I've had this problem once or twice. I've heard it also works for Windows 7.

1. Open up "My Computer"
3. Double click on Beersmith to open it up and "Compatibility Files" should show up on the toolbar

If you couldn't tell I've had this problem once or twice. I've heard it also works for Windows 7.

I am using vista, but that didn't seem to change anything.

I did notice something: the ingredients are missing from the "edit recipe" page, however when I look at the brewsheet for any recipe, the ingredients are all there.

Yeah that was the exact problem I was having too. I just checked the thread I started on the Beersmith forum a while ago and it seems another thing I had done before to fix the problem was to delete the "options.bsm" file.

When that didn't seem to work deleting the "newopts14.opt" file was advice I got from Brad on the Beersmith forum and has since solved the problem.

Here's a link to the thread I started over there regarding the same problem. I'd pop in there and send him a PM or continue the thread if you're still having a problem. Good luck.

Backup data. Uninstall. Install to C:\Users\YourUserName . Problem (should be) solved.

That eventually happened to me on Vista, I looked at some fixes and everything, this worked like a charm and it never happened again. When I installed Win7 I installed to Program Files and shortly after it happened again, so I did what I said, problem solved again.

Transfered recipes to my desktop (XP), all look good. I'll get around to uninstalling beersmith from the laptop soon and see if that fixes it, but for the moment there is less urgency.

1. Open up "My Computer"

I've done this several times and its works but the file will appear every two or three months and my ingrediants are gone again. I have my updates set to "manual" but it still gets on there every once in a while. I guess Beersmith updates automatically even when set to manual. Any suggestions or is this something I have to live with?

No idea. I've only had this issue a few times in the past couple of years. Head over to the Beersmith forum and post a thread there. I've had good luck with getting feedback on issues and questions from the creator of BS over there.

I thought BeerSmith was ok for making beer, until it lost all my recipies, it lost all my custom water profiles, everything. I had just bought all my ingredients for for my next 6 planned beers and it was all lost. I was ticked. This is no good. Unacceptable. I am going to try BeerTools. They have that special year end offer, which ends today. Hopefully Beertools is just as good. BeerSmith is not reliable in keeping your recipies.

I thought BeerSmith was ok for making beer, until it lost all my recipies, it lost all my custom water profiles, everything. I had just bought all my ingredients for for my next 6 planned beers and it was all lost. I was ticked. This is no good. Unacceptable. I am going to try BeerTools. They have that special year end offer, which ends today. Hopefully Beertools is just as good. BeerSmith is not reliable in keeping your recipies.

This is why it's also a good idea to print out the recipe when you have it finalized.

I've been using Beer Smith for just a short amount of time, but it's stable for me. Then again, so are my computers.

1 week after buying BeerTools, it seems to do all the things that BeerSmith does. BeerTools is less intuative and needs more attention setting up, but easy to understand once you figure it out. BeerTools sets up a nice structure in My Documents where it saves all the recipes and custom water profiles, so they are easy to backup.

BeerTools: AAA+++++ I like it.

installed beersmith...
typed in my recipes...
motherboard takes a permanent vacation with a nice puff of smoke

Back