Discuss: what kind of wine do you like ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never really been much of a wine drinker. Red, I guess. I do love a good single-malt scotch though.

Never really been much of a wine drinker. Red, I guess.

Wow, that really makes me think of Hot Fuzz:
Sgt. Angel: "What is your wine selection like?"
Barkeeper: "Um, red......... and white."

My favorite by far is cabernet sauvignon. Such a wide range from medium-light to full bodied, plus lots of prevalent fruity tones which vary greatly between wineries.

Ridge Zinfandel if I'm in California. In Croatia, the continental part has a lot of tasty whites of various sorts. The coastal part has some good reds based on the Plavac Mali grape, one of whose parents is the Zinfandel grape (which is originally from Croatia. Italian Primitivo and American Zinfandel are the same grape, but that grape is originally from Croatia). Bosnia, specifically around Mostar, has some tasty reds and white. Some nice Sauvignon Blanc down that way. They have a red down there that can be good or bad, called Blatina, and a white which is usually great, called Žilavka.

The best and worst wines I've had here have been homemade reds of unknown origin though.

Wow, that really makes me think of Hot Fuzz:
Sgt. Angel: "What is your wine selection like?"
Barkeeper: "Um, red......... and white."

My favorite by far is cabernet sauvignon. Such a wide range from medium-light to full bodied, plus lots of prevalent fruity tones which vary greatly between wineries.

A good story....actually i don't drink beer too much,only in summer. sometimes i drink a little red wine.It's amazing

Mine too. I made a Cab that is now about 14 months old. It jus keeps getting better and better. My daughters favorite is a Red Zin. I made that about 1-1/2 years ago and have 1 bottle left. I just made a Lodi Old Vines Zin for her, but it won't be ready for awhile.

I started out as a wine drinker and prior to falling in love with beer, was studying for my Sommelier certification, so I have a appreciation for all types of wine. But my favorites are rich dark reds that aren't too dry and have extreme complexity to them. Come to think of it, that is much the same way I like my beer now!

Mine is a cabernet sauvignon... so I have 6 gallons of it ready to bottle right now!
SWMBO... reisling, so we just bottled hers.

I have also found a nice pinot nior that isnt to expensive either. I think its Running Horse, or Wild Horse, I cant remember. But it is my favorite Pinot Noir now.

I enjoy a nice Shiraz. In addition, Blackstone Cabernet has always treated me well. In essence, I enjoy a dry red.

Also, if I'm going to drink a white wine, I'll go for an Austrian or German white.

As a random recommendation, if anyone lives on the east coast I would absolutely recommend a trip to the Finger Lakes in New York. They make some excellent Rieslings. I'm planning a trip out there this summer.

Member of a winemaking club and had a great Cab Sauv night last night. Best wine of the night was a 2008 Cellar Craft Red Mountain Cab that was barrel-aged for 10 months.

Favourite white is chardonnay. But white wine is...whatever. It's not really serious wine.

For reds, the bigger the better; probably amarone is at the top. Syrah/shiraz is another favourite, a good cab sauv is nice. There are good GSM blends out there. Pinot noir, zinfandel, stuff like that is a bit light-bodied for me but it has its place.

Wine is my love, and beer my mistress.

I currently am infatuated with Red Rioja out of Spain. Specifically the 1994-96 vintages. Other favorites include Shiraz/Viognier blend out of Australia, heady/heavy malbecs out of south america (good carmenere as well), and of course the zins and cabs out of cali/oregon/washington.

Bascially I can sum it up saying I enjoy the big bodied juicy wines that carry dark undertones of oak, dark fruit, leather, anise, tobacco, and earth.

The only wines I really don't care for are heavily oaked Chards. We sampled some non-oaked Chards when we were visiting the Finger Lakes; did a side-by-side comparision, same wine, just one oaked and one fermented only in stainless, and much preferred the lighter, crisper unoaked.

What I've really been getting into lately have been some nice ports; excellent with a nice chocolate dessert.

"Wine is my love, and beer my mistress."

I used to be in the same situation but now that I am actually brewing my own beer (versus purchasing wine) I think that things are the other way around or perhaps I am a Polygamist :)

Funny thing is that I find myself doing many of the things that I did when I drank more fine wine - I swirl the beer in the goblet/glass to get it to open up a bit and release some of the aromas & flavors. I also like to take a sniff of the beer prior to drinking to see what I can detect. Pairing different beers with various dishes is really an interesting thing and I actually find it more chaellenging than doing so with wine. Because the beer is so good I find myself drinking it more slowly and enjoying it more than I used to.

I also really like the fact that I can brew 5 gallons of great beer for around $30 ($50 for Pliney and some of the more hoppy brrews) whereas I would spend $20 or more for a decent bottle of wine which would last one evening. Times are tight but you still have to drink, no? Montanaandy

One of my favorite wines of all time is Vega Tolusa (o?) Spanish Cabernet, its 100% cab (no merlot blended in it) yet is off-dry, and has a huge offering of dark fruits. For $8/bottle it has no contenders in my book.

Argentina Malbec (from the Mendoza region) or maybe a good Spanish Tempranillo

I used to be in the same situation but now that I am actually brewing my own beer (versus purchasing wine) I think that things are the other way around or perhaps I am a Polygamist :)

I am brewing both beer and wine. Currently I can get a decent kit of wine for about $75, make 6 gallons, pull 1 gal. off and make about 8 pints of port and the wine still makes about 24 bottles. I currently have a Chateauneuf du pape in secondary and ready to bottle.

I do love beer, don't get me wrong, and I really enjoy picking it apart just as I do a good wine, they just give me two very different kind of buzzes :) That and I can either drink 2 bottles of wine and call it a decent evening, or I put back over a 6-pack and pee all night lol. (I don't do this too commonly but enough to know I can do it without problems).

I think I will just settle with I love alcohol.

if i had to pick one, its probably pinot grigio.

of course, I did spend the better part of one day, once, at a winery drinking cabernet franc, merlot, and blends and enjoyed each and every sip. just me the girlfriend and the master wine chief extraordinaire

I like a good dry Concord grape wine. Niagara, Pink Catawba wines are great too, as well as a good dry Riesling.

Raspberry wine is great too, if you can find it.

My favorite varietal is probably tempranillo. I really like Italian varietals as well... sangiovese, nebbiolo, dolcetto. I drink quite a bit of zinfandel. I don't drink much white. The occasional chardonnay or viognier and riesling or gewurztraminer when I want something sweet.

I'm better at pairing wine with food than beer, but that's changing!

...and port. Fladgate.

Same here! My first year of university was at Brock in St. Catherines for Oenology and Viticulture. I hated the school, loved wine, but in the course of that year I noticed just how much more complex and creative beer is! Now I'm at a different uni for Biochem.

IMHO when making wine you are left with a certain set of agricultural circumstances, none of it is up to you. Brewing just gives you so much more to control to creatively express what flavours you want in your product. (that being said there are some fantastically creative winemakers out there using different kinds of wood for aging and all sorts of interesting things)

My favourite white varietal would have to be a nice spicy dry Gewurtz. But I really enjoy a Sauv Blanc from NZ and I'm always a sucker for a barrel fermented Chardonnay, I just love that apple pie/butter smoothness soooo much.

I had one chance to try an aged Riesling while at Brock. Tasted fantastic, like a grassy diesel-y lemon-drop candy (they have to be high ABV and Sugar to age well) it was a deep sort of golden colour too...

As for reds, I'm always in awe of how dark Baco Noir can be, but I really love the flavours of Cabernet Franc and Sauv. I could take or leave Merlot.

I live in the growing Lake Erie North Shore appellation of Ontario so I always get to see some great new stuff every year (though last summer was a terrible season). I even worked at Colchester Ridge Estate Winery this past summer which was a great job. Not to mention I got to drink some pretty damn good wine on a regular basis.

I couldn't rank beer vs. wine. Sometimes I'm in the mood for the one, sometimes the other. However, since I've moved out to California wine has definitely been a more common purchase. I mean first you can buy it in supermarkets which CT forbids and second its so freaking cheap. A bomber of arrogant bastard runs about 5 bucks; a bottle of a decent california cab sauv or a chilean sauv black goes for 2.99.

Back