New England Brew Session & yankee enginuity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still trying to decide if I can make it to this get together. If I attend I want to do my first all grain also and I haven't finished my mash tun yet. I still need to order my cooler kit. I also need the weldless fittings for my keggle but I could always fall back to my old pot if I only do 5 gals. I just don't have enough time to get everything done I want to. Someone make up my mind for me.:confused:

2nd Street Brewery said:
I'm still trying to decide if I can make it to this get together. If I attend I want to do my first all grain also and I haven't finished my mash tun yet. I still need to order my cooler kit. I also need the weldless fittings for my keggle but I could always fall back to my old pot if I only do 5 gals. I just don't have enough time to get everything done I want to. Someone make up my mind for me.:confused:
There is no homebrewing problem that a little time and some ingenuity cannot solve. When out of time and ideas, there is no homebrewing problem that money cannot solve.

SPEND SOME TIME AND/OR MONEY AND GET TO BREWING!

Yuri_Rage said:
There is no homebrewing problem that a little time and some ingenuity cannot solve. When out of time and ideas, there is no homebrewing problem that money cannot solve.

SPEND SOME TIME AND/OR MONEY AND GET TO BREWING!

Well feel free to send me money since all mine is currently spoken for.:D :mad:

the_bird said:
GET YOUR ASS IN GEAR, BUDDY!

Or just do a extract batch... :D

Does that help?

I really want to pick the brain of a few of the all grain guys and see how it's done. I figure that would best be done by doing one myself and getting help along the way if and when I run into the inevitable problems. I've been pricing stuff tonight. If I get the MT done we'll see.

2nd Street Brewery said:
I really want to pick the brain of a few of the all grain guys and see how it's done. I figure that would best be done by doing one myself and getting help along the way if and when I run into the inevitable problems. I've been pricing stuff tonight. If I get the MT done we'll see.
Maybe one of the AG guys will do a double batch - one with his ingredients and one with yours. You could sit in on both and take one home. Pay him liberally with the homebrew you're bringing. Any takers? I'd be happy to offer, but I'm not a New Englander and won't be there...

I'd offer, but this will only be my third mash, so I, too, am looking for all the help I can get!

Anybody want to talk the Kaiser into coming out?

Ooops,

How did I miss this thread for so long ;).

I'll have to check if that day works for me, but I like the idea of coming out to brew.

Kai

I thought I was going to be able to confirm attendance last week and I'm sorry I haven't been able to yet. I would definitely like to make the trek, still have a few things to make sure are covered in the meantime.

Also, most of my equipment "lives" in my house. I honestly do not think my setup is by any means mobile so I think I'd just be a spectator / deck hand if I were to make it. Plus, the pipeline is curently running at capacity! I'd have to jockey up a few carboys! more to come.....

Ok looks like the_bird talked me into this weekend. Planning on my first all grain so I'll be bringing my mashtun/cooler my kettle and chiller. I have 2 burders and tanks but it doesn't sound like I'll need the extra, I'll see how much room I have and decide then. I have a Y for my garden hose I'll bring along so we can have 2 chillers going at once. Starting to look forward to this.

2nd Street Brewery said:
Ok looks like the_bird talked me into this weekend. Planning on my first all grain so I'll be bringing my mashtun/cooler my kettle and chiller. I have 2 burders and tanks but it doesn't sound like I'll need the extra, I'll see how much room I have and decide then. I have a Y for my garden hose I'll bring along so we can have 2 chillers going at once. Starting to look forward to this.

OOOWWWHHHH YAAAA!

It looks like I wont have access to my burners in time for the get together:mad:
I am sorry guys, but anyone counting on me should looks elsewhere...

My new burner was waiting for me when I got home yesterday.... :D

This thing is friggin' awesome! Now, I just need to get a propane tank...

Here's a question....

When to pitch the yeast?

Pitch it before coming home, the risk (theoretical, perhaps) is that we have splashing beer, aeration, after the yeast have maybe started fermenting.

Pitch it after getting home, we risk infection in the meantime.

Is it OK to pitch yeast, THEN have the beer get sloshed around in the back of the truck/Elm?

I don't see any problem pitching there if we get it down to temp. A little aeration(sic) will be good for it. Don't know how you Massachutions(or Masshole's around here:D ) drive but I plan on taking it nice and smooth on the ride home.

2nd St, what do you have for a chiller? I may want to borrow someone's, I have to re-do my immersion chiller to fit the keggle (finally got it cut out today), not sure I'll have that done by Sunday. I'm debating making it into a CFC, anyway, which will certainly take me a bit longer.

4050-weather.JPG

I have an immersion chiller with a prechiller coil with it. I noticed that it isn't cut for a full keggle. It doesn't sit flat in dry runs. That is one reason I was going to bring the 1/4 keg I cut down. I know it sits good in that.

Guy's

My truck is currently in the shop for a transmission change. They said that they should have it done by Friday, but if not, then I can only come If I can get a ride. Was there anyone from North eastern MA coming to the gathering?

I'll only be bringing some beer to share/sample. I don't want to get into the stress of brewing off-site.

Kai

the_bird said:
Here's a question....
When to pitch the yeast?
Pitch it before coming home, the risk (theoretical, perhaps) is that we have splashing beer, aeration, after the yeast have maybe started fermenting.
Pitch it after getting home, we risk infection in the meantime.
Is it OK to pitch yeast, THEN have the beer get sloshed around in the back of the truck/Elm?
Even with the most active yeast, you will be looking at a lag phase anywhere between 4-6 hours min. So you should be safe pitching before departing, unless you get lost on the way home. :drunk:
the_bird said:
2nd St, what do you have for a chiller? I may want to borrow someone's, I have to re-do my immersion chiller to fit the keggle (finally got it cut out today), not sure I'll have that done by Sunday. I'm debating making it into a CFC, anyway, which will certainly take me a bit longer.
I have an immersion chiller you may borrow. I'm planning on getting started with my brew by 9am so that I can provide support, assistance, and All Grain guidance.

Beauty. One less thing for me to worry about getting done on Saturday, which is good because I need to go visit my brandy-new niece (about nine hours old).

Glibbidy, how's the water up at your place? I'm assuming you just brew with tap?

This is a pretty cool thing you're doing glibbidy.

Hopefully we'll get our act together in Ill and pull one of these off sooner or later.

Perfect. I just bought a big tub of PH 5.2 Buffer than I may try out, hopefully get my efficiency a bit higher (never played around with PH before).

My friend Ray has agreed to stop by around 11:00am to entertain questions on sunday and then he'll be dropping by later in the day to deliver yeast for those who need it.

Please come prepared to ask ANY brewing related questions. If I can't give you an acurate answer Ray will be more then happy to answer your questions. So start thinking about some questions you may wish to ask Ray. He's a brlliant man, oh yeah be prepared to get talked into a tour of his brewery, which is a short walk from my house.

http://www.boston.com/ae/food/articles/2005/02/16/this_brewers_sounds_and_suds_are_sweet/

Just wanted to say I'll be hitting the LHBS tommorrow for my grains if anyone is needing anything last minute. Let me know by 10AM and I'll get it if he has it. Looking forward to this weekend.

Glibbidy, how big of a brewery is this? Been around for a while?

edit. OK I just hit your link to his brewery. I'm doing a clone of his Amber ale now. We are not worthy.

I am bringing a 10 gallon all-grain setup. If anyone wishes to split the batch with me for learning or because they can't bring the equipment, let me know. Just bring an empty fermentor. I have the materials for an all-cascade pale ale, but if the person splitting wants to do something else, I have plenty of pale 2-row.

I also have a pleading request. For a couple of months now, I have been looking for Arrogant Bastard after hearing so much about it. Maine doesn't carry it, nor does New Hampshire. A shop in Newburyport carries it, but only once a month and it is sold out by the end of the day. If anyone is willing to pick up 4 or so, I will pay for 4 and take 3. Don't go out of your way or anything, I haven't tasted it and it could be swill for all I know, though popular opinion seems to be to the contrary.

Though I could buy it online, but I am kinda leary about that.

In any case, I am greatly looking forward to this weekend. The article on Ray McNeill makes him sound rather intimidating, it will be an experience meeting him.

I'll look tomorrow for you V. I was going to the beverage store to see if they had any Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale left. they usually have 22s of AB and I'll grab you some if they have it.

You know, I *almost&* cracked my bomber of AB literally two minutes ago, but instread grabbed one of my own... tell you what, I'll hook you up. :D

Back