Bottling using DME as primer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenmc

Reaction score
Howdy,
I have a bock kit which is ready for bottling - was going to split it into two batches, and prime one with sugar and one with DME/Spraymalt - I read somewhere that I can use DME for this (please let me know asap if this is not correct).
Anyway, about how much do I need to use? I have 40 pints or so, so was going to do 20 of sugar and 20 of DME.
Do i still disolve it in water like I do the sugar???
Cheers
Ken

For a 5 gal batch it usually calls for 1.25cups DME. You bring 3cups water(I think) to boil and add malt and boil for about 10-15 mins. Sort of a mini wort, then add to bottling bucket like you would sugar. I know this has been discussed before just don't know the thread. you might want to search for it for exact amounts.

Yes, you dissolve them both in water, and boil them for about 5 min or so.

Make sure you gently stir them into your beer....with a sanitized spoon, of course.

Using DME is the only way I prime. For a 5 gal. batch, I boil 1-1/4 cups of DME in about 2 cups of water (the amount of water isn't that critical) for 15 minutes. Cover it and cool it in a sink with ice water. When it cools, prime as usual.

Thanks for the replies. I seperated my batch into 2, and primed half with DME and half with sugar. I marked the different batches on the bottles so I can see how the effect works and the difference in carbonation and flavour etc.
K

Back