kegged homebrew kills my stomach

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjones

Reaction score
My brown ale I made last just got kegged ( my first time kegging) and, I was sick the whole next day. I thought maybe it was just the grilled burgers i had at my friends house the previous night that caused it so i waited a day and drank it again and the next day I had the same pains and toilet trips all day. I never had this problem with bottled beer, is it something I am doing wrong with it? I might just go back to bottling bc that stuff is brutal.

try cutting down on the level of carbonation. Highly carbonated stuff kills me as well.

dang i dont know what i did with the double posts, double quotes but didnt mean to

I had a stomach ache after kegging one particular batch but here's what I think happened. First, when you keg you tend to sample the beer WAY TOO FRICKIN soon. I mean so soon that it still has tons of yeast in suspesion. See, when you bottle, you're generally forced into letting it sit for 3 weeks. How long has it been since you brewed the batch?

Next, I think drinking a lot of the beer right after putting it on gas leads to ingesting a fair amount of carbonic acid. I don't know for sure if this can upset your stomach, but I wouldn't rule it out. What I do know is that the beer was fine a week later.

I had a stomach ache after kegging one particular batch but here's what I think happened. First, when you keg you tend to sample the beer WAY TOO FRICKIN soon. I mean so soon that it still has tons of yeast in suspesion. See, when you bottle, you're generally forced into letting it sit for 3 weeks. How long has it been since you brewed the batch?

Next, I think drinking a lot of the beer right after putting it on gas leads to ingesting a fair amount of carbonic acid. I don't know for sure if this can upset your stomach, but I wouldn't rule it out. What I do know is that the beer was fine a week later.

Well, i sampled a few times and it never hurt me, but after about a week of being in the keg is when it happened, and it tasted real good so i indulged a bit, prolly like 5 or 6 pints, i keep the keg sat on 20 and i purge it out to like 10 to pour I dont know it is frustrating bc there is a lot left and it tastes good but i cant have that happen to me for a third time

I was guessing at too young beer also...full of yeast...a great diuretic. :D

Probably didn't so a secondary...

I guess it prob it the yeast, and no i was too impatient to do a secondary, do u think that the yeast will eventually settle? kinda looks to me like everytime you start pouring or change pressures it will be all in it again, I did cut some of the dip tube off of my keg liquid out though

The yeast will settle...eventually.

I would dump the pressure and remove the long diptube and give it a slight bend to bring it up higher and out of the yeast on the bottom. ;)

The key right now is to not move it if possible...after the tube is bent. You can always bend the tube back after this keg is gone.

What yeast did you use? I've found that the Nottingham will mess my stomach up if I drink the beer green. Another thing you can do is cut your dip tube in the keg. This will leave more of the yeast sediment in the bottom and give you a clearer beer.

You mentioned you already cut the dip tube. Great. So now you just have to lay off of it for like 2 weeks while leaving it nice and cold to let the yeast floc out. Don't go jostling the keg either. Yes, 5-6 pints of yeasty beer will give you the shlits.

You have to get more beer in the pipeline so you can manage to let the beer clear in primary or secondary. You won't be as prone to drinking multiple pints of young beer when it's not in the keg yet.

Back