Wish I knew this sooner!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kythcat

Reaction score
Well, after almost 6 months of using the carbonator cap and bottles ranging from the standard 2 liter bottles to trying with 20oz bottles, I just about gave up trying to make my own soda. Decided this month to give a keg a try. Had a local brew shop (and they are hard to find around here) set me with a 5 gallon keg and a picnic tap. After getting it home and rinsing out the starsan he had put in, filling it up with filtered water and setting the CO2 on it, about 24 hours later we had bubbly water. My kids and I have compared what was in the keg to the cans/bottles and what we can buy out of the fountain at the local gas station and found that it's just like getting the fountain drinks. Plus with the water this way, we keep about 7 bottles of different flavors of syrup in the fridge, so we can have whatever flavor soda we want, with one exception (we do like Dr. Pepper here). :ban:

I just need to save my pennies now to get a kegerator to dispense this with, though I'm having no problems with the picnic tap. And I would like to free up space under my sink. Right now that is the coolest place in the house year-round. Is there such a thing as a "cola coma"? :cross:

Congrats.

The carbonator is actually pretty nice to begin with, and will still be good for one off uses and traveling. I use my keg at home but, I will mix juice and water and carbonate together, this way I don't have to create a 5 gallon batch or wash it out as much. I also carbonate a few bottles when visiting people (family, friends) since I don't want to drag a whole keg along.

I grew up in I.F., so I can understand what you mean about not having many brew shops around.

Honestly, I was afraid I would have to go to Pocatello to get anything. The guy that sells brew stuff up here told me that the kegs are getting harder to find and once he runs out of them, that's it, he's not selling them anymore. But at least we are enjoying it now.

But another question, how does everyone make their simple syrup? I end up cooking mine on the stove until clear, then letting it cool before adding the flavorings. Is there an easier method besides shaking the heck out of a bottle?

But another question, how does everyone make their simple syrup? I end up cooking mine on the stove until clear, then letting it cool before adding the flavorings. Is there an easier method besides shaking the heck out of a bottle?

I use a coffee maker with a separate coffee basket that I only use for tea and water (no off flavors that way). Take 2 cups of sugar and disolve it in 16oz of water. Wait to cool, then add the favoring. Works great every time. For lemonade at least. There is plenty of residual heat left in the solution though that I would guess you could probably disolve as much as double the sugar. I'll have to try it next time and see.

Back