The stupidest comment on your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a bit off topic, yet seems like the place to ask:

I was looking at a menu of a restaurant I was considering taking SWMBO to this past weekend. They have their own brewery there, plus serve several local brews. On the menu, though, your beer options for $4 for a pint and $6 for a pilsner. Anybody got any clue about this? I was looking on-line so couldn't ask the wait staff. Do they think pilsner is another word for "big glass"?

A Pilsener is a type of glass, in addition to a type of beer:

http://www.google.com/search?q=pils...&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1264&bih=743

It's still a bit confusing, though, because Pilsener more implies a shape than a size. But if that's how they do things, that's how they do it, I guess... It's not completely crazy, just a little bit of a confusing way of listing it.

Edit: Also, I was going to say that IME pilsener glasses are usually smaller than pint glasses, but I thought maybe I was misremembering and decided to keep my mouth shut. But Wikipedia seems to agree with me: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_glassware#Pilsner_glass So that's doubly confusing...

This wasn't a comment, but funny none the less. I have an AHS Bitter in the kegerator and the wife and I had the dads over this past sunday along with a few family friends. One of the guys was drinking bud lite lime and he asked me if he could try the homebrew. I said "Sure, frosted mugs are in the freezer." I step out into the garage two minutes later and observed an AHS bitter inside of his bud lite lime bottle. Two inches of beer and the rest was head. After he drank it, he said "That was awsome. I'm going to use a glass this time." Great guy but I laughed my ass off.

I had a couple of neighbors over while I was brewing the other day.
One guy said the boil before hops smelled like raw meat. I said really, not to me.
The other guy tryed a summer wheat. After saying it was good he mentioned he didn't like bitter beers like Budwieser. I couldn't help but laugh.

last week brought a sixer of bells two-hearted over to my brothers... drank a few and left the rest...

...he calls me tonight and says "hey, stop by... still got a few of them fish beers left..."

Stevo2569 said:
I had a couple of neighbors over while I was brewing the other day.
One guy said the boil before hops smelled like raw meat. I said really, not to me.
The other guy tryed a summer wheat. After saying it was good he mentioned he didn't like bitter beers like Budwieser. I couldn't help but laugh.

Well I hear piss can be rather acidic, so maybe he is confusing acidic bite with bitterness?

Seabee John said:
last week brought a sixer of bells two-hearted over to my brothers... drank a few and left the rest...

...he calls me tonight and says "hey, stop by... still got a few of them fish beers left..."

Haha! Thats great! Some damn good fish beers!

I have gotten the same as the last 2 posts. My favorite is "What kind of alcohol do you use?".

I have gotten the same as the last 2 posts. My favorite is "What kind of alcohol do you use?".

got that one one too - I laughed, but in defense of them, if they know nothing about science/biology/fermentation/(common sense-LOL!!) it's quite a benign statement. I think the guy actually asked me where I bought the alcohol, not what kind - comical nonetheless.

My brother came over when I was brewing today and I let him try a bit of wort before I started the boil. He looks up, pauses for a few seconds like he was really focusing on the taste then says "taste a bit yeasty to me...." his face turned beet red when I explained there was no yeast in it yet.

I am so glad Im not the only one...In the area of Ohio I live in Coors Light is the go to beer so my I.P.A. and Bourbon Barrel Stout didnt go over to well at a camp out we had last night. I also brought a few bottles of Dogfish Heads 60 minute IPA which went unopened..

Holy Hell dude i live in Bryan! Didn't realize there were others so close!

My first beer (admittedly not how I wanted it to turn out, but the following comment was still inaccurate), someone told me "it tastes like soy sauce."

I fail to find saltiness in beer.

To be fair, I've known several people that mix vodka, apple juice, and cinnamon, and then heat it up on a stove and call it home-made apple cider. They probably think that home-made beer would be similar.

Try it with captain morgan, apple cider, cinnamon, and a little bit of butter... very tasty!
/threadjack

Ha ha ha.! I love how this beer doesnt display ipa on it.This was kinda my entry level ipa gateway epiphony. I didnt like it at first then after a few more nights and trying it it was in my fridge weekly.I miss it now as i have a love for so many other ipa's.Gonna have to get back to this one- i just tried widmers seasonal citra blonde and it reminded me of two hearted a little,except session light and a tastey one also. Id have to admit until i read the bottom of the six pack carrier i wasnt going to buy it until i seen how the citra hops gave it the grapefruit and orange.Always nice for a hop to provide this than to be infused.:drunk:

Buddy of mine, when tasting my Surly Bitter Brewer clone AFTER I explained a little about the British Bitter style --- "yada yada but with American hops" I included only that the ABV was close to Miller Lite in an attempt to appeal to most people's idea of beer, and keep in mind this guy drinks Torpedo regularly....

says...... "so this is like a hoppy Miller Lite"... No.... no it isn't.:(

jarded said:
My first beer (admittedly not how I wanted it to turn out, but the following comment was still inaccurate), someone told me "it tastes like soy sauce."

I fail to find saltiness in beer.

I wonder what Thats all about? I had a friend tell me an imperial red ale was salty recently. I was so confused.

mwhc22 said:
I wonder what Thats all about? I had a friend tell me an imperial red ale was salty recently. I was so confused.

I've had a few commercial beers that have had a salty aftertaste.

The salty taste thing drives me crazy my older brother has had probably 12 of my beers everything from a stout to a pale ale and he always says they are too salty but he is also a bmc only drinker

One guy that I just don't give beer to anymore says all my beer tastes like it has a licorice taste to it.
I think people taste with their sight before the glass even touches their lips witch is a shame because most of the time I hear,"this is going to be strong isn't it?"

The soy sauce thing interests me. SWMBO was helping me bottle my hefty Scottish braggot this past weekend, and she said it smelled like soy sauce. I didn't smell or taste anything like soy sauce with it. She also said while cleaning the stove/oven yesterday that it smelled like soy sauce too. So, is there something wrong with my beer, my stove or my SWMBO?

Don't take offense when people say they sense a particular thing and it is not a desired perception of the beer, its just what they personally thought of when they sensed it. Sensory description can be really difficult for the untrained and part of it is simply having the right vocabulary to describe what they think they sense. Training level aside, it doesn't mean its necessarily the best descriptor but it doesn't mean they are wrong either. They are simply telling you what they think they sense. Additionally it is possible for beer/spirits at least to gain a soy sauce flavor if certain fungus has its way, such as what grows on/in some barrels. I can imagine some dark beers could conjure a soy sauce perception but is also possible to be sensed as part of a legitimate flaw.

RedGuitar said:
The soy sauce thing interests me. SWMBO was helping me bottle my hefty Scottish braggot this past weekend, and she said it smelled like soy sauce. I didn't smell or taste anything like soy sauce with it. She also said while cleaning the stove/oven yesterday that it smelled like soy sauce too. So, is there something wrong with my beer, my stove or my SWMBO?

Maybe she really likes soy sauce and smells it every where she goes?

I'm still perplexed by the salt thing. After years in the restaurant industry I would like to think my pallet is trained well. Salt is just not something I can figure out when there is none. I tried my damnedest to quiz my friend to find out what he was really tasting so I knew what might have happened to the beer. best I could come up with was since he ate dinner before hand that his pallet was skewed from food or he was crazy. The other test subjects thought he was crazy. LoL.

Still though I would like to find out why some people taste salt when there is none. It's rare but as this thread can attest, it happens still.

Still though I would like to find out why some people taste salt when there is none. It's rare but as this thread can attest, it happens still.

Are you sure there is none? There was 0 salt in the water and 0 salt in the grains when the beer was made?

LVBen said:
Are you sure there is none? There was 0 salt in the water and 0 salt in the grains when the beer was made?

Yes. And to humor your extreme devils advocateness, I can also safely say that any microlevels of salt or salt derivatives would not be detectable over the level of hops in an imperial red... Nor the malt flavor. As I use distilled water the only way salt could enter anyway would be through if somehow my grains, hops, or yeast were salted by manual process.

But to further my previous post... It could be possible that the people that taste salt could very well have a sensitivity to esters or smells that relate to salt but can be present without any salt. Or maybe just crazy... But probably just untrained in describing what they taste as another person posted above.

Me: Want to try my home-made beer? (AHS double chocolate stout)
My uncle: Sure, I'll try it!
*takes a sip*
My uncle: That's beer!!! Though, it is like syrup ... that you'd put on food! It's good ... for home-made, but I wouldn't want to drink a whole bottle.
Me: Hmmm.... (thinking "Syrup? Are you kidding me? The final gravity is 1.012! No more beer for you!!!")

maharaja dude....not weed man! avery maharaja imperial IPA...look it up. It's awesome! :ban::ban:

Wow, what a coincidence. At liquor store on my way home (to pick up a birthday brew for yours truly), and cashier says he has 2 Maharaja's left, and no more will be brewed until next year. Sold! I never heard of it before today, and yours is the second reference.

It looks good at least, and figured I'd try something other than the normal homebrew tonight. $7.99 for 22oz here in GA, but hey, birthdays are only once a year.

Wow, what a coincidence. At liquor store on my way home (to pick up a birthday brew for yours truly), and cashier says he has 2 Maharaja's left, and no more will be brewed until next year. Sold! I never heard of it before today, and yours is the second reference.

It looks good at least, and figured I'd try something other than the normal homebrew tonight. $7.99 for 22oz here in GA, but hey, birthdays are only once a year.

Tell me what you think

Tell me what you think

1.090 OG, 102 IBU's, 10.3% ABV..... it was a big beer. Lots of hop aroma, almost overpowering. I didn't taste much malt, due to all the hops. Earthy hop aroma, if I remember right. Maybe a little citrus.

22oz, as noted elsewhere, will put you in a good mood. I bought 2 other IPA's and didn't touch them last night.

I did look up some Maharaja clone recipes. Avery Brew Co sounds like they're pretty cool. They've given out their recipes in the past to whoever asked for them. I'll continue to support breweries like that. It's kinda like magicians who reveal the secrets of their tricks - it forces the other magicians to the next level in order to compete.

I've been sipping on my Irish Red for about a month now, but nobody else has been interested in trying them. Took a few to my brother's last night, finally got him to try one.

Brother (after sipping mine): Wow, that's really good. You've finally made something good.

Ah, brotherly love. He did go get his own, and I even left him a couple.

Sister in law tried it too and said, "Man, this is really good, but I can't drink a whole one: it's too strong a beer."

It's only about 4% ABV, so maybe the flavor is too strong? I don't know. These weren't stupid comments, they just struck me as funny.

mcaple1 said:
And that is actually kinda cheap IMHO

7.99/ bomber is the same as 26/six pack. Or in terms of beer per dollars: for $26 I can get 72 oz. of Hopslam AND 48 oz of Double Trouble. Or I could get 66 oz of maharaja and have $2 left over. I know which one i'd pick every time.

I've all but stopped playing the limited release bomber game. Purposefully restricting supply in order to charge $7.99 bomber is a sucky move. My dollars go to support local small breweries instead.

Latest posts

Back