Hop Rod Rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Reaction score
Well, I recieved all my ingredients to brew the Hop Rod Rye recipe I got from here, and also bought a 9 gallon italian kettle with spigot, and the dual cooler mash/lauder tun with sparging arm.

I really like the set up and everything went like clockwork. The sparging system works like a dream and I collected a perfect amount of sweet dark wort for my boil. I used all whole hops and MAN there were a lot for this recipe. I love the aroma!

Anyway, its fermenting away and doing great. This is going to be a batch I cant wait to taste.

If you dont mind, send links to your new kettle and any opinions you have on it. I am in the market for one :)

Oh, and while your at it, since your raving about the sparge arm, if you have a link to that too... I will need one eventually for my a.g. setup!

Woohoo! You're stoked, Tony! We're going to dry hop batch two this weekend and maybe brew another batch of that stuff. Batch one is still in the secondary, aging to perfection. Keep us posted on how yours turns out. Cheers! :D

DyerNeedOfBeer said:
If you dont mind, send links to your new kettle and any opinions you have on it. I am in the market for one :)

Oh, and while your at it, since your raving about the sparge arm, if you have a link to that too... I will need one eventually for my a.g. setup!

All of it was from MoreBeer.com (Free Shipping over $49.00)

All Grain System
Sparge arm is the usual
1135.jpg

9 Gallon Kettle
The picture of the kettle is of a larger capacity, but is the same construction.

Janx said:
Woohoo! You're stoked, Tony! We're going to dry hop batch two this weekend and maybe brew another batch of that stuff. Batch one is still in the secondary, aging to perfection. Keep us posted on how yours turns out. Cheers! :D

I know I will have to do more of this one ;)

I just racked it to the secondary tonight and wow is it going well. What an awesome recipe. Plus, being an all grain recipe, I can see a big difference in quality.

I cant wait for this one to be done!!!

Make sure you give it enough time after dry hopping to round out all the corners. My first batch just passed a month, and I think it still has some rough edges. The bitterness is incredible! My wife is especially excited about this one, but I bet she'll only be able to drink about a pint as strong as it is.

Keep us posted on yours. I'll be kegging mine soon and I'll let you know what it's like. Cheers! :D

So how long do you think I should keep it in the secondary before bottling?

Hard to say for sure...I'd let it go at least 2 weeks. Let's see, for my first batch I did:

primary - 1 week
secondary - 2 weeks with dry hop
tertiary - 2 weeks (removed from dry hops)

I'm gonna keg it this weekend. You could go less time because it'll age in the bottle, but in general beers this big are better with at least 6 weeks or so from brewing. All kinds of good things happen if you let the beer batch age, removed from trub and yeast cake. Let your taste buds be your guide. :D

Is that standard for dry-hopping; the two-week secondary and a tertiary? Or is that particular to this recipe? My Saaz and Mt. Hood hop experiment batches have dry-hopped for a week in secondary, and I was going to bottle 'em up this weekend....

Nah that's just what I did. I use demijohns for primaries, and I knew I wanted to wait for secondary to dry hop, so I racked to a demijohn for a secondary so I could dry hop the batch as a whole. Usually I go to two carboys for secondary.

I figured a couple weeks was enough. It probably could have gone longer. But I wanted the demijohn. Since I wanted the beer to batch age more, I racked to carboys. Thus the tertiary fermenter.

Thanks Janx!!! Good information. I had wondered about racking to a third to allow for a final conditioning before bottling.

I tell you what though, my love for hops has grown immensely because of this recipe. Do you know of any other high hopped recipes? Or any other Bear Republic recipes?

From drinking many of their beers, they seem to share my love of hops. Man is that some good beer!!!

That's the best and the hoppiest Bear Republic makes I think. To be honest, I almost never drink any of their other beers when I'm there because I love the HRR too much ;)

A couple of other beers that I'm interested in trying to replicate are the Indica Pale Ale from Lost Coast (not quite as hopp as HRR, but a really great bitter beer with a unique malt character), and Moylan's IPA (a beast of an IPA...I know it has Columbus, Amarillo, Centennial...sound familiar? ;)). The brewer at Moylan's was really nice, and may help me concoct a recipe if I asked. I'll have to see the next time I'm down there.

I usually just wing recipes. I use a IBU calculator and get the bittering hops right, then layer a ton of hops over the course of the last 20 minutes or so for flavor and aroma...you really can't do too much. Add some crystal and/or medium dark adjunct grains to round out the grain bill and you got yourself an IPA.

I'll look through my recipes tomorrow and see if I can't find a standout or two. Cheers! :D

Tony,
Check out Brew Your Own magazine. They cloned 8 or 10 "hop-head" brews. Maybe 3-4 isues back????? Most ranged from 80-100 IBU's. Some were in the 60-70 range.

DeRoux's Broux

anytime! they have ruination ipa from stone, racer 5 & hop rod rye by bear republic, dogfish head 90 minute ipa (which we've brewed twice and came out really good), rouge's imperial ipa, etc. hardest part is picking one!!!!

anytime! they have ruination ipa from stone, racer 5 & hop rod rye by bear republic, dogfish head 90 minute ipa (which we've brewed twice and came out really good), rogue's imperial ipa, etc. hardest part is picking one!!!!

Going to Bear Rep this weekend and can't wait.

Think we might try to hit up 3rd street also on Friday night - Saturday and Sunday will be all about wine tasting and then maybe a Brewery in SF on the way home Monday.

Not sure if I could ask for a better weekend.

I bottled my Hop Rod Rye today and have to say its perfect!!!!

I poured myself a glass while bottling and even without carbonation it tastes just like the Bear Republic I love so much!!!!

Thank you again for helping me get the recipe to make this batch!!!

hope you enjoy it! that's what we're all here for. to learn as much as we can about bettering our beer enjoyment!
cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

I am right now enjoying a pint of my Hop Rod Rye and cant believe the taste, texture and potency of this brew. Its a definate winner, one I wil have to repeat many times over. This is one excellent clone!

Okay, if anyone has a recipe for Big Bear Stout let me know!!!

Oh pshaw...y'all are doing great without me. But thanks for the kind words :)

Not to derail the thread, but real life has been keeping me *very* busy. Travelling for work, and a lot of new responsibilities. Get this...I haven't even brewed in 2 weeks. Thankfully, I have a ton of good beer on tap, including the HRR.

I'm leaving for Hawaii on Sunday, and we'll be there two weeks (woohoo!!!!), so you won't see much of me for a while, but rest assured, y'all can't get rid of me that easily. As our governor said, I'll be back ;)

I'll try to post some of the recipes we've been trying lately. We did a huge hoppy stout and a giant IPA that will be sitting in secondary while we're gone. Hoping for big things from those. Cheers to one and all! :D

just wanted to make sure you didn't comatose yourself on some heavily hopped, high-gravity grog :^ )

enjoy the big island and brew-on brother!!!!!!

Back