Need Expert Help on Equipment Selection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STAD

Reaction score
Let me start by saying that I have never brewed beer before, but I honestly can't imagine NOT enjoying the hell out of this. That being said, I will also say that I'm quite the compulsive buyer. I have actually held myself back from this for months. Anyway, the closest LHBS is an 80 mile drive round trip for me. The links provided are from this store. Is this a good deal? Deluxe 2 Stage Brewery (2 Glass) with Organic Beer Kit - HBK4D
Also, if it is a good deal, is it needed? I see that plastic is cheaper, but I can imagine that tasting awful. Please get back to me ASAP as I want to go this store this evening!

Thank you! Check back for my additional questions please.

Seems like a decent deal. With the price of copper and glass carboys going up in price, while not impossible, I suspect that you'd be able to easily beat that price. I have a couple glass carboys but most of my fermentation equipment is plastic. I have noticed NO taste difference whatsoever so don't be afraid of plastic bucket and plastic carboys. Just make sure they are PET plastic.

You will enjoy this hobby, I promise! I started at the end of January and have made 35 batches so far this year.

:tank:

Avid is right. Scrounging will get it for a little less. If however you have the funds and you are anxious to start you won't go wrong by much at all for that kit.

FWIW - check out this kit COMPLETE BEER STARTER SYSTEMS - Northwest Brewers Supply
It does not have the Immersion chiller nor the brew pot. It does have a bottling bucket, which you will need. I made my chiller for $60 and bought the same Stainless steel pot at the kitchen store in the mall on sale for $49 - usually $70. I like the Better Bottles and they do not produce any taste. My heart rate goes up every time I go to move my glass carboys (I'm accident prone)

Yeah the glass carboys make me nervous, too. Not nervous enough not to use them but future purchases will be better bottles.

If you feel like driving North to Pleasanton, Hoptech offers a nice product. I am biased to them as they sponsor the Brewclub I am a member of. Dan the owner is really customer service oriented, and was long before I became a regular.

In Campbell, there is Fermentation Solutions offers a plastic bucket starter set that is good.
The staff is friendly as well. I usually hit them up for bottle purchases and if I am in the South Bay on errands.

You also may try hitting the South Monterey County Wineries for used Carboys.
I found most of mine is an old shed that was being torn down in Soledad.

Latest posts

Back