Brewing with Yuri - Video series!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
great post, wish more people would do stuff like this. very intresting and informative with random little things i didnt know.

Those vids were awesome! Thanks so much for sharing. Like the others, I thought the music and doggie helper were great additions!

Thanks again for all the positive feedback! I'm sure I can't (and don't want to) take sole credit for Stutz joining the forum, but I'm honored that his first post is here. Welcome!

Yeah, and your setup is pretty wicked... one day I'll be hitting you up for some info on incorporating my laptop into the works :)

Yuri_Rage said:
Thanks again for all the positive feedback! I'm sure I can't (and don't want to) take sole credit for Stutz joining the forum, but I'm honored that his first post is here. Welcome!

I joined the forums because I knew the real pros were here. I suspect we'll meet in person eventually and share a brew.

Cheers!

Just reviewed these again Yuri, nice going.

I am planning to at least shoot similar stuff on my next PM brew day, looking to not duplicate what you have already explained.

Good stuff though, might as well tell PM brewers to go do what Yuri does only smaller.

Once I can afford all the AG gear (and the wife lets me) I will bring the laptop out on the porch and use this as a guide. Thanks for your time.

Yuri, I can only imagine all the man hours you've put into all that beautiful gear. . . and I noticed there was no mention of the conical fermenter (was it not yet born?). Anyways, I love reading your stuff, as well as everyone else's on here. As someone who is relatively new to home brewing, I can't tell you the amount of information I've been able to pick up here and how quickly it was able to help my beers become better. I'm starting to look at doing partial mashes in a few months and this video confirmed a lot of the things I thought were right and allowed me to pick up on a few things that I either hadn't thought of or hadn't gotten the right idea about.

And oh yeah, where do I get one of those automated four legged cleaning systems, that has to be your best piece of equipment

Thanks Yuri that was great. Very informative. I've never seen anyone brew all grain.

orfy said:
Good series Yuri.

When I get chance I'll try and do a set to compliment it using the KISS method and batch sparging.

I'd very much like to see this happen.

This was my very last brew before a big move. The conical fermenter had been in use for well over a year, but I elected to do a 5 gallon batch just to keep things simple when it came to moving. The beer (now bottled) traveled well inside my utility trailer, and it will be aging in the apartment closet until late summer.

Yuri_Rage said:
This was my very last brew before a big move. The conical fermenter had been in use for well over a year, but I elected to do a 5 gallon batch just to keep things simple when it came to moving. The beer (now bottled) traveled well inside my utility trailer, and it will be aging in the apartment closet until late summer.

do you see any significant taste difference with kegging vs bottling? ive always bottled because i dont have the space for an extra fridge to convert. I always just wondered if the priming sugar might have an effect on the taste

Priming sugar has very, very little impact on flavor. I prefer to keg because of its simplicity and convenience. I bottled this batch so that it would travel a little easier.

Those videos have effectively scared me away from the concept of all grain brewing, at least for the time being.

Dude, talk about a complex setup. I'd lose my mind if I had so many variables to track during the procedure.

I've got a longggggggggg way to go in my brewing knowledge.

I'm humbled for sure.

Homebrewing can be as hard or as easy as you make it.

I think I'm going to make an "All Grain for Dummies" video series when I brew next weekend. :mug:

Brew Dude said:
Those videos have effectively scared me away from the concept of all grain brewing, at least for the time being.

Dude, talk about a complex setup. I'd lose my mind if I had so many variables to track during the procedure.

I've got a longggggggggg way to go in my brewing knowledge.

I'm humbled for sure.
Not the intent at all!!! Listen to the concepts rather than focusing on the equipment. All you really need are two kettles in which to heat water (a boil kettle, and a hot liquor tank for the sparge water), a mash tun (cooler with a "strainer" at the bottom), a way to chill the wort, a fermenter, and a bit of patience.

I chose to go WAY over the top with the equipment because I enjoy making gadgets. There's no need to take things to the extreme the way I have.

Yuri_Rage said:
All you really need are two kettles in which to heat water (a boil kettle, and a hot liquor tank for the sparge water), a mash tun (cooler with a "strainer" at the bottom), a way to chill the wort, a fermenter, and a bit of patience.

No doubt about that. I've been brewing for about 15 years, and I've never made it beyond the "two pots and a cooler" stage.

TL

Yuri..Great Stuff! I had a friend try AG a few weeks ago and he just about destroyed his kitchen. How much did the steam injection system run you?

The steam system cost a corny keg, a water heater element, a safety valve, and a bunch of electronics that could be replaced with solid state/analog components. It's pretty inexpensive.

Good morning. Thank you for the videos.

I am about 85% complete on my 1 tier stand and my plan is to shift over to AG in the near future. Watching the process is 1000 times better than reading about it. The videos have helped me understand a couple things that I needed to have cleared up for me.

Any chance that you have the schematic/plan for the steam generator? Even better, a complete parts list? I would love to build one.

Thanks again, Rob

I saw parts before, now I'm just waiting for the video set once you get your yurt/hut together and your dream system "mostly done"!
You are an idol! Maybe the food network could do a "homebrewers idol" show?

I don't post the code for my rig because I don't want the liability if someone misunderstands it, uses it to control a steam system, and accidentally blows himself up.

FWIW, it's very simple. I don't use PID. It's just simple on/off control with temp/pressure differentials to prevent short cycling.

FWIW, it's very simple. I don't use PID. It's just simple on/off control with temp/pressure differentials to prevent short cycling.

This is basically what I wanted to know. I understand the liability issue. I just wanted a more in depth look at your process. I'm a mechanical engineering student and have a pretty firm grasp of the physics that goes into building a steam powered rig but my coding skills are close to nil. Luckily, my roommate is a EE/Comp Eng who is also interested in brewing. So hopefully he can help me out with the computer aspects when he gets back from coop.

Although my rig doesn't look simple, I applied as much of the KISS principle as I could when making each component. As a whole, the rig is overcomplicated. However, no single part is all that cosmic, including the code. I don't even use the laptop anymore, nor do I use a networked computer for displaying data like I did for a while. I keep it all contained on the microcontroller, again, to keep things simple.

Latest posts

Back