Beer formulas hide or share?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raffie

Reaction score
Do most of you share so-so ones and keep your good ones for yourself only or you share all the beers you make so others online can make them?

I was told if you got a good one don't tell anyone, it only blocks the big beer companies from stealing your formula and getting paid for something you made.

Sounds more like they're making excuses for not sharing their recipes with you...

Share away because remember it won't be the same when someone else makes it...

Uh, you see the recipe database we have going here?

Beer recipes are essentially worthless. There are hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of recipes out there that will make a great beer - if you're a great brewer. Anything you "make" has been made before, MANY times, by many other brewers. There's really nothing new under the sun.

What makes a great beer is only partially dependant on the recipe, it's also process, fermentation, temperature control, and eight million other factors. The recipe itself is really only a small piece of what makes a beer great.

Share them, stupid not to. 10 of us could brew the exact same recipe and theoretically have 10 completely different beers.

I think it is an honor when someone brews my recipes.

Dude said:
I think it is an honor when someone brews my recipes.

Incidentally, Pliny's on the docket at some point in the next month or two. I'm trying desperately to get Yooper to brew it, too - I even offered to send her the hops :D That's a DAMN good beer.

Honestly, the whole spirit of this place (and of homebrewers as a whole, I have found) is one of openness, teaching younger brewers, and sharing. Hell, I wouldn't be ANYWHERE as a brewer if it weren't for the people here who have helped me along the way. Part of that is sharing their recipes and sharing their thoughts on MY recipes.

Saying "This is MY recipe - HANDS OFF!" is really, REALLY counter to the spirit of homebrewing and HBT.

And really - there is no magic formula.

the_bird said:
Incidentally, Pliny's on the docket at some point in the next month or two. I'm trying desperately to get Yooper to brew it, too - I even offered to send her the hops :D That's a DAMN good beer.

Yes it it, you should post up the recipe, I'd be down to try it sometime :mug:

ColoradoXJ13 said:
Yes it it, you should post up the recipe, I'd be down to try it sometime

It's Dude's recipe, it's in his sig. I just need to get my hopstopper sitation all figured out first (IIRC, it's about a pound of hops ;) :eek: :D :p)

ok thx... I thought the same thing that YES making a beer that has not been done is unlikely since beers have been around since Egyptian days of old.

Soon you all can brew my Durian, Broccli, Sardine Suprise Ale.
(The suprise is that Durian, Broccli, Sardine are in it and in chunks that you can chew on)

A beer you will never forget.

I've shared all my recipes- especially the "good ones". The so-so ones you can have, too- maybe you can improve upon them. But the Dead Guy was awesome- so I've posted it and shared it many times. It's like making a great homemade spaghetti sauce- what's the big secret? You think Ragu is going to look at my fabulous list of ingredients and slow simmered technique and steal it? No way- it would cost them too much. Same as Bud or Miller- they sure don't care WHAT I make or what's in it. They save money buy using the junk they do and don't care that I don't use corn.
Many of us are doing the 777 brew, and I bet we'll all get different beers. Same ingredients, same grain bill, same hopping. None will be the same. I used different yeast and mine finished very dry. They might be similar, but not the same.
Sorry for the rant- it makes me angry to think a homebrewer thinks his beer is "too good" to give out the recipe. Reminds me of when I was a little kid and the ladies' clubs had luncheons. I remember my mom saying that if you asked for a recipe, sometimes you'd get one that was "missing" an ingredient so that the lady was still an expert at her special dish. At least they refuse to give you the recipe and don't steer you wrong (women are meaner)- but that's still stupid.

Share. The community is OpenSource, so we should all contribute.

I love how people are allowed to publish Clone books without fear of retribution.

I try not to share my recipes... because so far I haven't made anything that I've felt was really worthy to be shared. Of course, if people ask, I will post up, but I haven't really made anything that got me really excited...

However, that may change with my Honey Hefeweizen. I tasted it in primary and it's showing real promise... 6 lbs German Pils, 4lbs German Wheat, 1.5 lbs of Honey Malt, .5 lbs of carapils, .5 lbs rice hulls, 1 lb of honey added to primary,

.5 oz hallertau (6.0aa%) 60
.5 oz at 5
.5 oz at flameout

The taste is really smooth, with a slightly banana-like, but still intense "real beer" maltiness, sort of a "light" but malty version of a hefeweizen without quite so much of an overpowering banana-close profile, more of a mellow summer drink. The Hallertau at flameout are giving it a really nice balanced nose. If I think the recipe is a winner, I'll post a formal thread, but in the mean time, it's merely an experiment.

the_bird said:
Anything you "make" has been made before, MANY times, by many other brewers. There's really nothing new under the sun.

I agree with everything but this quote above. I just used guatemalan chocolate brought here by a friend of minefrom there, not like anything you can buy in the states that I've seen. Its not like mexican/cinnamon chocolate at all, but almost has a coffee-like spiciness. Its wonderful and I doubt anyone has brewed a chocolate/cherry porter with it.
Anyway, in practical terms I agree with you, but to me its seems kind of discouraging to think that everything I brew is not original and has already been done. I'd like to say similar beers have been made but originality is possible. I'm not trying to pick a fight, it just doesn't seem very positive taken on its own.

BTW - If it comes out well I'd be happy to share the recipe.

There's sure lots of stories of Micro brewies being VERY helpful, even to the point of publishing their recipes. Anybody who won't share a recipe is a very petty person. Probably somebody you wouldn't want to share a home brew with anyhow.

If I ever come up with a good recipe...I will share it. That's what brewing your own beer is all about to me.

Dan

I go out of my way to only post my best recipes. (Which at this point ain't much) I would hate for someone to brew a batch from a bad recipe that I gave them and waste all the time and ingredients on bad beer.
As a few folks have said, we would all brew different beers from the same recipe anyway.

If it wasn't for sharing us newbies would have nothing but kits to brew.

Sharing is truly caring and that's what brewing is all about. When we do make
that GREAT brew, isn't it even a better brew when others like it too???

I would gladly share my recipes....if there was anything unique about 'em :)

I have used the online recipe databases in the past to formulate my own recipes or check percentages of known good brews against what I might have been scheming. Truth be told, most of my recipes are pretty simple at the start and my inspiration happens during brewing, which I fail to take adequate notes of....

I've only been brewing for a few months. So far, only one recipe I did was anything other than one from my LHBS. Is there a rule/etiquette in posting recipe's that aren't "mine" but I really liked?

In a few weeks I'll give my new brews a try and if I think they are worthy or I don't go blind I'll consider posting them.

I do have a good feeling for these 2 as well.

I just need aging time to tell.. :cool:

I sit here now drinking a pint of Yooper Chicks Saw Tooth Amber Ale, day dreaming about how Edwort's Apfelwein and Brew Pastor's 777 Rye IPA will taste when ready
schla13.gif
, then cry because Orfy's Hob Goblin is finished
1393.gif

Thanks for sharing :mug:

P.S. no plans to start my own Brewery yet :)

Back