Cider taste very yeasty

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kloon

Reaction score
I decided to do my first cider a few weeks back for the wife, have a couple of homebrews under the belt, everything went fine, did a blackrock cider kit and added some dme to give it a sweeter taste and used Lalvin EC1118 instead of the kit yeast.

Stood in the fermenter for about 3weeks and then a week ago I bottled it, did not have carb tabs on hand so decided to carb with brown sugar. Took about 4.1 oz of sugar and dissolved it in 2 cups of boiling water form the kettle and siphoned ontop of that before bottling.

Before the priming FG was at 1003 and after at 1010.

I had a taste of the cider before priming and it tasted good, decided to crack one open yesterday and it had a very yeasty taste which made it really undrinkable.

Should I be worried? Or will it get better with time?

in my experience yeasty flavors always clear up nicely with time. i would be more worried about bottling 1.010, knowing it's going to drop back to 1.003, that's a lot of CO2 no? i don't remember off hand and can't be bothered to look it up but isn't a 'normal' carb (2-2.5 vol) usually accompanied by a 2-3 so point drop in gravity? or do i need another coffee

A cider with EC1118 yeast could easily finish at .990.

So, you bottled a cider before it was finished, and added priming sugar. It sounds like a sure recipe for bottle bombs. I'd open the bottles and get them in a carboy ASAP and let them ferment out.

Cider isn't beer- three weeks is NOTHING. If it wasn't done fermenting, it wasn't done, and a yeasty taste may or may not mean anything.

Back