Anyone Brewing tonight?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Stone IPA clone. Mashed in and 11 minutes to vorlauf. Looking good so far.

Recipe calls for 1 oz. Centennial dry hopped in the secondary, but does not say pellets or whole hops. Any idea?

Well, I'd use the whole hops for dryhopping. Why? I don't know. I've used both and can't really tell the difference except psychologically I think dryhopping with whole makes it seem "fresher". I doubt I could tell the difference side by side, though.

I brewed earlier today, and am happily listening to the blurp blurb of an airlock, Great sound.

Pelletizing hops destroys some of the aromatic oils. It's always better to use whole-leaf hops for flavor, aroma, and dry-hopping applications when possible. Pellets work too, just not quite as well.

Have to say that I agree, I too prefer the whole hops for dry hopping. Only complaint is that they can be a pain to clean out of the carboy, I know, I know use a bag. Just don't seem right to me.

Sorry to say I am not brewing tonite. I am holding out untill i get my AG set-up done (I did my last three extract batches the last couple of weekends to tide me over), hopefully it will not be longer than a week or two at the most. Check out the gallery to see the work in progress. I can't wait to start my very own "My first AG Brew Session" thread!:D

Cheers and thanks in advance for all the AG help.

Not brewing tonight, just drinking a few and watching the gravity drop on the 3CPA. Looks and smells like grapefruit juice, but it's only 3 days so far.

david_42 said:
Not brewing tonight, just drinking a few and watching the gravity drop on the 3CPA. Looks and smells like grapefruit juice, but it's only 3 days so far.

Guessing 3C = Cascade, Columbus, Centennial? Sorry -- hadn't heard that term before.

I need a kick in the arse....I haven't brewed for almost 7 weeks.....Been too busy taking the kids to shooting classes, and church functions. I also serve on the local township board, and we've had meetings every Tuesday night this month. We just had a meeting tonight about an upcoming cemetery ordinance and one family has this PITA attitude about it all.

Gotta fire up the kettle!:rockin:

Jim Karr said:
I need a kick in the arse....I haven't brewed for almost 7 weeks.....Been too busy taking the kids to shooting classes, and church functions. I also serve on the local township board, and we've had meetings every Tuesday night this month. We just had a meeting tonight about an upcoming cemetery ordinance and one family has this PITA attitude about it all.

Gotta fire up the kettle!:rockin:
I hear you, before last weekend it had been almost 4 months since I brewed because I wanted to get all my AG stuff in order, that plus a 4 month old to take care of:D

Dan

The Stone IPA clone is chillin. Pre-Boil wort came out at 1.049. We'll see how close I get to 1.066 as the recipe calls for. I'll probably not hit it as I boil 7 gallons down to around 5.5 cause I want to keg 5 gallons.

On another note my Haus Pale Ale just blew. Luckily, I have two in reserve. :D

I just finished my mash.....but i forgot to heat my sparge water!!

So i'm heating it up and trying to speed this up a little bc we've got to take the car in to get worked on at 8 then i've got school!!

Happy brewing!

I'm done. Pitched the yeast. My finished brew turned out at 1.057 which is a few shade short of what the recipe called for, but I used more water and I could of boiled a bit longer, but I'm bushed. It will still turn out over 6% abv when it's done.

The main thing is that it should take good.

Back