gravity reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnbrewer371

Reaction score
My last ag batch my og seemed kinda low. I took the reading straight from the kettle after I removed my immersion wort chiller so little mixing post boil had taken place besides just being stirred up when removing my chiller. Any chance this is why my gravity reading was off? Thanks. I don't know if this helps but I never pull a sample I just dropped my sanitized hydro in the kettle after I pulled out my chiller.

You really should take a sample. What are you going to do if you break that hydro in your wort? But measuring in your bucket won't throw it off. It's density at a specific temp those things worry about.

I don't see anything there that would mess up your reading. I would agree that you should start pulling a sample in the future.

Would you just accept the OG that you end up with or do you attempt to make it up with some DME or something? I have done 5-6 AG batches so far, and I've been lucky to hit my target OG fairly closely each time. I too do not measure gravity until after cooled, it seems like a pain to take a sample of boiling wort, cool it down, measure adjusting for temp, and add DME to increase (water to decrease) gravity. I guess thats why everyone loves refractometers.

There goes another 30-50 bucks into the homebrewing black hole!

Nonononononono. You don't have to have a refractometer (though they're really nice and convenient). Here's what you do:

-Measure your hydrometer sample jar to see what the minimum volume you need to get a measurement is.
-Put a small sauce pan in the freezer when you mash in.
-After you complete your lauter and sparge, pull off your minimum hydrometer quantity.
-Plop it in the frozen pot, swirl for 2 mins
-Voila, you have a sample at about 70-80*

Taking a preboil gravity reading is ESSENTIAL. Nothing sucks worse than being disappointed at a low OG.

Nonononononono. You don't have to have a refractometer (though they're really nice and convenient). Here's what you do:

-Measure your hydrometer sample jar to see what the minimum volume you need to get a measurement is.
-After you complete your lauter and sparge, pull off your minimum hydrometer quantity.

Taking a preboil gravity reading is ESSENTIAL. Nothing sucks worse than being disappointed at a low OG.

Thanks for the tip. I don't have a refractometer and I find taking preboil readings a pain. I still do them but they're a pain.

Wow, thanks for that tip, sounds much easier that way!

Back