Going for a new phone soon, maybe new carrier, what do you like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humann_brewing

More Humann than human
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The SWMBO and I are shopping for new phones. First off, is it me or are family plans not any cheaper than just buying 2 separate plans?

Anyways, I am in a dilema whether to get a smart phone or not. Up to this point I have been a basic phone guy, yeah they all have mp3 and picture capabilities now a days but I mean I have never had a iPhone, blackberry, droid etc...

I have been looking at the droid and iPhone, thinking I like the droid better at this point but just wondering if these phones have changed peoples life or are they more of toys than anything.

Just so you know my setup, I have a sony ericson walkman i580 (I think that is the model) I am with AT&T with the 450 plan and never go over my minutes, I have some texting but never go over no that either. Basically I don't use my phone that much so it is hard to justify doubling my bill to have a fancy phone.

Anyone know how to lower a $180 family plan bill or is there just no way?

I know the carrier thing depends on where you live, I am in the central valley of california so I started looking at sprint but they don't seem to have much presence here, verizon looks like the next best option or possibly better than AT&T

Droid is not quite ready for mainstream. It has taken iphone 4 generations to get anywhere near the blackberry and there are still issues.

I have an iphone but you cannot go from a BB to an IP without some bumps... they do things differently. Without a doubt... for pure phone performance, the BB kills the IP.

Also - there is no insurance on iphones. The "extended warranty" they ask you to buy does not cover the most common failures to the phone... i.e. liquid and drops. It only takes one drop of water on one of the 7 fluid indicators for Apple to declare your phone out of warranty. This has happened to me twice. I had a blowup in the apple store this last time. While I was in the Apple store at least 8 people came in and had their iphones declared "out of warranty for liquid ingress" and was told that "it wasn't common at all"... what BS.

In any case... i vote against the IP.

Anyone know how to lower a $180 family plan bill or is there just no way?

That sounds really high. My wife and I are on a family plan that I think is 600 or 700 minutes plus unlimited within verizon. We also each have an extra add on for text messaging that is $10 for each line and we each have insurance at $8 per line. She has internet access on her's for $15 and I have the blackberry package for $30. Our bill I believe is right around $160 a month. It sounds like you wouldn't need much of the extras we have so you should be able to get your bill much lower.

It only takes one drop of water on one of the 7 fluid indicators for Apple to declare your phone out of warranty.

It does not even take a drop of water. High humidity can set it off too.

If you want internet access, but don't want to pay for a full data plan, the LG envy touch is a nice phone.

That sounds really high. My wife and I are on a family plan that I think is 600 or 700 minutes plus unlimited within verizon. We also each have an extra add on for text messaging that is $10 for each line and we each have insurance at $8 per line. She has internet access on her's for $15 and I have the blackberry package for $30. Our bill I believe is right around $160 a month. It sounds like you wouldn't need much of the extras we have so you should be able to get your bill much lower.

I looked again, looks like you can share 1400 minutes with unlimited data, text and all the other standards for $139.99, with taxes and other garbage, I guess that would be about $160.

So does their uplimited data package cover me for any type of internet traffic besides the vcast stuff?

I too had the I580, and I loved that phone. I switch to Verizion and picked up a BB Storm. The service, atleast in my area, can't be beat, I've since had three people in my family switch to Verizion and say the exact same thing. I haven't had to use their customer service yet, which is what I hear is the biggest pain for most.

As far as the phone goes, I'll never look back. The BB is so amazing, it has almost replaced my laptop entirely. The OS is a bit slow, only because it's the Storm One, the new Storm Two is much faster.

So does their uplimited data package cover me for any type of internet traffic besides the vcast stuff?

It isn't exactly unlimited. If you read the fine print it is 5GB per month. It is highly unlikely that you would go over that but if you do they charge you out the ass.

The OS is a bit slow, only because it's the Storm One, the new Storm Two is much faster.

:off: Have you updated the OS on your BB? They have released 5.0 for the storm and it is supposed to be much better. I am still waiting for them to realease it for my tour.

It isn't exactly unlimited. If you read the fine print it is 5GB per month. It is highly unlikely that you would go over that but if you do they charge you out the ass.

Anything large, I would just transfer over USB or WiFi, 5GB seems reasonable for everyday traffic

I really love my iPhone, but AT&T, not so much. Overall, the good points of the whole package outweigh the bad. I'd do it again.

Anything large, I would just transfer over USB or WiFi, 5GB seems reasonable for everyday traffic

It is more than reasonable. Pretty much the only way you would have trouble is if you were teathering and downloading large files or if you streamed music 24/7.

I just switched from a SE 580i to an iphone. I liked the SE well enough - decent phone, decent mp3 player (although memory sticks suck). But then the screen died on me, and it was time for my AT&T upgrade anyway.... The iphone is just a different kettle of fish: it a phone and an mp3 player and a game machine and a web surfer and so much more. I do hate having to pay for the data plan, and I had to add texting too (as my wife has an iphone too, and has become an avid texter).

It is more than reasonable. Pretty much the only way you would have trouble is if you were teathering and downloading large files or if you streamed music 24/7.

I know it's reasonable just want to know I don't have to worry about going over on usage. I have some choices to make, AT&T doesn't have the best coverage at our house and is horrid around the central coast, cambria - big sur area. I think verizon would cover better there. anyways, i need to get my hands on one to play with.

I lurve my iphone. I use it a few times a day for non-phone stuff; usually checking my email without having to fire up my laptop, or using the GPS/google maps on a daily basis.

I had the 1st Generation iPhone and just last week bought the 3GS. I love it. I use it a lot for business and don't have a single complaint.

I'm a basic phone guy as well, but going with Spring and a 700 minute plan I have two lines for ~$80 a month (including taxes). No fancy stuff but the price is Ok.

:off: Have you updated the OS on your BB? They have released 5.0 for the storm and it is supposed to be much better. I am still waiting for them to realease it for my tour.[/QUOTE]

It hasn't seemed to do too much for me. I have to do battery pulls every other day, they made an app for it which makes it much easier.

From what I hear the Tour is where it's at, but I don't trust those track balls as far as I can throw them....that doens't really fit here...but the track balls break easily.

From what I hear the Tour is where it's at, but I don't trust those track balls as far as I can throw them....that doens't really fit here...but the track balls break easily.

My tour is royally screwed up and has been since I got it and been getting worse and worse. I bought it on release and about 2 weeks later RIM recognized there was a big problem and have been replacing them. I just haven't gotten mine done yet.

BioBeing just reminded me that I didn't make a point about the music player capabilities of the iPhone... I have about 1500 songs in mine, along with podcasts, etc., and it interfaces with my car stereo through the docking port so I always have access to my entire audio library wherever I am, and I can control everything through the deck's touchscreen. I couldn't ask for much more. Love the iPhone.

I have the iPhone 3GS and have been nothing but happy with it. I manage my personal life and my business life through the thing. It is the best thing I think I have ever bought.

I have an HTC G1, and have been ogling the droid for some time now. The android operating system is much more versatile than the iphone. I like how simple the iphone is, but at at the point where it limits functionality, I find the dumbed down interface annoying. I would recommend an Android phone.

I used to use dumb phones, but beyond all the games, social networking BS, and gimmicks, there are a LOT of apps that are truly useful tools.

I use Gmote as a remote control for my Home theater computer.
I use Google maps as a GPS navigation device (no need to buy a Tom-Tom)
There's a bar code scanner that lets you compare prices online to items you scan in the store.
Google Goggles lets you search by taking a picture of something.
They are constantly coming out with new uses for the phones capabilities. You don't know what you've missed, until you get it.

I have an HTC G1, and have been ogling the droid for some time now. The android operating system is much more versatile than the iphone. I like how simple the iphone is, but at at the point where it limits functionality, I find the dumbed down interface annoying. I would recommend an Android phone.

I used to use dumb phones, but beyond all the games, social networking BS, and gimmicks, there are a LOT of apps that are truly useful tools.

There's a bar code scanner that lets you compare prices online to items you scan in the store.
They are constantly coming out with new uses for the phones capabilities. You don't know what you've missed, until you get it.

So one could possibly say that a iPhone is geared toward the windows user (even though made by apple and probably modeled after a freebsd os of some sort) and the android os is more geared toward linux users as linux is open source and far more customizable

So one could possibly say that a iPhone is geared toward the windows user (even though made by apple and probably modeled after a freebsd os of some sort) and the android os is more geared toward linux users as linux is open source and far more customizable

I'd say the iphone would be for a mac user. HTC makes windows mobile phones if you're stuck on windows. The Android OS is like you said, for people who favor open source development.

I'd say the iphone would be for a mac user. HTC makes windows mobile phones if you're stuck on windows. The Android OS is like you said, for people who favor open source development.

exactly, I was just pointing out that from what I have heard they have locked it up to limit customization. I am a fan of osx but not a fan of taking a free os such as freebsd, making some mods to it, calling it osx and charging for it.

This is not exactly what they have done as I am sure the GPL license would not allow that but it down the right path with what they have done.

Anyways, rant over...

Ive been on the Sprint everything plan with my wife now for quite some time. The service up here is really good and Im always able to connect to their 3G network.

We pay considerably less on this plan than on anything Verizon or ATT have to offer and my wife gets to use her BB for work so we get a discount. Sprint has been really good about offering hidden discounts if you know how to look for them.

I had the Iphone. It was really fun to have. I don't know if they still offer it but, State Farm Insurance offered insurance on IPhones for like $30 a year. I have played around a little bit with the motorola droid, and HTC droid. I thought they were really cool. So right now I am waiting for HTC to come out with android 2.0. Or possibly another manufacturer, The Motorola was a little to big for me. The HTC Droid Eris felt sturdy and the right size for me.

To Android users: Can you listen to music while using the GPS, and accept calls at the same time?

I have Verizon and love my service, I wouldn't switch for anything. My parents went to AT&T for the IPhones and are in a dead zone in the middle of a large city, so they basically cannot use their phones at home. So, I would double check the coverage before you switch to anything!

My husband and I have a sharing plan with 1400 minutes and extra texting, not an unlimited plan and we pay just about $110 a month. I have a LG Dare and love it! I can text and have the extras if I choose, which I don't because there is just no need for me to have all that crap...

To Android users: Can you listen to music while using the GPS, and accept calls at the same time?

Yes, typically while rocking out/navigating/talking I like to send text messages, read my email, play tetris, eat a hamburger, and drink a soda all while trying to keep my car between the ditches. Droid does.

Yes, typically while rocking out/navigating/talking I like to send text messages, read my email, play tetris, eat a hamburger, and drink a soda all while trying to keep my car between the ditches. Droid does.

The droid sounds like quite the phone but just wondering what the downfalls are since it is first gen and everything.

We have Verizon Family pack with 4 phones, unlimited texting, 750 minutes, and I also Have a BB Storm and the data package...

we pay 140.00 a month.......

Verizon's service is great!!!!! Never no signal unless in some huge metal building down in the basement...

Customer service is ehhh, okay, nothing great.....

Just went through this. Wife & I were separately on ATT w/dumb phones. 450 minutes a month, no text plan. Bills ranged from 48-50/month (each) depending on text usage. We go Iphones & a family plan.

Here is what it cost us:
Iphones (2x + taxes) ~216
1st bill (Prorated 1st month, prorated credit from "pre-paying" the last month on the old plan, prepay the next month on the new plan, & one time upgrade charges ~$264

I expect our regular bill will be $130-140. $50 for 550 mins, $9 add-a-line, $60 in data plans, $10 for texting plans, plus fees.

So monthly charges will be about $30 more per month for us. We paid probably about $300 for the phones, fees, and whatever else upfront. Plus another $130 or so to prepay a month. Plus I have a d** contract again.

I had Verizon for many many many years. My wife lost her phone and they wanted to charge us full price ($100+) for a crappy basic phone. Long story short, moved to ATT with the iPhones...love them. There are even apps for brewing beer!

I had Verizon for many many many years. My wife lost her phone and they wanted to charge us full price ($100+) for a crappy basic phone.

You will find that with any and every carrier though. I have actually found Verizon to be the most willing to work with you.

Iphone does all this too except maybe the googling a picture of something. But really, why would you need that?

I upgraded my old, standard razr phone to a blackberry, and I couldn't be happier. I love being able to check my email/hbt/facebook/whatever from it. We have Verizon, and I've never had a problem with reception. My friend has the IPhone and (obviously) AT&T service, and while he loves the iphone (mostly for the random apps he finds), he absolutely hates AT&T's coverage (and cost). My brother-in-law has been drooling over the Droid, and from what he says, it might actually rival the Iphone if you don't care about choosing from 100 different fart applications.

Whatever you choose, being able to check email/web/google maps/etc. has definitely changed my life. I'm much more productive when I have to be, and it's much easier to be less productive when I want to be.

Iphone does all this too except maybe the googling a picture of something. But really, why would you need that?

I'll admit to never needing it. But the Google apps tend to be stripped down for the iphone, like maps doesn't give turn by turn directions. It's a matter of personal preference. I dislike Apple products based solely on how trendy they are, and you just cannot replace a physical keyboard with a touch screen. That alone adds a level of functionality that the iPhone will never have.

I upgraded my old, standard razr phone to a blackberry, and I couldn't be happier. I love being able to check my email/hbt/facebook/whatever from it. We have Verizon, and I've never had a problem with reception. My friend has the IPhone and (obviously) AT&T service, and while he loves the iphone (mostly for the random apps he finds), he absolutely hates AT&T's coverage (and cost). My brother-in-law has been drooling over the Droid, and from what he says, it might actually rival the Iphone if you don't care about choosing from 100 different fart applications.

Whatever you choose, being able to check email/web/google maps/etc. has definitely changed my life. I'm much more productive when I have to be, and it's much easier to be less productive when I want to be.

I agree, the OP wanted to know whether the jump to smart phones was worth it. To which I say yes, but don't try and stay on top of the newest coolest gadget, that's a money pit you'll never find the bottom of.

I agree, the OP wanted to know whether the jump to smart phones was worth it. To which I say yes, but don't try and stay on top of the newest coolest gadget, that's a money pit you'll never find the bottom of.

Agreed. I bought the Blackberry Curve, which was $50 after rebate. I could have easily spent $250 (AFTER rebate) on something that did basically the same crap. I'm on my 3rd cellphone ever, and I'm averaging about 5 years per phone. Sooooo, if you're going to buy a new phone, spend a little extra to make the jump to a smartphone (or maybe even a Droid), and you'll be set for years.

I'll admit to never needing it. But the Google apps tend to be stripped down for the iphone, like maps doesn't give turn by turn directions. It's a matter of personal preference. I dislike Apple products based solely on how trendy they are, and you just cannot replace a physical keyboard with a touch screen. That alone adds a level of functionality that the iPhone will never have.

A bone stock iphone will give you turn by turn direction. I see where you are coming from. I was initially a little leary of anything apple but this phone seriously kicks ass. The only things i would like to see is flash support and the ability to run multiple apps

I think everyone should research which phone (iPhone, Android, Blackberry) best fits their needs. There is no "best phone" it needs to be evaluated on a case by case basis.

Back