Tertiary question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnitzengiggle

Reaction score
Okay, so my Blackberry Ale will be bottled tonight. This is my first fruit beer. It went through a 10 day primary, a 12 day secondary on the fruit, and as of today 6 days in the tertiary. When I racked to secondary I dragged the auto-sypohon across the cake to ensure there was enough yeast in there, but when racking to tertiary I got a few chunks of fruit and such, but I am not sure how much yeast. My question is:

Will there still be enough yeast in suspension for carbonation?

I think the answer is yes, but I want to be sure, because I did wash and harvest yeast from this brew, and I could easily add some back during bottling.

I can't imagine why you wouldn't be fine, but then again I've never used a tertiary before. I have kept beer for about a month in the secondary however, and that carbed up just fine.

You can leave your beer for months and still have plenty of yeast in suspension for carbonating. Yeast is microscopic so your beer can be crystal clear and have lots of yeast in it.

Latest posts

Back