National Homebrew Day!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justbrewit

Zythos Conisseur
Reaction score
Any one else brewing today?? this is my first batch since last year and i think my first post this year lol i figured since i missed it last year i was darn sure gonna brew this year. heres what i'm brewing today:

8 lbs 2 row domestic
4 lbs marris otter
1/2 lb crystal 120L
1/2 lb vicotry malt
1/2 lb munich malt
not sure about hops yet but have 3 types
5% whole willamette
12% millenium pellet
6% cascade pellet
6.3% cascade pellet
safale s-04 dry yeast
5 lbs raw wild mountian honey

any thoughts to hops would be great. i'm thinking not too much hops so that the honey taste comes through. i'm in the middle of getting started right now, had to test and run the new military style burner that i scored. i'm going to get the mash tun all washed up and then i'm going to start. i'll be checking here often during the brew day and will be taking lots of pics to post. any thoughts or any thing at all would be great!!! thanks every one. happy homebrew day!!!!:ban:

well, my homebrew day just went to total crap. first the burner that i was going to use crapped out, no biggie i'll just use the stove. WRONG, i had the water in the pot, had the burner on, every thing was heating just fine and then........................................... the damn POS stove stopped working. the clock is on but the burners do not work at all. what a crappy day.:(:mad:

well that sucks. I brewed 37 gallons and two other guys brewed with me. We put 62 gallons into the fermenters today.:mug:

HOLY HELL! That's a lot of beer for one day :mug:

I am celebrating National Homebrew Day.... One Day Late.

I'm brewing up a PM Moose Drool clone tomorrow. I just finished cleaning up the new keggle with some BKF and a nice long oxyclean soak. Also, I re-did my immersion chiller and put new fitting on it.

I am picking up a new cooler tomorrow, and I will be good to go :ban:

That's not fair. You need a do-over. I didn't brew today, but tomorrow is game for making my ESB.

I didnt get to brew at all but I did 10 gal last weekend. However, I did get to meet a bunch of homebrewers in the area and got to taste a few different brews from people. And got some very nice reviews on my Rye beer from a very experience rye brewer.

Our club brewed a 500-gallon batch of the SS Minnow Mild Ale—English Dark Mild AHA Big Brew Day recipe, courtesy of our local brewery. We started off the day at 0900 roasting malt and we pitched the yeast at 3:30.

I didnt get to brew at all but I did 10 gal last weekend. However, I did get to meet a bunch of homebrewers in the area and got to taste a few different brews from people. And got some very nice reviews on my Rye beer from a very experience rye brewer.

I'm sorry I missed that! I heard Erv say it was good, but I was busy stirring the mash at that point. Ethan came by later too, and he's a rye-head as well. It's nice to meet someone from HBT in the meatspace, as it were.

And justbrewit, you didn't make one of the Big Brew Day recipes! For shaaame. Of course we totally changed the saison, since we kinda maybe forgot to add the oats and wheat to the mash (the LHBS owner ground everything for us beforehand and we forgot not everything was in the bucket), then first wort hopped for the hell of it, and also had to decoct because we missed our mash temps.

All in all it was a fun day, if less action packed than during demos past.

well since its a holiday and i am awake i think i should reward myself with a homebrew i bottled a 8 gal. batch of pale ale 10 days ago , its 7:12 am it must be time

Heart of the Valley did a group brew over at Oregon Trails brewery, but I had a prior commitment with my greyhound group. Went to the OSU Pet day and got soaked.

wow- this turned out very nice good head retention really smooth mouth feel i dry hoped this batch and it really stands out i don't think this batch is going to last very long.

Our club brewed a 500-gallon batch of the SS Minnow Mild Ale—English Dark Mild AHA Big Brew Day recipe, courtesy of our local brewery. We started off the day at 0900 roasting malt and we pitched the yeast at 3:30.

Our club also did those 2 recipes. We had 4 brewers, brewing 5 batches of beer. Started off the day w/ a toast @ 10:00 our time, and then started brewing. Lunch was served @ about 1:00. We did raffles and giveaways all day. We had a few local free lance reporters come out and shoot a video, that I am sure is going to be on YouTube @ some point soon. It was raining like mad so we brewed inside of the brewery....Oh did I mention this was held at the local brewery.... I will post up some pictures in a day or 2. There was around 60 people at any given time there strolling around asking the brewers questions about home brewing. Loads of fun.
Cheers
JJ

i'm thinking about a do over, i might just go down and get a real burner and a propane tank and fire up the brewery. i didn't brew one of the recipes for national homebrew day cause i didn't know that they had one. i've been homebrewing for 15 years, but i'm still pretty new to the culture side of the brewing world. for many years i just ordered stuff online, didn't know any one the brewed, didn't have a lhbs, so for me brewing has been a solo mission. in just the last few years have i found out about all the brew clubs, forums, all the websites on brewing. i'm really enjoying being a brewer. next year i'll research and find out what the recipe is for national homebrew day and i'll brew that. thanks for the support that you have shown. time to find my burner and get my day started right this time. if i'm able to find a burner and i have a brew day today, i'll post on this thread throughout the day and post pics up. cheers

p.s. did anyone have any thoughts on my hops?? still not sure what i want to use. advice i very welcome.

I would keep it simple and just bitter with the millenium and use the Cascade for both flavor and aroma. Just shoot for balance in the IBU's if you want the honey to come through. If you have the option, I would pick up some "spicy" style hops like tett or sazz for flavor and aroma. I think it would complement the honey a little better than the citrus hops you have on hand.

Did not know about NHB Day

One day late, but did 5 gal of mild ale .. 175 gallons to go before I need to worry about BATF

500 gallons ? Isn't that above the legal limit ?

brew day is under way. i'm taking pics through out the process. i'm planning on doing a thread about my process and get advice from some of you experts. about to start the mashout. i'll post during sparge. mash is sitting at 147% and holding. so far a great brew day

sparge went off without a hitch!! this is my first time using a turkey fryer burner so i'm gonna watch the boil like a hawk. i've heard all the boil over stories, i don't want to add my own story to that collection. i'll post after hotbreak.:ban: i love being a homebrewer!!!!!!

Hope it all ended well. I have had a fun one, but am fifteen minutes away from flame out :mug:

I brewed up 11 gallons of BM's Centennial Blonde Ale on Friday night, so I got a bit of a jump on national home brew day. It was actually a flawless brew night, hit my mash temp and finishing volume right on...and got better efficiency than I planned for. I usually get between 75-78%, but I hit 83% with this brew. Pitched it onto an existing yeast cake and it is almost done with the vigorous part of the fermentation.

i just started my hops additions. i went with 1 oz of millenium and a small hand full of willamette( i like seeing whole hops in the boil so i put the willamette in). gonna add cascade at 30 mins, 1 oz worth and then again at 15 mins.

Just threw in the flame out Fuggles, getting ready to start the chiller, and of course I am practicing RDWHAHB :ban:

I FORGOT TO ACTIVATE MY SMACK PACK!!! :eek::eek:

I smacked it about an hour 1/2 ago, I'm gonna give it another 1/2 hour and call it good. I also had trouble getting down to temp with the immersian chiller, so it should be good to go about the same time as the yeast.

Can't wait to see your pics!

darn it, i usually do a shot before i start the siphon. does 19% port wine count?? is that high enough alcohol??

ok it 11:30 and i'm tired. as soon as i get off work i'll be starting a new thread with pics of my brew day. i have a super cheap system, thats why i'm doing a new thread. plus i want feed back. another brew day completed. sleep well fellow homebrewers:drunk:

i will be changing the name of my brewery soon, i'm no longer under the stairs. have to think of a new name

Originally Posted by kappclark
500 gallons ? Isn't that above the legal limit ?

They were at a brewery, so I am sure it was fine.

+1 on the Brewery!! A few us us took home some unfermented wort to finish ourselves but the bulk (most of it) will be on tap at the brewery in a few.... Trying to figure out how to convince the SWMBO that I need a setup like that!!! :rockin:

Ok so I didn't post pics, I suck. Ok, I'm over it. This beer was a total bust anyway, first beer that I've killed. I mashed too low and ended up with a super cloyingly sweet beer. I think the only thing that fermented was the honey. Too low of a mash temp would make non-fermentable sugars right? I think I was @ the 145-147 mark on my mash, I usually mash around 152. Thoughts?

Back