5 gallon water bottle as secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxamuus

Reaction score
Wanting to free up the primary to get some more beer in the pipeline but wanted this Ginger Lemongrass beer thru a secondary as i am worried the ginger and lemongrass is going to create a lot of sediment.

I saw this at Wallyword for 7 dollars -

pc5gallonbottlepic.jpg

Think beer would be ok in that for a couple weeks? It tried to figure out what kind of plastic it was but has a recycle emblem but no number on it.

I have a few. I dechlorinate water and store starsan in them. They are made of PVC. I don't put beer in them.

This looks like HDPE or PET. Are you sure it's PVC? Hard to tell just from pictures, but most water bottles are HDPE or PET. Both are fine to put beer in. PVC I would stay away from.

look on the bottom and it will most likely have a recycling code.....

Think beer would be ok in that for a couple weeks? It tried to figure out what kind of plastic it was but has a recycle emblem but no number on it.

I saw the same ones but I think I skipped on it because it was a #3, but the ones I saw where 3 gallon bottles at the Wal-mart Neighborhood Market.

It was made for water and has all these emblems on the bottom, but the recycling emblem doesnt have a number in it

45411_1567305019297_1135582351_31704433_3300334_n.jpg

I was told at our local brewshop that the water bottles "breathe" too much because of the type plastic they are made out of. Any truth to that ?

Back