Whats a good price for a 50# bag of

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pay $33, but I buy from an LHBS that is run by a local brewery. They don't mark up as much as your average place because they have lots of turnover.

About $30-40/bag here, but our club orders malt by the pallet so we're getting wholesale prices.

Shipping is becoming more and more a killer here, maybe I should take up farming. But land, water, malting.. Yea $78 sounds cheap for here. :)
Lucky we live Hawaii right?

$64 (Briess) locally here. Around $50 the next town over (1hr drive) but that adds gas cost. I check prices monthly on all the major OHBSes and it's usually within $1 after I add shipping.... Usually NB will come in at $65 shipped, and everywhere else is incrementally more expensive.

I got my last bag for $25 (Rahr) by sweethearting a brewpub's brewmaster, but I tipped really well too. But that was nowhere near my city. Once this bag's out, I'm just finding another errand to run to the next town up, and grabbing a bag while I'm there. (Brew day, Omaha guys and gals? Hint hint?)

Lemme see- my share of the Central NJ bulk buy was $103.20 for 135 lbs of grain.

1 sack TF Marris T101
1 sack Canadian 2-row 2002

5lbs each munich, vienna, crystal 20L, crystal 60L, and wheat.

Works out to be .72/lb for the base grain.

It depends, try to find or coordinate a bulk buy. Here in St. Lou we pay about $25 for 2-row and $38 for Marris Otter

One of these days, Stever, I'm gonna find an excuse to visit STL for a couple days. Share some homebrews, try the beer at Schafly's, see the Arch, and get the requisite picture of the newspaper and the BierMuncher salute. And then load 3 or 4 bags of malt before I leave. :)

One of these days, Stever, I'm gonna find an excuse to visit STL for a couple days. Share some homebrews, try the beer at Schafly's, see the Arch, and get the requisite picture of the newspaper and the BierMuncher salute. And then load 3 or 4 bags of malt before I leave. :)

:off: Do it! Schlafly's has some awesome beer's.

Good price. We can't get it without paying major shipping fees here in Central PA. So unless we are fortunate enough to have someone go to oh say North Country Malt on the way back from a family reunion...well then it's full price. I can get malt at around $50 per 55lb.

You buy that in bulk or just pull up and give "someone" cash for a bag? ;)

He drives down South Central Main Street. Finds a guy who knows a guy. That guy jumps in the car and leads you to the street. You slip this guy two dubs and roll down the back window. Two guys walk out with the sack and toss it in the back seat. You unexpectedly receive your $5 in change. You then give the guy a pinch of your score so he can go brew a mild.

I think I've watched too many episodes of Cops.

Good price. We can't get it without paying major shipping fees here in Central PA. So unless we are fortunate enough to have someone go to oh say North Country Malt on the way back from a family reunion...well then it's full price. I can get malt at around $50 per 55lb.
You might want to get in on central Pa's bulk buy next winter. I bought enough malt to last me a year. Might be worth planning a trip down here to visit some local brewpubs when you come down to pick up any malt you would order? Could also plan a get together for a lot of us central Pa brewers when we divide up the grain.

Lemme see- my share of the Central NJ bulk buy was $103.20 for 135 lbs of grain . . . . Works out to be .72/lb for the base grain.

Does that count the 16lbs of MO that I just used to brew a IIPA?

Bet this is the last time you trust me to pick up your grain ;)

You might want to get in on central Pa's bulk buy next winter. I bought enough malt to last me a year. Might be worth planning a trip down here to visit some local brewpubs when you come down to pick up any malt you would order? Could also plan a get together for a lot of us central Pa brewers when we divide up the grain.

Yeah, I was going to do that...but at the time I had plenty of grain and was getting Optic for $30 a bag. Man how things have changed in a year!

I was going to order 50lb for 49.90 from Williams Brewing since it said "actual cost shipping item" and I assumed that shipping was included in the price. I guess I misunderstood as when it totaled it added $34 for shipping just for the grain. Not such a good deal after all.

Yeah, that's a good price. I paid $64 for a bag of 2-row briess like 2 weeks ago.

and yeah 'actual cost shipping item' means they weigh it and bill you exactly, instead of "orders under 20 dollars are $7 shipping" type of scheme.

A few of the guys in the bulk buy picked up Canadian 2-row (myself included) for like 29 bucks and I can't imagine it being all that inferior to the Breiss. You'd have to order 4000 pounds in one shot to make it any cheaper.

A few of the guys in the bulk buy picked up Canadian 2-row (myself included) for like 29 bucks and I can't imagine it being all that inferior to the Breiss. You'd have to order 4000 pounds in one shot to make it any cheaper.

MO $59 @ Brewers Apprentice, Freehold NJ

I officially hate you.

$66 for a sack of Maris Otter at the LHBS

You buy that in bulk or just pull up and give "someone" cash for a bag? ;)

If you are in Mid. Michigan, it might be worth the trip down to outside of Chicago (your side) and visit Mid-Country Malt (the Midwest outlet for North Country Malt) I had my brother who lives in MI (outside St. Joe) pick up 9 bags of malt for me enroute to our recent family reunion.

It's really just a warehouse, I'm not sure if you can just walk in and buy grain. Just call ahead and place an order and they'll have it ready for you. Mid-Country only does full bags. North country you can order by the pound (at least last year).

It has been a long time, but I remember contacting Rahr Malt House, in Shakopee, MN. They didn't sell in small quantities. Only by the rail car load, maybe a truck load. That would have been great, since it's only about 15 minutes from my house. I might check into it once again. Just for grins. :)

Canadian 2-Row (Great Western) for $25.36, Maris-Otter $38.04. This is for 25Kg (55.125 lbs) through local St. Louis MO area group buy (momalt.com). There is a small handling charge but it's worth it. I can make 5 gallons of good pale ale for $14. Blonde Ale for $11. That about $.34 a pint! Of course that doesn't take into account what I've spent on brew/keg equipment.:D

They also have hops for $38/lb.

Back