Fermentation Concerns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philipc

Reaction score
A friend and I started our first home brew the other day. We are using this kit: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=3509 . It is a blonde ale.

We used a dry yeast which we re-hydrated and proofed with sucrose (Dixie Crystals). The proofing went well. Fermentation started quickly (a couple of hours), and was vigorous the next day(about 100 bubbles/min). After about 48 hours the bubbling had pretty much stopped.

Everything went fairly well with the boil. We were using an electric stove and at the high setting it was not putting out enough heat to get the beer to foam much. The temperature was just shy of 210 f. I tried putting a lid on the pot briefly and it foamed up nicely. Our gravity after the boil was approximately 1.05. We cooled it with a wort chiller to 70 f and got it in the fermenter(2 gal boil with 3 gal of boiled and cooled water already in the fermenter).

Should I be concerned about the beer not bubbling after 48 hours?
Should I open up the fermenter and test the gravity?
Any other advice?

-Philip

Awesome, I was expecting to hear that my bear was ruined. Ya'll just made my day.

Thanks,
-Philip

Back