Kegging and taste consistency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDey

Reaction score
I currently have just bottled, and I don't mind it. But in my experience, and talking to those who keg, it seems like kegging and force-carbing have some benefits over bottle conditioning. I've heard the other argument as well-that bottle conditioning/carbing is the more authentic way to go.

When I taste beer at bottling, very often it tastes great, maybe a bit yeasty, and definitely flat-but still good. It seems that any off-flavors I get develop in the bottles-I've had 2 batches that I believe were infected, and a few others where I may get some goofy flavors-but they subside with time. It seems to follow that replicating the fermentation process via warm conditioning temp and priming sugar introduces more variables (and more chances for mishap) than kegging, crash cooling, and force-carbing.

Have you keggers experienced this? Do you get more consistent taste from kegs over bottles?

Your recipe and temp control are really about all that will effect the taste. If you treat a keg like you do your bottles, it will be the same. As for sugar priming bottles vs. force carbed, I have never noticed a diffrence......as long as you let it fully condition and slowly carb it. YMMV

There are a few people who feel their bottled brews are better. But most of what you get at a brewpub will have been crash cooled and force-carbonated. I rarely bottle and even then, it's just a few from a keg.

Back