Finally found an IPA I like.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moorerm04

Reaction score
I have never been a huge fan of IPA's and there sometimes overwhelming hoppy bitterness. I feel like a lot of brewery's and maybe even some home brewers cover up bad beer with large amounts of hops and call it and IPA.(sorry not trying to offend anyone) However last night I went out on a limb and picked up a 6 pack of Belle's Two Hearted and I must say it is one of the best brews I have ever had. I am sure you have all had this brew, and it nothing new. I think now that I have broadened my horizons and will beguin to enjoy hoppy brews alot more... That is all I just wanted to share my apifany that I had last night!

Nice Ryan! two hearted is my favorite beer. Keep an eye out for these in the spring
9490080-large.jpg

Here's a clone recipe for you: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/bells-two-hearted-ale-clone-close-they-come-91488/

Not an IPA fan myself. I keep seeing the stuff around here, I might have to try a sixer. Normally, I just ignore any and all IPA's.

never had two hearted here in ny but i'd love to try it ..i heard its like founder centennial which i love so that the reason im tryin to clone from that previous link

Congrats on finding an IPA you like. Not a big fan of 2 hearted but to each their own. I do love many IPAs.

How does this compare to Stone Ruintation? I've never had 2 hearted as I can't get it in my area but love Ruination which is also a Centennial centric beer. Is this a milder Ruination or are there other differences tied to malt, alcohol, or bittering character?

Nice Ryan! two hearted is my favorite beer. Keep an eye out for these in the spring
9490080-large.jpg

Here's a clone recipe for you: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/bells-two-hearted-ale-clone-close-they-come-91488/
l
Hey Mike thanks for the heads up on those party kegs. I can for sure see how this would be your favorite brew. I need to get with you... I did a PM recipe for a Kenucky Bourbon Barrel Ale clone.... It's been in primary about a week now... I am pretty excited and hoping I can start drinking it around Christmas time.

I love the Two Hearted, I also love Ruination. Actually, I love any IPA that is Centennial heavy. It's my go-to IPA hop!

Unfortunately, we don't get any Bell's beer here in Delaware (that I am aware of). But I kept hearing about how good THA was so I brewed a clone. I did the "dead Ringer" clone from Northern Brewer. It is just now hitting it's prime at 3 weeks in the keg and it is mighty tasty. Only problem is I have no way to compare it to the real thing :(

Anyone want to send me a few? I'll trade for a bottle of DFH 120 min IPA (2011)

I love the Two Hearted, I also love Ruination. Actually, I love any IPA that is Centennial heavy. It's my go-to IPA hop!

How would you describe the differences between the two? Ruination is all about the hop - dank and intoxicating aroma with malt really not making it's way to the front with that beer.

I think 2H is a bit maltier than many other IPAs. Significant hops, as you would expect, but there is something else there that I think some others don't have. I just don't think it's as dry as many others, and that is maybe why I like it a bit more.

It's plenty hoppy without being harshly bitter.

I had that last year while I was up in MI. Good stuff. Had no idea what it was since they don't carry it in Texas but took a shot in the dark and it was a good choice!

I tried Total Domination IPA by Ninkasi, I think, out in Portland last month. Only IPA I've had that I like so far.

I call Bells THA, the "gateway IPA." I have more than a few friends that tried it and since have been more open to many other IPAs.

I have 5 Two Hearteds left in my fridge as I type. Mmmm, its my favorite IPA also.

I'm not huge into the style as the OP, but I like to drink them during the colder months. For hoppy beers, I just prefer pale ales and ESB's more as they are toned down a tad. I have some Honker Ale in my fridge right now too, also an excellent ale that I've just come to really like.

I call Bells THA, the "gateway IPA." I have more than a few friends that tried it and since have been more open to many other IPAs.

I agree 100%. The Vienna adds a maltiness that perfectly balances Centennial's floral/citrus notes, and it's fairly low in IBUs when compared to most American IPAs. If anyone is even considering cloning it, DO IT. Side by side with a bottle from Bell's, the importance of freshness is extremely evident.

I think 2H is a bit maltier than many other IPAs. Significant hops, as you would expect, but there is something else there that I think some others don't have. I just don't think it's as dry as many others, and that is maybe why I like it a bit more.

It's plenty hoppy without being harshly bitter.

Yes, I agree! It's not a big IPA with over-the-top hops so it's my "everyday" beer. Sure, it's hoppy, but it's really got malt backbone too, so it's closer to balanced than many other IPAs, particularly west coast IPAs.

It's really a nice beer for beginning hopheads! My son-in-law picked up the mini-keg last spring and took it ice fishing. He's becoming more and more of a hophead- he used to go for my stouts and ambers and now he heads right for any hoppy APA or IPA that I have on tap! I saw him drinking a Belgian one day, so I made a Belgian pale ale. As far as I know, he's never even touched my Belgian! Once you go to the hops, you never come back.

I love IPAs.... but I did not think 2 hearted ale lived up to the hype.

Ithica's Flower Power.... now that's a delicious IPA.

Two Hearted is a staple in our home. It's not too bitter but it has loads of flavor and aroma hops.

Bell's Two Hearted is one of a select group of IPAs that sort of defines the style. It's got that balance of hops and malt that is not there in a style more and more dominated by "hop bombs." I went through my period of infatuation with highly hopped beers a few years ago, but......I'm back. I make things like Yoop's House Pale Ale and BCB Rye IPA (see recipe section for both) and consider them hoppy enough for my taste. Had a Two Brothers Heavy Handed while at our favorite watering hole last evening, which would be another good example of a "standard" IPA.

Big problem with this style, IMHO, is that it's varied and mutated, what with all the possibilities in available grains, yeast and hops out there, that it needs redefinition....certainly something more than "IPA," "Imperial IPA," and "Double Over The Top Super Blastoff IPA."

Not to minimize or denigrate the style- picked up a six of Abita's Jockamo earlier this week, and the caramel thing they've got going on in there in juxtaposition to the hops is a revelation. Always something different........

Just going to chime in and say that Bell's Two Hearted Ale is probably one of my favorite beers. I like what BeerWard said - it's definitely a gateway IPA. It was my first and now I'm a huge hophead.

I just think it's so wonderfully balanced, a lot of IPA's tend to be a bit too malty or a bit to bitter. I also love Centennial hops.

If you like Bell's Two Hearted then check out Founder's Centennial IPA, taste notes are very similar. Damn near every IPA in Michigan uses Centennial hops.

And damn I'm excited for those minikegs.

EDIT: I heard that Bell's is currently going through a large expansion that should quadruple their production (don't quote me on that, but it's a large expansion nonetheless). So all of you who can't find it now, I bet it will be on every shelf before too long.

Yes, I agree! It's not a big IPA with over-the-top hops so it's my "everyday" beer. Sure, it's hoppy, but it's really got malt backbone too, so it's closer to balanced than many other IPAs, particularly west coast IPAs.

It's really a nice beer for beginning hopheads! My son-in-law picked up the mini-keg last spring and took it ice fishing. He's becoming more and more of a hophead- he used to go for my stouts and ambers and now he heads right for any hoppy APA or IPA that I have on tap! I saw him drinking a Belgian one day, so I made a Belgian pale ale. As far as I know, he's never even touched my Belgian! Once you go to the hops, you never come back.

I consider Edworts Haus Pale Ale a great 'welcome to craft brew beer' after recently kegging it. It's a bit mild for me to be an every day beer, as I'm a fan of the hop. I'm also a lover of Ruination but am trying to brew more sessionable beers lately. I was going to do your Ruination clone with a reduction in the malt bill by a pound or so to make it slightly more session able - but maybe this beer is more what I'm looking for. Sounds like this beer would be a great 'balanced' IPA to have on tap and might just be my next brew.

How would you describe the differences between the two? Ruination is all about the hop - dank and intoxicating aroma with malt really not making it's way to the front with that beer.

Stone Ruination (IIPA) and Bell's Two Hearted (IPA) are really two different styles of beer. So describing the difference between the two is a bit like describing the difference between a monkey and a gorilla. If you wish to compare "apples to apples" by using a Stone products as a reference point then use the Stone IPA.

Comparing the Stone IPA with Bell's Two Hearted is something I have done quite a lot. I love both beers. The Two Hearted has a sweeter (maltier) finish in my opinion. The body of the Stone IPA is also a bit lighter. There is also a difference in the hops as the Stone IPA is a columbus/centennial mix where Two Hearted is an all centennial. Both great beers.

Stone Ruination (IIPA) and Bell's Two Hearted (IPA) are really two different styles of beer. So describing the difference between the two is a bit like describing the difference between a monkey and a gorilla. If you wish to compare "apples to apples" by using a Stone products as a reference point then use the Stone IPA.

Comparing the Stone IPA with Bell's Two Hearted is something I have done quite a lot. I love both beers. The Two Hearted has a sweeter (maltier) finish in my opinion. The body of the Stone IPA is also a bit lighter. There is also a difference in the hops as the Stone IPA is a columbus/centennial mix where Two Hearted is an all centennial. Both great beers.

Stone IPA is a great beer but I'm preferring the hop flavor and especially the aroma of Ruination - and the Centennial only hops. I like a more balanced beer and thinking this might be the ticket - it's added to the brew list!

Stone IPA is a great beer but I'm preferring the hop flavor and especially the aroma of Ruination - and the Centennial only hops. I like a more balanced beer and thinking this might be the ticket - it's added to the brew list!

I only used Stone IPA as a qualifying comparison. Stone Ruination is a double IPA (IIPA) by style guidelines (even though Stone calls it an IPA). So comparing it to Two Hearted is difficult because there is such a difference in IBUs. Additionally, Stone Ruination is also a columbus/centennial mix of hop variety. Ruination is a Stone IPA on steroids really (minus the chinook).

I only used Stone IPA as a qualifying comparison. Stone Ruination is a double IPA (IIPA) by style guidelines (even though Stone calls it an IPA). So comparing it to Two Hearted is difficult because there is such a difference in IBUs. Additionally, Stone Ruination is also a columbus/centennial mix of hop variety. Ruination is a Stone IPA on steroids really.

Wasn't aware Stone was using Columbus in Ruination - must be their bittering addition. Fully aware it's an IIPA and it's a bit apples to oranges, but like the strong Centennial aroma of Ruination. I don't get that with Stones IPA and have to think they are using Columbus in later additions as well. Regardless, I'm sold on brewing the clone of this beer as it sounds like a winner. Thanks for the input and wish I could do some side by side comparisons!

Wasn't aware Stone was using Columbus in Ruination - must be their bittering addition. Fully aware it's an IIPA and it's a bit apples to oranges, but like the strong Centennial aroma of Ruination. I don't get that with Stones IPA and have to think they are using Columbus in later additions as well. Regardless, I'm sold on brewing the clone of this beer as it sounds like a winner. Thanks for the input and wish I could do some side by side comparisons!

The biggest difference will be the maltier characteristic and the sweeter finish of the Two Hearted clone. Happy brewing!

Edit: Other than the IBUs of course.

Mmmmm Two Hearted Ale.

i just harvested some Bell's yeast that I am using tomorrow for a THA clone. Yeast is on the stirplate in a big starter right now.

FYI - I talked to a rep from my local distributor trying to find an outlet for the 5L mini kegs of Oberon & asked about the 2 hearted mini kegs.... He told me that Bells isn't going to release them this year but is still planning on doing Hopslam.

Hopefully he's wrong....

Right now I am crazy about Fat Tires Ranger IPA! It is very light on the malt and seems to have a big hop bill I know cascade simcoe and Chinook with 70 IBUs. I have been looking at the trying to find a clone or something similar. Anyone have ideas or suggestions?

If you mean new belgiums ranger, ask and you shall receive and it's spot on
RANGER
OG 1.059
FG 1.009
IBU 70
SRM 7
ABV 6.4%

Grains/Sugars
8.25 lb Pale Malt
3 oz Crystal 120L
2 lb cane sugar - added when 15 minutes are left in boil

Hops
60 minutes - 12 AAU Chinook (1 oz of 12% aa)
30 minutes - 6.5 AAU Simcoe (0.5 oz of 13% aa)
15 minutes - 3.8 AAU Cascade (0.75 oz of 5% aa)
0 minutes - 0.5 oz Cascade
dry hop - 1.25 oz Cascade - for one week

Yeast
Wyeast 1792 or
Wyeast 1272 or
WLP051

Details
Mash @148*F
Boil for 90 minutes
Ferment @68*F

FYI - I talked to a rep from my local distributor trying to find an outlet for the 5L mini kegs of Oberon & asked about the 2 hearted mini kegs.... He told me that Bells isn't going to release them this year but is still planning on doing Hopslam.

Hopefully he's wrong....

Oberon mini kegs are everywhere I look around here. (Southwest suburban Chicago..) I've never seen 2HA in a minikeg.

Bells 2hearted is my favorite ipa and in my top ten of all beers I've had. Love that stuff

homebrewin said:
If you mean new belgiums ranger, ask and you shall receive and it's spot on
RANGER
OG 1.059
FG 1.009
IBU 70
SRM 7
ABV 6.4%

Grains/Sugars
8.25 lb Pale Malt
3 oz Crystal 120L
2 lb cane sugar - added when 15 minutes are left in boil

Hops
60 minutes - 12 AAU Chinook (1 oz of 12% aa)
30 minutes - 6.5 AAU Simcoe (0.5 oz of 13% aa)
15 minutes - 3.8 AAU Cascade (0.75 oz of 5% aa)
0 minutes - 0.5 oz Cascade
dry hop - 1.25 oz Cascade - for one week

Yeast
Wyeast 1792 or
Wyeast 1272 or
WLP051

Details
Mash @148*F
Boil for 90 minutes
Ferment @68*F

You are amazing thank you!!! Just to be clear this is extract? And by 90 minute boil the malt goes in and boils for 30 minutes before I start the hop schedule

Unfortunately, we don't get any Bell's beer here in Delaware (that I am aware of). But I kept hearing about how good THA was so I brewed a clone. I did the "dead Ringer" clone from Northern Brewer. It is just now hitting it's prime at 3 weeks in the keg and it is mighty tasty. Only problem is I have no way to compare it to the real thing :(

Anyone want to send me a few? I'll trade for a bottle of DFH 120 min IPA (2011)

Make the drive into PA. Can't get it in Maryland, but good package stores in PA carry it. Have to buy a case but well worth it.

You are amazing thank you!!! Just to be clear this is extract? And by 90 minute boil the malt goes in and boils for 30 minutes before I start the hop schedule

No, that looks like an AG recipe. If you want to do it as an extract, you can sub light DME (5 pounds) or LME (6.5 pounds) for the "pale malt". Otherwise, it's the same. Don't do a 90 minute boil! 60 minutes is fine with extract.

Hopefully he's wrong....

Hopslam is pretty amazing as well.

Latest posts

Back