Extract w/steeped gains vs. Extract Mini-Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikey_Dawg

Reaction score
I am about to brew up a Belgian Quadrupel and was debating trying a mini-mash recipe for the first time. These are the fermenatable sugar details for the Extract/Steeped Grains and Extract/MiniMash recipes:

--------------
Extract - Liquid: 10.5 lb Liquid Malt Extract, 1 lb Dry Malt Extract, 1 lb Candi Sugar, .5 lb Base Grains, 1.25 lb Specialty Grains.

Mini Mash - Liquid: 10 lb Liquid Malt Extract, 1 lb Candi Sugar, 2.5 lb Base Grains, 1.25 lb Specialty Grains.
--------------

Since the Extract only option does contain 2lbs of grains to steep in the recipe, will I really notice much difference by going with the Mini Mash option over the Extract option in this instance?

Just curious what some of your opinions are on this who have tried Mini/Partial Mash recipes. Thanks.

That isn't a lot of base grain relative to the extract amounts, so I really don't know what the difference in taste will be. I'd do the mini-mash anyway (or alter the recipe to use more base grains), but if it's more convenient to go partial, you can do that.

So I guess I don't know, other than to say this is a borderline case at best.

That isn't a lot of base grain relative to the extract amounts, so I really don't know what the difference in taste will be. I'd do the mini-mash anyway (or alter the recipe to use more base grains), but if it's more convenient to go partial, you can do that.

So I guess I don't know, other than to say this is a borderline case at best.

If you can mash the higher amount of grain- do it! It's worth it, if only because you buy a pound less of extract. The fresh taste you get from grain can't be beat, plus AHS's PM kits always have great instructions. If you can mash 3.75 pounds of grain, then athe PM would be preferred.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Currently I only have one 20 qt cooking pot so part of me doesnt really want to spend $40-50 on a second pot for PMing when I am planning on building an AG system over the new few months. I have a second pot that is 8 qt but I dont think it would cut it. I also have a turkey fryer alumiun pot I guess I could use but dont want to use that pot for my brews since it has been used for low country boils,etc...

...should I just clean the heck out of the aluminum pot and use that for a PM or is there another manner in which I could pull of the PM that I am not aware of... ?

Perhaps I will just stick with the Extract/Steep recipe as AG is just around the corner!

Thanks for the feedback guys. Currently I only have one 20 qt cooking pot so part of me doesnt really want to spend $40-50 on a second pot for PMing when I am planning on building an AG system over the new few months. I have a second pot that is 8 qt but I dont think it would cut it. I also have a turkey fryer alumiun pot I guess I could use but dont want to use that pot for my brews since it has been used for low country boils,etc...

...should I just clean the heck out of the aluminum pot and use that for a PM or is there another manner in which I could pull of the PM that I am not aware of... ?

Perhaps I will just stick with the Extract/Steep recipe as AG is just around the corner!

I understand! When I first started PM, I just did the PM in my bottling bucket, lined with a grainbag. I didn't want to buy any extra equipment either.

PM doesn't require anything else that you don't use in extract brewing, though. 4 pounds of grain is mashed in about 6 quarts of water, so it doesn't take up much room at all. Then you can rinse the grain up to your boil volume, and the rest is just like an extract batch.

I understand! When I first started PM, I just did the PM in my bottling bucket, lined with a grainbag. I didn't want to buy any extra equipment either.

PM doesn't require anything else that you don't use in extract brewing, though. 4 pounds of grain is mashed in about 6 quarts of water, so it doesn't take up much room at all. Then you can rinse the grain up to your boil volume, and the rest is just like an extract batch.

I have a bottling bucket! Do you might sharing your PM technique?

I guess I could just use this PM method.... https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/

Except I will need to heat up Mash water in my pot and then pour it over to the bottling bucket for the mash? Sound about right? What temp should I shoot for prior to moving water into the bucket for the mash??

I have a bottling bucket! Do you might sharing your PM technique?

Well, mine is nothing special at all! I actually like Deathbrewer's method better, for keeping temperatures steady during the mash: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/

It's sort of the same, with the grain bag and all, but he uses a small pot on the stove. You only need a large-ish grain bag, a thermometer, and a spoon!

If you're using less than about 5 pounds of grain, any pot/container should do. In the example you mentioned in the first post, using 3.75 pounds of grain means you'd use 5.6 quarts of water (1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain). That will only take up less than 2 gallons total, so you could use a 3 gallon pot if you have one.

I ended up using my bottling bucket because I had way more grain and not another big pot. It worked, but the temperature dropped even wrapped in a sleeping bag.

Deathbrewer's method got me started doing partial mashes and has worked well for me. Since I also only have one big pot and one burner large enough to heat that much water, I split the sparge water among smaller readily available (and much cheaper) pots. I also keep my pot wrapped in water heater insulation. Helps keep it steady during the mash, helps me keep a better boil on my worthless electric stove.

Thanks for the tips guys... I ordered 2 partial mash kits and a nylon bag last night from AHS. Here's to better beer! :mug:

If you're doing your partial mash in a pot, I like to preheat my oven to the lowest temp (170), then put the pot int he oven and turn it off. The residual heat left in the oven keeps the pot right on temp within a degree or so. Good luck either way!

If you're doing your partial mash in a pot, I like to preheat my oven to the lowest temp (170), then put the pot int he oven and turn it off. The residual heat left in the oven keeps the pot right on temp within a degree or so. Good luck either way!

Yep, plan to mash in a pot so I will use this tip... do you keep the lid on in the oven?

For when you mentioned that you didnt want to spend another 40$ on another pot. Linen and things has 20 qt stock pots for 14.99$ which should be good for this

Yup, I toss the lid on and slide it onto the bottom rack. I even bought one of the remote thermometers with a wired probe and slide the probe under the lid to monitor the mash temp. It's definitely not necessary since I've only ever lost a degree or two, but its nice for peace of mind :).

Back