Agave Nectar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatorhick

Reaction score
So i'm pretty new at Homebrewing but totally hooked, getting ready to bottle my third batch (fat tire clone). For Christmas I got the book Extreme Homebrewing by Sam Calagione owner of Dogfish Head brewery and I'm eating up all of the different ideas/tips/off-base methods they use.

One thing I was particularly interested in was using different types of sugar (such as maple syrup, brown sugar, rock candy, honey) to achive certian flavors & higher alcohol content. So this got me thinking about using 100%Agave Nectar as a sugar additive. Agave tastes awesome, is really good for you and can be used as a honey substitute. Plus its what tequilla is made from.

Does anyone have experience using Agave in your homebrewing? Any ideas or advice? What type of brew do you think it would work best with? I also would be interested in hearing about experience in using other sugars in your brews.

Ive wondered about using agave nectar myself. I use it for other things at it is pretty damn good just by itself.

Gator, Kirkland,

I've only been brewing for a year... so, I still feel very new, too.

But also, very hooked.

Austin Homebrew Supply offers a recipe for an Agave Wit, which I've brewed twice, and loved both times.

In my limited experience with it, agave nectar ferments with a very neutral taste. I would say it thins out the body of the beer in a similar way as honey, but doesn't contribute to a "dry" character like honey does.

The first time I brewed with it, I had hoped for a slight tequila note, as I was envisioning a "Texan-ized" witbier - knowing that tequila is fermented agave - but, no such luck.

My advice is to try agave nectar in spring- or summer-type ales, where a lighter body is a preferred quality. I believe you can substitute 1 lb. of agave nectar for 1 lb. of unhopped (extra-light) extract, or 1.33 lbs. of base malt, as a rule-of-thumb.

Hope this helps. And, I look forward to reading about your results.

~JuanNino

Back