Avery Mephistopheles clone recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nateo

Reaction score
Here is a clone recipe I came up with from the Avery website:
Target profile: OG: 1.145 * ABV: 15.1% * IBUs: 107

My batch size: 12l
(pardon the mix of units. I hate doing math in imperial units)
Part one is the base beer, parts 2-5 are incremental feedings.

Part one (8l):
OG: 1.071
3lbs Pale
1lbs Aromatic
1lbs Roasted barley (300)
10oz Special B
4oz Black Malt

5oz Chinook for 60min

Parts 2-5 (1l each):
OG: 1.266
400g light dry extract
340g Turbinado

How likely is it for this to work without an O2 pump?

My plan is to make the base beer in a couple of 1-gallon jugs and shake like I would a starter. I'll probably use a lot of yeast nutrients too.

For yeast, I was planning on using something like Safale S-05 for the base beer, then pitching some sort of champagne yeast or WLP099 when I start the incremental feedings.

Or should I add the high alcohol yeast at the beginning?

According to the dudes at Avery, they pitch new yeast every day for a couple weeks to get it to finish.

Thoughts or tips?

I would start with a bigger initial beer than only use sugar in the rest of your additions. Each time you add the extract you will be getting mote and more unfermentables. A friend of mine worked at DFH for a summer and said that WWS and 120 were made by just adding dextrose during fermentation to boost gravity. No more malt sugar additions. Maybe just add that extract to the main beer than focus on sugar for later additions so you don't have to rework the whole recipe.

I'd use something like WLP530 instead of S-05, otherwise you'll lose some of the dark fruit characteristics of the beer. Personally, I'd make a bigger base brew and use less sugar. With the amount you're using, you're risking some cider-y characteristics.

Check out Evan!'s attempt for some more tips, it sounds like he got pretty good results: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/mephistopheles-stout-41966/

Also, in case you haven't seen it, I'd give this a read for some tips on building big beers: http://beerdujour.com/Howtobrewabigbeer.htm

Back