Oatmeal Stout Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rporter

Reaction score
Well I was thinking about brewing an oatmeal stout sometime in the near future and have been looking up recipes and trying to make one of my own. It is going to be a partial mash at 150F for 60 minutes. Most of the recipes I looked at called for roasted barley but I thought I would try replacing that with some honey malt to go for a little honey flavor instead. So far this is what I have come up with, how does it look?

2.0 lbs 2-Row
1.0 lbs Crystal 80
1.0 lbs Rolled Oats
0.5 lbs Chocolate Malt
0.5 lbs Honey Malt

6.0 lbs Amber LME (15 min)

2.0 oz Fuggles (60 min)

Wyeast #1084 Irish Ale (Will make a starter)

:drunk:

thats whats great about brewing your own beer! :) Freedom! Just cause no one has tried something yet doesnt mean that its not going to be great.

I just brewed an Oatmeal as well. Mine was all grain (so just more 2-row and no extract). Heres what i used for specialty grains.

1lbs of crystal 80
0.2 lbs of crystal120
1.15 lbs of oat flakes
0.6 lbs chocolate malt
0.6 lbs roast Barley
0.2 lbs black patent

Looks relatively similar to yours. Same yeast to! Different hops (i used northdown).

What is your target Original Gravity? Also, you beer is not going to be really dark, so depending on what you want to appearance to be, you way want to add a bit of roast barley. Read up on suggested levels or percents of honey malt in beers... because generally its a belgian malt and it "may" be a little "overwhelming" so its good to check it out first, unless that it exactly what you want!

Thanks for the advice. Maybe someone with a little experience with honey malt can jump in with some tips. I don't want to end up with a honey ale with a hint of oatmeal stout in it :cross: . As far as target gravity and color, I put my recipe into beersmith and it gave me this.

Est Original Gravity: 1.062
Est Final Gravity: 1.016
Est ABV: 6.0%
Bitterness: 36.4 IBU
Est Color: 30.0 SRM

I used only 60% as my mash efficiency since this will be my first real partial mash instead of just steeping the specialty grains.

Here is my last oatmeal stout that was great. Just developed a All-Grain that i'm going to try next month for St. Pats Day

Ingredients:
6.5 lbs light malt Extract
1.5 lbs American 2-row malt
1 lb. flaked oats
1/2 lb. wheat malt
3/4 lb. roasted barley
1/4 lb. chocolate malt
3/4 lb. crystal malt
1 ounce Northern Brewer hops
Wyeast #1084 Irish ale yeast

Thanks for the input on the honey malt Sause. I think I will be going with the recipe I posted in a week or two when my primary is free.

If you're PM'ing why not cut out the amber LME and use light/ ultra-light extract, just get your color from your specialty grains? If you already bought the amber then disregard my previous statement. I like the recipe, would like to know how it turns out.

Back