23 Year old CO2 Cylinder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCapn22

Reaction score
So someone posted a what looks to be a 10 or 20 lb CO2 cylinder on craigslist. It hasn't been tested since '86. About how long do CO2 cylinders last? It's going for 30 bucks, don't know if it's worth the risk. It looks like it's in good condition, though. Worth it? Would you take a shot?

for 30 bones yeah it should be a good deal contingent on it passing a new hydro test. the 20# i've got was first tested in 82 so theyd o last freaking forever.

You can always swap it out too. Mine was old (might have sprung a leak actually), so I exchanged it for another 20lb for $22. The only thing they cared about was that it didn't say Pepsi or Coca Cola on the tank.

Just a quick question. Are the Pepsi/Coke tanks illegal to have or buy? I don't have any of them but I don't know the story behind this. I would assume it's like a keg in that you can only buy it from the brewery legally but who knows.

There's a tread somewhere about old tanks. Someone had a pre-WW1 tank that still passed hydro.

I got a great deal on a 20# from 1980 that had a coke logo on it.

first place treated me like a criminal and wouldn't go near it.

Second place swapped it for another 20# without caring about coke or hydro date.

Guess who gets all my refill business?

the logo isn't the problem, the problem is that pepsi and coke stamp their identification into the tank's metal.. paint really won't solve the problem as the id will still show.

I am a certified cylinder inspector. The stamped logo means nothing - if the company would not refill it's only because they don't know what they don't know. Each tank also has a serial number so if they were REALLY concerned they could check that.

FYI - with the exception of a few tanks here and there that were made with poor materials (and were prone to cracking or bulging) there is no reason to take a tank out of service no matter how old, just because it is old. If it fails hydro or a visual inspection that is another matter.

I recieved a free co2 tank that had a broken valve, way past hydro date, and was surface rusted to all get out. The fire extinguisher place tested it, replaced valve, and filled it all for less that $50. Never turn away an old tank!

I got two 20 lb tanks and a reg from a friend for $20 a while back (like 5 years ago), at the time I didnt know what a score it was as I just used them for commercial kegs once in a great while. Now that I keg my own beer and use up a fair amount of CO2 its great. They are past the hydro date but my LHBS said its not an issue as they just swap bottles out with a welding supply co. They will hydro any tanks that need it with no cost because of the swap.... I guess the assumption goes with the fact that our LHBS does so much business there that its just not worth the hassle.

Back