Help with a chocolate Bock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPD

Reaction score
purchased an AHS Chocolate Bock to brew with a friend home from Iraq for 2 weeks so that when he finishes his tour in Jan 10 it will be aged nicely. supposed to start brewing within the next hr or so and I was prechecking the ingredients and instructions prior to him coming over. the ingredients contain 1 oz of Belgian Cocoa the instructions have it added when aroma hops are to be added with the last 5 min of the boil they also have it as being added as flavoring prior to bottling. am not sure which is correct. from experience and what I have read over the past year I thought it was added t the end of the boil as it could make a mess and racking to a secondary will help clear it as well as the heat extracting the flavor oils. adding prior to bottling seems like it could cause a cloudy gooey mess. ???

I like adding cocoa powder to the secondary, just mix it with a bit of hot water to form a paste first (this blooms the flavor and makes mixing it easier). It will sink to the bottom with the trub and you can rack the beer off at bottling time.

1 oz isn't very much, so if you added it already, you might consider adding a couple more ounces (depending on how much chocolate character you want).

Good luck.

I just did this kit a couple month ago (it's still hanging out in the secondary in the fridge). You should have gotten two packs of cocoa in the kit. One for brewtime and one for bottling.

Back