Ready to transfer my barleywine to secondary.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q2XL

Reaction score
My barleywine has been in the primary for 24 days now. I was planning on transfering to the secondary in a day or two. I will then let it age in the secondary(6-gallon glass carboy) for about 6-9 months. I will be transfering about 4 gallons.

Other then the usual sanitation procedures, is there anything that I should be aware of or concerned with when it comes to long-term aging?

I would not age 4g of barleywine in a 6g carboy as there is too much air in the head space which will oxidize your beer. I would leave it in the primary now until it has completely finished fermenting and then bottle it and age it in the bottles. Next time a trick you can use is to rack to secondary after most of fermentation is complete. This will allow further fermentation to generate CO2 and fill that head space with CO2 and force out the air. Then you could secondary for a prolonged period of time.

GT

I wanted to bulk age a batch that I had going as well. It was a three gallon
batch and was worried about the excess head space. I bottled it last night instead and will cellar it in the bottles till Christmas time.
Sure tasted good last night for something so young.

Have a 4 gallon batch going as well , for this one I'm going to try and find a 3-4 gallon plastic carboy and then bulk age in that.

Back