Drip irrigation supply tubing for MLT manifold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riromero

Reaction score
I'm thinking about assembling a MLT to try all-grain brewing for the first time. I have 20 feet of leftover 1/2" black plastic supply tubing from the drip irrigation system that I put in last year. The label say LDPE with the 4 recycling symbol. The plastic itself seems alot like the plastic in my fermenting bucket but thinner; it cuts with a knife. Any thoughts regarding it's suitability for a manifold?

The tubing will collapse when heated. At least the stuff I have does just laying in the sun.

I doubt we're talking about the same stuff then. My tubing is stiff and is hard to get it to lay straight even in full 110F summer sunlight. I'll boil a piece and see.

What you have is Low-Density-Poly-Ethylene (LDPE). The brew buckets are made of High-Density-Poly-Ethylene (HDEP)

Anything that is LDPE will leach BPA and phallates when used with any sort of heat.

In short this is not a good option to use.

Back