Deschutes Red Chair NWPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shifty11

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone have an extract or partial mash clone recipe for the 2011 (or even 2010) Red Chair NWPA? Or even a conversion from all grain to one of the other methods? I've seen several all grain recipes but have not brewed one and am not confident of the process just yet.

Deschutes posts all their beers as "home brew" versions on their website, its its ingredients only, no times, temps, or weights; and they're for all grain, which I don't think I want to do at this time.

Thoughts or recipes anyone?

My LHBS offered out this clone for Red Chair. It's not exact, but it's pretty close.

Extract with grains, 5 Gallon

OG 1.060
FG 1.016
5.9%
64 IBU

7 lbs Briess Pilsen LME
.5lb Munich Malt 10L
.5lb Crystal 20L
.5lb German Pilsner
.5lb Carastan Malt

1.75oz Centennial 60 minutes

2 oz Cascade 15 minutes
1.75oz Centennial 15 minutes
Irish Moss 15 minutes

.5oz Cascade 5 minutes

Safale 04 Whitbread Ale Yeast

.5oz Cascade dry hop -7 days-
.5oz Centennial dry hop

Steep grains at 150 for 30 minutes in 2.5 gallons of water. Sparge with 2 gallons. You know the drill.

This is great!! Thank you!

I have a quick question about the recipe... Is dme and lme equal? Like, if I can't get briess pilsner lme will 7lbs briess pilsner dme be the same?

No, DME & LME are different. You will need more liquid malt. I don't know the equations off the top of my head (or the bottom for that matter), use one of the bazillion homebrew calculators or ask your LHBS. Good luck. I'd have an IV of Red Chair if I could. Definitely one of my top 5 favorites.

the deschutes web site lists all the ingredient in there homebrewer section you just need to do the work on it

Yes they are, I just listed them in the above clone recipe.

I've never seen an extract recipe, or any specific recipe listed on their site or any other brewery site.

This is what they say.

SPECIFICS
Recipe type: All grain
Batch size: 5 U.S. gallons
Original gravity: 1.060-1.065
Final gravity: 1.015-1.019
Boil time: 95 minutes
Fermentation temp: 65° F

Yeast type: English Ale

MALT
NW 2-row Pale Malt
Crystal Malt
Carastan
Carapils
Munich
Pilsner

HOPS
Cascade
Centennial

**Note: Temps, times and weights are the challenge. Happy Brewing!

I was just, in a snarky fashion, pointing out that the clone recipe included all the ingredients listed on the website. The amounts I listed were from a recipe from my lhbs, not the Deschutes website.

Thanks everybody. Really appreciate it.

The reason I asked for an extract recipe was because I'm not set up for all grain. I looked at the Deschutes website and saw only ingredients for all grain, but no recipe.

Jon, I'm going to give this one a try and will report back to how it turns out. Think I'm going to use dme, cuz I can't get lme in briess pils. I got the conversion, so should be good to go!

Thanks again!

I was just, in a snarky fashion, pointing out that the clone recipe included all the ingredients listed on the website. The amounts I listed were from a recipe from my lhbs, not the Deschutes website.

I looked at the recipe and it looks like it could be close.
I'm not good enough to say any better than that.

Have you brewed it?
If so, how close did it come out?

I brewed it once last year. I recall that it was pretty close, but according to my taste buds the hops were too sharp/bitter in the taste department. As you know that could be me, the recipe, my equipment, etc. I also think I could have let it bottle condition a bit longer, patience have never been my strong suit. This is the long-winded way of saying yes, it's worth brewing.

Since we're on the topic of clones Sharps, I see you are going to do a FW Union Jack, care to share????

Back