Where to drink in Austin, TX?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kersy

Reaction score
My parents moved to Texas from Michigan, and I visited them recently for a couple weeks... a couple weeks of hell. It was a desolate wasteland for a PNW beer snob like me. Finally I found some Lagunitas IPA at the Ritz, but the rest of the time I was choking down light beers.

Help?

In Austin?! There are a lot of really fine pubs, bars and "bar and grill"s around here. if you went to the infamous 6th street looking for one though, I'm sure you did come up short.

North of downtown is The Flying Saucer with something like a 100 beers on tap... I've never been there but hear it's pretty cool. Very popular among the beer set.

I don't have to go far because in my neighborhood there are two pubs within walking/biking distance; Taps and The Dig Pub. Both have a good selection. Taps has better food and their beer selection is 30 taps and even more bottles but they have fairly common items, still plenty of micros and crafts. The Dig Pub is more esoteric with a more limited selection, almost all on tap (20, maybe more) but all handcrafted brews for the serious beer afecionado.

There are many others but they are out in the neighborhoods, not in the city.

Others shoul dbe able to chime in about what is close to them.

Uncle Billy's Brew n Que on barton springs is great. some awesome house beers, especially the ipa.

the draught house pub off burnet has a great atmosphere and selection. plus, you can sit in your folding chairs out in the parking lot beneath the oak trees and drink your beer.

the dig pub further north in cedar park has some great stuff on tap. good wine selection too.

downtown, off fourth street i think, is the gingerman. best place in town hands down. just about anything worth drinking is on tap. try the lagunitas gnarlywine when it's cold outside. warms you right up!

The Dig is north .. but It is close to where I live. And it is cool.
Billy's on Burnet
NxNW is a BrewPub

Check out the Whip-In on S. I-35 and Oltorf, it is on the NW corner I think. I used to live down the street from them, if you want to buy beer to take home they have a great selection.

I have lived here in CO on and off for 10 years and it is beer paradise compared to Texas. Here in any liquor store you can get good beer. Now we just need to get the grocery stores and gas stations to carry real beer, none of this stupid 3.2 crap! In Waco at a bar one time I had a redneck who was drinking bud light call my Black and Tan "Sissy Beer", that still cracks me up, yep Guiness and Bass are for us wusses who can't handle a manly bud light, lmao...

I say you all should head to the Flying Saucer. Its fun, beer is great(over200), girls in little skirts....so nice. Drink enough and yyou can end up in the ring of honor

I agree the Flying Saucer is great, I have not been to the Austin location but if it is anything like the Fort Worth one it is well worth the visit. Also I would go to the Draught house i go and pop my tailgate open and have a beer outside. Can't beat that on a spring evening.

BJ's is southwest of town out 290 and it's pretty good. I think it is a chain. So it's sorta chrome and shiny. They have their own brews (...the Pyranha Pale is hoppy and tasty) and others on tap (...the Lagunitas IPA is nice) and plenty in bottles and seasonals. You can even get a nice 12yr single malt Scotch if you wish.

There is a new pub just south of the river off Barton Springs. It's called Fiddler's Hearth. Haven't been there. But seems like they a decent selection on tap.

Enjoy, Fred

My parents moved to Texas from Michigan, and I visited them recently for a couple weeks... a couple weeks of hell.

What? Are you serious? You could even sprint to Ed Worts palace. I am willing to bet Austin has more to drink than the average state.

I say you all should head to the Flying Saucer. Its fun, beer is great(over200), girls in little skirts....so nice. Drink enough and yyou can end up in the ring of honor

+1. Flying Saucer is great! Here's my plate in the "Ring of Honor".

IMG_2523.JPG

And the announcement where I got to stand on the bar.

IMG_2518.JPG

Latest posts

Back