Post your infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is impossible to diagnose an infection by the pellicle. I agree with j1n on this one.

It can be any one of a number of infections. Unless you have a microscope and a degree in micro biology you cannot diagnose the infection. It is infected, but with what we do not know.

Ok. I never stated as a fact that it was lactobacillus, all I said was it was "probably lactobacillus". It is infected though, and lactobacillus is the most common source of infection.

All I was trying to get across was that it was infected, but they should still try it.

Had I known this was going to turn into such a big issue, I wouldn't have even bothered.

From what I've seen lactobacillus usually starts out looking like broken ice and then films all over. It could be any bacteria, true, but there are many species of lactobacillus, and it is the most common in beer spoilage followed by pediococcus.

Good enough?

Nope, tons of bacteria can create a pelicle like lacto.

Beer golf is right, its impossible to diagnose it with the naked eye and even if you had a microscope you prob wouldn't even know how to identify lacto.

if that guy bottled the beer, hes prob gonna have gushers and possible bottle bombs.

Nope, tons of bacteria can create a pelicle like lacto.

Beer golf is right, its impossible to diagnose it with the naked eye and even if you had a microscope you prob wouldn't even know how to identify lacto.

if that guy bottled the beer, hes prob gonna have gushers and possible bottle bombs.

Ok. I never stated as a fact that it was lactobacillus, all I said was it was "probably lactobacillus". It is infected though, and lactobacillus is the most common source of infection.

All I was trying to get across was that it was infected, but they should still try it.

Had I known this was going to turn into such a big issue, I wouldn't have even bothered.

Again... I said "probably lactobacillus", because statistically it has the highest probability, and has a similar pellicle. I never said for certain it was.

I also never said to bottle.

Maybe actually read sometime, instead of just trolling.

just so everyone knows, I was looking for whether it was some weird thing from pumpkin, or was it infected with anything. My fears were confirmed when I checked it a few days later.

Then I dumped it, because screw dealing with that. Threw the bucket, wine thief, top, and air lock in the trash. I wasnt about to put that in a keg, infect my keg, line and tap as well.

pumpkin infection.jpg

When my NZ IPA got infected, I was able to save the beer. It turned out pretty good, actually. But the Brewer's Best Ale Pail, tubing, & muslin grain bag went south. It didn't have a lid seal anyway, & leaked wort, etc during initial fermentation. Here's a shot of it;

Replaced it with this 7.9G shorty new from Midwest;

I've since installed an Italian spigot in it. It has a good lid seal & is shorter, so it'd fit a cabinet I have in mind eventually.

Again... I said "probably lactobacillus", because statistically it has the highest probability, and has a similar pellicle. I never said for certain it was.

I also never said to bottle.

Maybe actually read sometime, instead of just trolling.

lol @ saying that im trolling cause i called you out on giving bad info.

Maybe think before you post misleading info.

"statistically it has the highest probability" <- more info you pulled out of your ass.

This is a lambic that has been fermenting for about two months now. Not really a pellicle to speak of yet, but there is some whitish gunk starting to build up along the edges. No telling if it's from the lacto, pedio, or brett in the lambic blend.
13X76k0.jpg

lol @ saying that im trolling cause i called you out on giving bad info.

Maybe think before you post misleading info.

"statistically it has the highest probability" <- more info you pulled out of your ass.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1444404891.744349.jpg
Not pulled out of my ass. Even if I'm wrong, you saying I'm wrong -- without any evidence to back up your claim -- doesn't do any good either.

Either way, still don't know why you're blowing this all out of proportion. For the final time, I was saying "probably", and for some reason you thought I was giving a definitive answer. Not sure how else to explain this to you. I don't know how me posting a general guess is considered misleading info, but I'm done feeding the troll.

I brewed my first beer but I had some complications and in all the fuss didn't really sanitize any equipment after boiling, before putting the beer in kegs that was in touch with it.

What is the worst thing that can happen? How will I know if the beer is infected or something?

I brewed my first beer but I had some complications and in all the fuss didn't really sanitize any equipment after boiling, before putting the beer in kegs that was in touch with it.

What is the worst thing that can happen? How will I know if the beer is infected or something?

1. Were they new kegs?
2. Were they at least washed out?
3. Was the racking cane and tubing new and at least washed out, or whatever you used to transfer?
4. Are you using a keg as your primary fermenter?

Depending on how clean everything was that touched the beer, you may be ok. But you might want to expect an infection, if everything wasn't washed out and was exposed to air for a while. Not sure if all your equipment is brand new. Bacteria and wild yeast can be airborne, and then land on/in your equipment.

You'll usually know it's infected from a pellicle on the surface. Worst thing that can happen is you have to dump your beer, or on the positive side you could end up with a sour style beer. Either way, if it becomes infected, still taste your beer at least. I would even do it twice, and one week apart to see if it improves over time.

kegs were sanitized for sure and I use them as my fermenter...
tubes and filters were only washed out, so that got me worried. will see in few days and I will post a picture

kegs were sanitized for sure and I use them as my fermenter...

So do you just open the valve to off gas every so often, or do you just let it ferment under pressure?

tubes and filters were only washed out, so that got me worried. will see in few days and I will post a picture

Did you filter your beer before putting them into a keg to ferment?

Whats everyone's thoughts on this one. Smoked Porter, Been in the Primary now 2 weeks today. It doesn't Look to terrible but a few weird bubbles and a film on top of the beer.

33nhn5e.jpg

Whats everyone's thoughts on this one. Smoked Porter, Been in the Primary now 2 weeks today. It doesn't Look to terrible but a few weird bubbles and a film on top of the beer.

33nhn5e.jpg

Pretty sure that film on top is the start of a pellicle. Looks like there's a white chunk floating at the top too. I'd say it's infected

Im afraid your right, This would be my first infected batch. Not sure the best practice to take from here. I just took a hydrometer reading and its a 1.018 and doesn't taste sour or any off flavors I can detect. I would be worried though to put this in my keg and chance infecting my lines and what not. So is it best to leave it alone for a little bit or is my best option to just bottle this quickly and hope for the best?

I would let it finish out and make sure the gravity readings are the same a week apart, then taste it again.

If you bottle it will still keep going, it's not just limited to the surface it's all throughout your beer. You don't want bottle bombs.

I would let it finish out and make sure the gravity readings are the same a week apart, then taste it again.

If you bottle it will still keep going, it's not just limited to the surface it's all throughout your beer. You don't want bottle bombs.

^^^ this. If the gravity is dropping, change the week timeframe to a month. Bottle once it's stable. It might be fine, but don't take a chance on exploding bottles.

This is it, after 11 days of fermentation. So what do you think? Supposed to be APA.
I tasted it also, it was ok. Just a bit stale/bland/tasteless (dont know what is the right word I am looking for - ahhh those foreigners!?!? :D). But I red it is supposed to be before carbonation.

12053094_10207361349687605_542286128_n.jpg

12053401_10207361350127616_841873588_n.jpg

Does this look like pellicle? It's been about 3-4 weeks in primary. Worth racking, or dump? Thanks!

rg2HLYC.jpg

Definitely a pellicle. When it tests as low as the FG will go, bottle it up & keep in a safe place, just in case you get random gushers or bottle bombs.

I've spent the better part of a year battling this "house strain" of mold, so I've decided I'm going to stop brewing until I figure this one out.

I'm pretty sure this is the same infection as one in the inaugural post of this thread, which talks about the flavor being "bitter but not hop bitter." When I've posted previous occurrences, folks have said it *looks* like lacto, but it has a shi**y bitterness and no sour taste.

I soak my carboys (Better bottles) in bleach solution, along with my auto-syphon, racking hose, aeration hoses, and thief. I rinse them out with hot water, and then sanitize them with Star-San. I boil my diffusion stone and then soak it in Star-San.

My solution for a long time was just to not open the damn thing for 10 days, then bottle whatever was there (it was usually all fermented by then). This meant no gravity tests, no racking to secondary, no dry-hopping. If the seal came off any time before bottling, that crud started growing and the batch was ready to feed to the fish. Whenever I bottled anything that did have crud growth, there was always a film at the top of the bottles and a very nasty bitterness. This last batch sat for three weeks without being opened and still went off, but I think the bung was a bit loose.

My theory has been that this stuff can't compete with yeast during active fermentation, because it doesn't show up until secondary or if there's been some sort of oxygen leak. All of my beers have had a faint mustiness that only I notice, which suggests to me that this thing has been there all along but can't grow if I keep the oxygen out. I have no idea if this is actually correct. I have never seen this infection take root after bottling if it wasn't already there when I bottled.

I plan to replace the carboys and use a new racking hose, auto-siphon, thief, diffusion stone, and aeration hose. It has also occurred to me that this could be coming from the wort chiller - I tend to do small batches and the coil does not get entirely immersed. Perhaps something is surviving in there despite me boiling the bottom half of the coil for 5 or 10 mins.

My only other thought is that this could somehow be airborne in the kitchen where I brew and the bathroom where I leave the carboys. This is perhaps a self-indulgent theory, as it would blame pesky floating spores rather than my own sanitation incompetence. If anyone's heard of the latter please let me know, as I'll probably have to settle for don't-open-the-damn-thing-and-put-up-with-the-musty-flavor approach, which I think I'd actually be OK with.

Thanks, Brian

Moldy Pale Ale 1.jpg

Moldy Pale Ale 2.jpg

Moldy Pale Ale 3.jpg

Try cleaning your immersion coil and the soaking it in a bucket of star-San solution for a half hour. The acid should turn it all bright and shiny and make sure it's completely sanitized. I've only boiled the coil once and didn't like it. The coil gets super got for the tubes for the first set of water. Where if I have it in my star San then I can run water through it to fill the sink and cool it down before. I usually get my wort down to 70 in 10 min with an ice bath using frozen water bottles and the immersion coil.

Could be in the plastic of the fermenter or your equipment.

Also, I would use pbw or oxiclean free instead of bleach. Bleach is a sanitizer more than a cleaner. It won't remove organic material like pbw or oxiclean does.

I agree. When things get nasties mixed with krausen crud, trub, etc, I'll hose it out real good, then soak in 3-4 TBSP's of PBW with room temp water filled up to the top of where the crud line was. Stir till PBW is dissolved, then let it sit a couple days. Brush it inside now & then after the first day. Then drain & rinse well. Soak/swish with Starsan after that, having first removed any spigots & soaked/cleaned/sanitized them before re-installing to swish the sanitizer around it. Wipe it dry & allow to air dry a bit.
I have a keg line cleaner 66" long with a 3/8" brush to use with PBW to clean my tubing inside with. A soft cloth with PBW outside. Rinse & use a small funnel to pour rinse water through the tubing, then Starsan before draining & hanging up to dry. This should stop nasties from starting colonies inside the tubing till used next time. If the tubing is stained pretty bad inside from long use, replace them. I even soak airlock parts in PBW, then treat the same as the other parts.
After cleaning & rinsing, you could then bl;each-bomb the stuff. Then rise very well with very warm water (in the case of plastics) till bleach smell is gone. Then proceed with Starsan...

Well here's an unfortunate infection. I had a rare yeast strain that I had been propagating pitched into a Galaxy/Cascade hoppy american wheat. I find that starsan rapidly evaporates during the vigorous part of fermentation, so I often have to fill it up. I usually just take it out and fill it in my bucket with starsan. Sometimes it's a little sticky, so I have to push and pull and twist to get it out. This time I accidentally pushed the rubber gasket through the hole, and then automatic muscle response had me pulling back up on the airlock, which dislodged the gasket and into the beer. ****. Well I opted to let it ride instead of soaking my arm or some tongs in starsan and trying to fish it out, hoping that nothing would happen. At two weeks into fermentation, open it up to find this...

Sorry for the long story, by the way.

My wife is currently in a biology class, so she asked her teacher if we could take some in and look at it under the microscope. He thought he had what one needs to do some gram staining, but turns out he didn't. I was actually rooting for it being a lactic bacteria so that I could propagate it to pitch into a berliner weisse at some point, but now I don't really know for sure what it is. Although I will say, the fermentor smells more like lactic sour than acetic sour. So my hunch is that it's lactic, but no way to really be sure. I'm hoping the teacher will order the stuff necessary to do the gram stain, and I left a jar with the infected beer back in his lab.

One question though for anybody who knows their stuff: what are those bigger cells that the rods seem to be surrounding/attached to? Is it just a water cell?

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

To make bleach a cleaner you just mix it with soap.

When I have an infection I bleach the he'll out of everything. That means pouring bleach in my fermentors, making sure it coats the entire surface, and then I leave this in the California Sun for a day. You'll kill everything in that bucket. Make sure to take apart all the nozzles, I rings, if you have them, the air lock, soak the lid as well. Additionally, the place you brew at, spray allllll the surfaces down with 70% ipa or ethanol before brewing. I'd bleach it, even, if it made sense to do so. Also turn off any fans/AC during fermentation to minimize airborne particles.

Brush it inside now & then after the first day.

I probably wouldn't use a brush on plastic fermenters. That could cause scratches, allowing for more infections.

I would just mix hot water and pbw and let it sit for a day, dump it out and rinse it with hot water a few time. Then when it looks clean just repeat the pbw and hot water for another day, and the rinse out again with hot water a few times.

I use a bottle brush lightly, as they're both plastic...the brush being monofilament. Lightly done, since the gunk is soft, works fine.

Well I've been enjoying the fact that all my noob beers have been turning out great, and wondered why I haven't suffered any infections while people more versed and talented in the art have fallen. Well, that wish might have finally been granted =p

emAKpzu.jpg

UGCzTsg.jpg

The intention was to build a darker saision with mostly brett in primary. Pitched with the dregs of Anchorage's Tide and it's Takers, and Logsdon's Seizon Bretta. Yeast started 2 days prior to pitching.

The visual isn't what bothers me, its the strong scent of rotten eggs/ sewage. Funnily enough it reminds me of the scent of Anchorage's Whiteout Wit.

Thoughts?

Well I've been enjoying the fact that all my noob beers have been turning out great, and wondered why I haven't suffered any infections while people more versed and talented in the art have fallen. Well, that wish might have finally been granted =p

emAKpzu.jpg

UGCzTsg.jpg

The intention was to build a darker saision with mostly brett in primary. Pitched with the dregs of Anchorage's Tide and it's Takers, and Logsdon's Seizon Bretta. Yeast started 2 days prior to pitching.

The visual isn't what bothers me, its the strong scent of rotten eggs/ sewage. Funnily enough it reminds me of the scent of Anchorage's Whiteout Wit.

Thoughts?

So you added Brett beer dregs and then pitched the yeast?

Back