Missing Target Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callisbeers

Reaction score
I read the article posted on here and it was very helpful. However, I wanted to post this just to see if anyone had any thoughts. For my last batch, target gravity was 1.053 and 75% efficiency. My pre boil OG was 1.036 which I thought was not bad (I had calculated that i needed a 1.040 ish in order to finish at the target gravity). I added about 1/2 lb of DME to get the pre boil to 1.040. Post boil OG was 1.046 at 70 degrees. I had a nice rapid boil for 60 minutes. Not sure what happened.

Brewed again this morning. Similar situation, OG after boil was slightly lower than expected (1.042 vs 1.046) , but OG after boil was much lower (1.052 vs 1.064). Boil volume came out correct.

This wouldn't be a problem if I was brewing the recipe for the first time, but I ma trying to recreate some of my better beers.

Could this issue have anything to do with the website I am using? I was using Hopville and then had to switch to Brewtoad. This problem has happened with the last 3 batches, all were ones that were brought over from Hopville to Brewtoad during the transition.

Back