Yeast cultures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frostyp

Reaction score
Just used first yeast culture in my first ever starter wort , a brewlab slope.
Added cooled wort to vile to dislodge , just can out like a big blob of jelly into flask , I thought it would have seperated , is this normal or have I screwed up my first starter

I'm not 100% sure exactly what you're describing, but if the yeast was clumping in a jelly-like blob, it is probably just really condensed. What temperature were you storing the yeast at and what temp was it when you saw it in blog form?

Has been out of fridge half an hour , instructions said too dislodge yeast by shaking wort less than 30*c I expected it all to Seperate from the agar jelly but it didn't so the jelly has all gone in as well

should be alright. When ever I grow stuff on agar, I scrape it off with my loop and its just a blob because there is some agar in it I think. It spreads out.

Tinga said:
should be alright. When ever I grow stuff on agar, I scrape it off with my loop and its just a blob because there is some agar in it I think. It spreads out.

The whole culture was a blob, to be honest I thought was on a piece of plastic or something and that it would dissolve completely off that and fall into wort leaving the carrier behind ! Stupid me I'm watching go around my starter flask and can see the blobs thought it would have dissolved by now

Thought it was going to dissolve within the vile with the warm wort, didn't expect it just to blob into flask watching now can see the jelly going around and around , hope it's not buggered up

Yes the whole thing just blob bed in I was expecting one thing to Seperate from anothet

Back