Stir plate not swirling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strongarm

Reaction score
Just built my stir plate. I can get a swirl going in a mason jar but when I put my 2l flask on it the stir bar just rattles and flings to the side. I'm using magnets placed in the center of the fan from a hard drive. Controller thing for the speed and 3/4" or 1" stir bar with no bump in the middle. Any suggestions? 4 hours messing with this thing and I'm about to go just buy one.

If you hold the flask about an inch above the plate surface and turn it on does it work? Sometimes it takes a little tinkering to get it dialed in just right. Mine was doing something similar> I had to raise it up off the surface slightly and it worked

I tried all the way from touching the magnet to being 3-4 inches away. No luck. I have to position the stir bar in the center of the flask to get the magnet to even attract it then it rattles and flings to the side.

Sounds to me like you may be running the the fan at too high of a speed. Try starting at full power so the fan starts and then quickly (like at the same time you turn it on) dial it down to half power. That's what I have to do with mine or it will immediately throw the stir bar.

Yeah, run it as slow as possible. Mine throws at any higher speeds but will run for 24 hours no problem on lowest setting. You don't need a full vortex, just to keep the yeast from settling to the bottom.

I put some dip-tube o-rings on either side of my stir-bar and it spins much better now. Of course mine has a fulcrum in the center, using a 1.5" stir-bar.

Back