China Made Fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I visited Haishun this morning and spent 2 hours there. In short form, I think everyone will be safe ordering from there. Below is a summary of my observations and some photos.

Materials: They order their steel stock in coil form in large quantities from a single source. Typically about 20T per lot. They get 3rd party confirmation of the material certs prior to delivery. They had a bad experience with some of their first brewery tanks in 2006 due to purchasing some sheet from a local distributor, and that drove them to their current supplier and attention to selection. I saw a sampling of their material certificates. They do outsource the machined items such as tri-clamp fittings and components. Although not applicable to the fermenters, for motorized equipment they source Siemens motors, Metler Toledo load cells, and other global brands to ensure reliability and serviceability in their export markets.

Workshop: It is a Chinese factory, no doubt about that. They have 2 separate workshops which I'd estimate at around 20,000 square feet. One is used for metal cutting and fabrication of control panel housings. They have duplicate equipment, one dedicated to the stainless and the other for the cold rolled steel used in the control housings. The stainless tank fabrication shop is dusty and dirty from all the grinding and polishing work happening. They are obviously busy with most of the floorspace utilized. At the time of my visit, there were no home brew sized units completed on the floor. Most of the work in progress was larger, 7-20 bbl. There was a 300L unit which had completed the jacket installation, but wasn't clad yet.

Processes: All welding is manual. They do have some machines for grinding and polishing the radial seam welds. All the welds for fittings, leg attachments, etc. are ground and polished manually. In all the parts I looked at, I could not see any surface porosity or cracks in the welds. In some of the photos below you may get that impression, but what you are probably seeing is dust on the surface. I noted a couple places where the welders were referencing a packet of drawings and specs for their specific job which was on the floor with them, because there is no standard unit. Nearly all their orders are customized.

Inspection: There is an inspection step by a QC person of the prepped components prior to going to the tank fabrication area. They do a 6 bar water pressure test of the jackets prior to insulating and cladding them. They test the final tank completed tank to 2 bar.

Products: Brewing equipment is about 40% of their business. Of that, they mostly make small to medium sized units. The homebrew items are just a small piece of the business. They don't normally put a jacket on anything less than 1 bbl or 100L. They can jacket a 20 gallon, but don't recommend it. There just isn't much effective area on it by the time they work around any connections, legs, etc. His preferred minimum buy is 10 pieces. That's not for efficiency in the process, because they don't require them to be all the same design or size. It's more for the efficiency of managing the exportation documents and clearances. They can accommodate specific requirements. They will provide a drawing per your request for review. So if there are multiple requests, make sure you get and review each individual drawings.

I'll be ordering one 15 gallon fermenter directly from them, since I have the luxury of being local, avoiding the 17% VAT, and no exportation required. Lead time is 2 months based on their current order book.

P1050081.jpg

P1050084.jpg

P1050088.jpg

P1050089.jpg

P1050091.jpg

wow. I was thinking as reading this thread from the beginning this wouldn't turn out too good...

I say that because from another site, car/truck related, someone had found stainless truck headers cheap from China & started to spread the word on how cheap they were in price... When others ordered them & went to install they:

1 didn't fit correctly
2 were a cheap softer grade stainless & not what grade they said they were
3 the welds looked like a 6yr old ran a wire feed around them

It is awesome a member actually went and did a plant tour, even more awesome they let you take some pictures!! Those look very nice.

I am in for 2 15 gallon non-jacketed fermenters. Provided we can confirm the following:

-They do have the 25% headspace.
-I can get it all 1.5" triclamp fittings
-I assume they don't come with any valves etc...but can we confirm this?
-If possible I would like to not have the thermowell on the side and have a 2nd triclamp fitting in the lid. (one in the center for a new thermowell and 1 off center for airlock/blowoff)

Do we know what the costs are looking like to have these shipped over yet?

I am in for 2 15 gallon non-jacketed fermenters. Provided we can confirm the following:

-They do have the 25% headspace.
-I can get it all 1.5" triclamp fittings
-I assume they don't come with any valves etc...but can we confirm this?
-If possible I would like to not have the thermowell on the side and have a 2nd triclamp fitting in the lid. (one in the center for a new thermowell and 1 off center for airlock/blowoff)

Do we know what the costs are looking like to have these shipped over yet?

I'm definitely not taking over for Cranky, but I can address some of these. The 7/10/15gal homebrew units are not 25% headspace. The 15 gallon is closer to 65L total volume or 17+ gallons. For me that was fine, because I figured max batch would be about 12 gallons pitching volume, but a true 15 gallon batch may be an issue.

The valve on the racking port and bottom dump are normally assumed included. You can get what you want for tri-clamps, thermowell's etc.

To get a final quote on shipping, a final number on units is necessary. Any numbers provided prior are just rough estimates assuming 10 units.

My recommendation is for people to decide if they're in or out. Use the previous pricing guidance and quit waffling, then proceed to step 2 which would be spec'ing out each person's units for a final quotation. For example, if the totals are 4x 15 gallon, 5x 1bbl and 1x 2bbl, then I expect they will provide Cranky with a standard drawing for each. Then people could mark that up for the specific items they want. Drawings would be updated by Haishun and a formal quote provided. I'd recommend Cranky look through each person's drawings of common sizes to see if people can agree on a common configuration - not required, but I think it would make it easier.

I'll share my drawing once I get it next week. I requested a thermowell sized for a Ranco temp probe located below the 20L level line, heavy duty casters, and an immersion cooling coil integrated in with some turns also below 20L so I can use a simple temp control setup with an aquarium pump and ice water in a cooler. Most of my batches will still be 5-6 gallons for now until I can upgrade my little mash tun, which probably won't happen until I return to the US. Although now I'm mulling over a second conical, tossing in my false bottom, installing a heating element below that, buying a March pump, and building a controller for a RIMS configuration... but alas, I'm already stretching the wife's sense of reasonable "investments".

I agree. That's why I didn't put a dash by the shipping costs question. Though I do think it's important to have at the very least a rough estimate.

I know they usually come with valves... But who knows what happens when you order direct from China... Would still like to see that in writing somewhere. I know I can buy them I already own a conical... I'll be OK as long as all the fittings are 1.5" Tri-Clamp.

Headspace sounds fine for my needs.

Like I said. In for two 15 gallon unjacketed.

I'm in for 2x 1.5bbl unjacketed.

Paypal would be good.

How are we going to do the payments? 30% to get the order rolling, balance when they're ready to ship?

I'm in Seattle, so no shipping required, and give me a PM Cranky, I can probably help facilitate shipping/freight for everyone.

i think its gunna turn out great.. good prices.. also once we place our order and all our tanks are ready to ship they said they can hold onto them all for us and get them looked for from Quaker to make sure all welds are up to spec.. ( if quaker has the time ) and its a 2 month lead time soo..

paypal is good for me if its good for everyone else ?

im just trying to get the dimensions of the shipping boxes they would be using for each fermenter so i can plug that into shipping calculator and get those estimates out.. could i get your zip codes ? pm with your zip codes and order and i will get back to you on the estimate..

Im thinking we should do 50% upfront and then once they are ready to ship the other 50% ?

So if i want a 20 gallon non jacketed'its 670. Thats delivered to my door? Or do i have to pay shipping from china to CBB,then pay shipping from CBB to me? Also, this comes with all the fittings becessary? Just trying to understand what makes this so appealing when the 22 gallon brewhemoth, which is made in America, is 639. Also, did anyone confirm through Glacier that their tanks come from this source or did you just take wun hung lo's word for it?

In the first post pricing is FOB? FOB to their port or US? Who's picking them up from the US port? Does the FOB price include VAT? I'm on the east coast and shipping for a 1 BBL is about $400.00 each. Add any more fees and I might as well buy from a reputable source here in the US like Glacier especially if they are the same quality just for the piece of mind.

1BBL non jacketed $750.00 + 17% VAT = $877.50 + Shipping to East Coast $400.00 =$1277.50 + Warranty?? What happens if damaged during delivery (happens all the time)?? There is too many ???

Quaker- I’m not waffling just trying to get a grip on the actual cost to determine if there is any value? We are fortunate to have you as our eyes at the factory but in the end is it worth risking thousands of dollars on fermenters that literally have no warranty. I’m not sure Glacier tanks is going to rush to our aid if there is something wrong with them?? They are backed up 12 weeks.

Based on the lack of info and???? I’m not willing to risk it. Good luck with your buy.

I’m out…………..

Get a good customs broker to arrange shipping. There will be duties to pay, trucking fees, etc. If the shipment gets randomly called for inspection that adds to the cost. That vendor's prices are not all that great. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back