5 weeks in bottles beer is drinkable but still the slight alcohol taste and smell?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewtus72

Reaction score
Hey guys the last time I posted my beer was a week old, my autmn amber ale and it had an alcohol taste and smell. My beer is now 5 weeks old and is wonderfully carbed now and looks fantastic and leaves great lacing.....but it still has the alcohol smell and taste it is bby no means as bad as it was but its deffinately not tasting the way I had expected you can taste some of the honey and caramel flavor of the malt but still that alcohol is this ever going to subside? Could it b that it turned out a way higher abv than actually thought? I need some reassurance guys will another couple weeks help or is this beer a lost cause? I can sure taste the underlying poten tial of a great beer but the alcohol taste has got to subside.

Hey guys the last time I posted my beer was a week old, my autmn amber ale and it had an alcohol taste and smell. My beer is now 5 weeks old and is wonderfully carbed now and looks fantastic and leaves great lacing.....but it still has the alcohol smell and taste it is bby no means as bad as it was but its deffinately not tasting the way I had expected you can taste some of the honey and caramel flavor of the malt but still that alcohol is this ever going to subside? Could it b that it turned out a way higher abv than actually thought? I need some reassurance guys will another couple weeks help or is this beer a lost cause? I can sure taste the underlying poten tial of a great beer but the alcohol taste has got to subside.

My first thought is that the alcohol taste comes from a too-warm of a fermentation temperature and/or a poor yeast strain and underpitching of the yeast. If that is the case, and fusel alcohols were created, it won't fade much more.

Which yeast strain did you use, and did you keep the beer under 68 degrees?

Yooper im goin to be honest I dont exactly remember which is why from now on I will keep a journal of everything used. I do know the yeast was only like 20 days old it was a wyeast american ale yeast I am going to say 1506 i smacked it 2 hours before brewing and by the time it was ready to pitch it wad so swollen I wad honestly scaref it would explode. I fermented anywhere from 68 to 72 degrees the only mistake I made with temp was pitching the yeast right at 80 instead of under so this may be the culprit

A high pitch temp would def cause some off flavors. But in my experience,the place where the fermenter is would have to be warm enough to keep it from cooling down overnight. I've had that happen once.

I checked it like 2 hours later and it was down to like 72 the room I had it in stays in the mid 60's I close all the vents and shut the doors so no heat flowing to jack the temp up I mean the alcohol taste is honestly not bad its just hindering the beers great flavors and is keeping it from being great. But it has subsided durasticaly since week one of bottling my beer actually just carbed right this week which was 5 weeks

Latest posts

Back