What is your favorite honey for a Show Mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pennachi

Reaction score
I want to start a 6 gallon batch of show mead on Saturday.

I already have an orange blossom show and a blueberry blossom show in secondary.

Bonus points if you link to a good source that I could order from and receive by Saturday (probably Friday) or something within a reasonable driving distance of Wilmington, Delaware or Dover, Delaware.

I'll be using yeast energizer, nutrient and Lalvin 71B-1122

Just to be technical, if you add nutrients and energizers it is not a "Show Mead" - that term being reserved for meads made with only yeast, honey and water. What you will be making is referred to as a traditional mead. Show meads are finicky and can be difficult to ferment without special care, so I'd encourage you to stick to the traditional and use the nutrients.

Try Bee Folks for some great honey (not cheap, but great).

As for varietals, Tupelo, sourwood, blackberry and raspberry can all make great traditionals. Many folks like Mesquite. Meadowfoam can be good, but I haven't been able to make it as a dry mead that I was happy with. YMMV.

My bad, I didn't realize added energizer and nutrients changed it from show to traditional..

My fav is acacia honey. It's very floral & delicate, not a honey to make high ABV stuff.
A 12% show mead made with acacia honey is a VERY nice thing: goes down easy, floral, delicate, yet distinct in it's flavour.
The problem with acacia honey is that it's expensive & sometimes tough to find; the stuff I get is imported from France, but sourced in Hungary:
http://www.vitacost.com/St-Dalfour-Acacia-Honey?csrc=GPF-PA-084380959356&ci_sku=084380959356&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}
Regards, GF.

I've had great success with blueberry blossom honey(better then orange blossom IMO). Honeylocator.com has a great filter for locating different varietals and distributors.

I want to start a 6 gallon batch of show mead on Saturday.

I already have an orange blossom show and a blueberry blossom show in secondary.

Bonus points if you link to a good source that I could order from and receive by Saturday (probably Friday) or something within a reasonable driving distance of Wilmington, Delaware or Dover, Delaware.

I'll be using yeast energizer, nutrient and Lalvin 71B-1122
I like meads made from meadofoam honey.

Tupelo honey makes a great mead, but if this is a question about show meads I generally avoid them. I prefer the lack of stress that nutrients provide so my varietal honey meads tend to be trads rather than show meads...

Tupelo honey makes a great mead, but if this is a question about show meads I generally avoid them. I prefer the lack of stress that nutrients provide so my varietal honey meads tend to be trads rather than show meads...
Yeah, but technically you can use dead bread yeast as nutrient and not violate the rules. Even "specific inactivated yeasts" like opti-white and booster blanc would pass muster.

Back