The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been busy as hell, so I haven't been on much. So, in case you missed it, the MLS playoffs rolled on on Sunday, with all of the home teams, which were the lower seeds, taking a lead on the road this Sunday. Here's how I see things shaking out:

New York Red Bulls vs Montreal Impact
The Impact took a narrows 1-0 lead in Montreal last Sunday, but this should be all New York. The Red Bulls have one of the best home records in MLS this season and the golden boot winner should score at least one at home. I see NYRB taking this one 2-1 on aggregate.

Toronto FC vs New York City FC
Toronto took a 2-0 lead in Toronto while NYCFC maestro Pirlo was out. Pirlo may still be out, but either way I don't think NYCFC is digging their way out of this hole. Add in that Sebastian Giovinco had, for him, an off night in Toronto and he's had very good luck vs NYCFC, and I don't think this one is in question. 3-1 Toronto FC.

Colorado Rapids vs LA Galaxy
LA may have taken the lead at home, but LA's away form has been questionable all season and Colorado's has been great. With Jermaine Jones on the recovery path, I see Colorado taking this one in a nailbiter, 2-1 overtime for the Rapids.

FC Dallas vs Sounders FC
Seattle took a commanding 3-0 lead against the best team in the regular season, a shocking upset. Dallas is wounded and has a hill to climb, I don't think they will. Sounders take this one 3-2.

New York Red Bulls vs Montreal Impact
The Impact took a narrows 1-0 lead in Montreal last Sunday, but this should be all New York. The Red Bulls have one of the best home records in MLS this season and the golden boot winner should score at least one at home. I see NYRB taking this one 2-1 on aggregate.

Toronto FC vs New York City FC
Toronto took a 2-0 lead in Toronto while NYCFC maestro Pirlo was out. Pirlo may still be out, but either way I don't think NYCFC is digging their way out of this hole. Add in that Sebastian Giovinco had, for him, an off night in Toronto and he's had very good luck vs NYCFC, and I don't think this one is in question. 3-1 Toronto FC.

so right now we have Canada 2 w/ two wins over their NY foes - WTF? is this the making of a Canadian Super Cup?

North London Derby Day.

This time around I'm terrified. Our form lately has been subpar at best. Tuesday against Bayer at Wembley was absolutely sh**.

I hope Poch has spewed rage on the boys. And thank f***ing god Dier isn't playing CB. He needed to put Wimmer in for Toby from the start. Also a 4-3-2-1 might as well be parking the bus for Poch. He must be as nervous as I am lol

Looks like Liverpool has a mind to one up Chelsea. Wow Watford looks terrible.

Oh, and a draw was the best I realisticly hoped for against Arsenal. Of course we scored all the goals. Poor Wimmer, unlucky header own goal. He was decent otherwise. No Toby but better than Dier. Dier was strong back in his normal role. But not a loss is not a loss, we stay undefeated and close to the top pack, so it could be worse.

Of course we still can't score unless it's from the spot.

And Walker, and Dele now also injured.

This season is going down the tubes.

Also it's always more fun at the pub with the supporters club. If you ignore the sea of red in the back.

Photo taken at kickoff and shamelessly stolen from our pub's twitter.

View attachment 1478445094736.jpg

Oh and what I saw marked/expected as a 4-3-2-1 was more of a 3-4-3 in practice.... But anyway.

Been a long weekend of early drinking. I'll stop inanely rambling.

Alright, time to guess the lineup for the USMNT for Mexico

GK - Howard
RB - Yedlin
CB - Brooks
CB - Besler
LB - Johnson
RM - Bedoya
CM - Bradley
CM - Kljestan
LM - Baby Messi
ST - Jozy
ST - Wood

Why I think this happens. I think Baby Messi has a great chance to start. He's earned it IMO. If you can start in the Championsleague, you can start in a game like this.

Jones would normally be my pick for Jurgen, but he's only been back for a few games, Jurgen may not be able to risk him coming on to start this game. What I expect to see is Jones come on later in the match for an added boost.

My top 4 picks for likely subs are Johannsson, Green, Gonzalez, and Jones. Depending on the team need.

GK - Howard
RB - Yedlin
CB - Brooks
CB - Besler
LB - Johnson
RM - Bedoya
CM - Bradley
CM - Kljestan
LM - Baby Messi
ST - Jozy
ST - Wood

Why I think this happens. I think Baby Messi has a great chance to start. He's earned it IMO. If you can start in the Championsleague, you can start in a game like this.

Jones would normally be my pick for Jurgen, but he's only been back for a few games, Jurgen may not be able to risk him coming on to start this game. What I expect to see is Jones come on later in the match for an added boost.

My top 4 picks for likely subs are Johannsson, Green, Gonzalez, and Jones. Depending on the team need.

I largely agree with this. Geoff Cameron's injury really raises concerns on the back line. I'm between Besler and Birnbaum. Either one is a massive drop off from Cameron.

Also, add Gooch and the super sub Alan Gordon. Gooch for his pace. Gordon for an aerial target.

FWIW, I'm in section 110 row 10 tomorrow. :ban:

My son and I plan to leave right after his school's dismissal and arrive 4:30 - 5 pm. The forecast is for mid 30s around kickoff and sub freezing temperatures by games end.

Don't worry guys, with Juan Carlos Osorio coaching, we've got this in the bag. (Only half-kidding here)

GK - Howard
RB - Yedlin
CB - Brooks
CB - Besler
LB - Johnson
RM - Bedoya
CM - Bradley
CM - Kljestan
LM - Baby Messi
ST - Jozy
ST - Wood

I liked your lineup better.

IMO, this one is on Klinsmann. Terrible formation. Terrible lineup. Terrible tactics.

While still in the 3-5-3,Mexico was playing 3v2 on the sides in their final third. They did what ever they wanted. Hit the lumber several times before the goal.

On a positive note, Wood and pulisic were lights out the second half.

Next up Costa Rica.

What's your line up on that one?

Ok JK is likely to be coming with his lineup soon.

I like my original lineup, but I put Chandler in instead of Yedlin.

I didn't hate the 3-5-2. I think the problem was Jones and Bradley. They sucked overall. I don't think they will with enough reps but I think it was a ballsy and bad move to make.

That was...bad by the USMNT, really bad. Losing to Costa Rica in Costa Rica is not exactly a new thing, but 4-0? And in a lackluster manner too. As much as I think Klinsmann has ushered in some positive changes at the player development level, I think it's probably time for him to go as coach. If he's willing to stay on as technical director, then I think that will be great, but I don't think he can continue coaching.

That was...bad by the USMNT, really bad. Losing to Costa Rica in Costa Rica is not exactly a new thing, but 4-0? And in a lackluster manner too. As much as I think Klinsmann has ushered in some positive changes at the player development level, I think it's probably time for him to go as coach. If he's willing to stay on as technical director, then I think that will be great, but I don't think he can continue coaching.

hate to be that guy but I will be that guy - Timmy Chandler played the full 90 - I am not surprised by that scoreline - on the first goal, he was no where in sight on that right flank & that enabled the cross to get into the box - don't care if Chandler plays in the Bundesliga - Yedlin>Chandler

hate to be that guy but I will be that guy - Timmy Chandler played the full 90 - I am not surprised by that scoreline - on the first goal, he was no where in sight on that right flank & that enabled the cross to get into the box - don't care if Chandler plays in the Bundesliga - Yedlin>Chandler

I don't necessarily disagree, I just don't think it was all Chandler. Quite frankly, the team looked like it gave up; in a way I haven't seen since Bob Bradley was coach. I usually don't like the idea of switching coaches mid-qualifying...but at this point you have to think about it.

The first goal the US national team gave up was very telling. When the ball was played over Omar Gonzalez's head, he just trotted towards the back line. There was no urgency to track down the ball, recover or close down the attacker. With no pressure on the ball it was an easy chip header. It's like the guys have completely lost any enthusiasm to play for Klinsmann. I can't really blame them the way Klinsmann throws them under the bus on after each bad match

Also, it looked like we were playing a 3-4-3,the way Timmy Chandler was playing so high up the pitch. It might have been listed as a 4-4-2, but for all practical purposes it was a 3-5-2.

I used to be a Klinsmann supporter, but I think he has to go. It's like the players don't want to play for him any longer.

If there's a coaching change, I'd like Marsch to get consideration. Until this year I think Berhalter deserved some consideration too, but his year has been a disaster(CCSC supporter here).

If a coaching change is made, who would you like to see take the reigns?

The first goal the US national team gave up was very telling. When the ball was played over Omar Gonzalez's head, he just trotted towards the back line. There was no urgency to track down the ball, recover or close down the attacker. With no pressure on the ball it was an easy chip header. It's like the guys have completely lost any enthusiasm to play for Klinsmann. I can't really blame them the way Klinsmann throws them under the bus on after each bad match

Also, it looked like we were playing a 3-4-3,the way Timmy Chandler was playing so high up the pitch. It might have been listed as a 4-4-2, but for all practical purposes it was a 3-5-2.

I used to be a Klinsmann supporter, but I think he has to go. It's like the players don't want to play for him any longer.

If there's a coaching change, I'd like Marsch to get consideration. Until this year I think Berhalter deserved some consideration too, but his year has been a disaster(CCSC supporter here).

it's Bielsa or bust, imho. I'm not sure that any MLS coach is really superior to Klinsmann at this point in time; they're very good at coming up with a system...but no so great at adjusting when they can't get the sort of players their system needs. Given the high cost of buying out Klinsmann, a return to Arena (yuck) or going to Vermes (double yuck) as has been rumored is madness. The only MLS coach I'd really be curious to see is Patrick Vieira, but he's very unlikely to coach the USMNT...and I'm definitely unsure of whether or not he's truly as good as he appears to be this season.

The cost of buying out Klinsmann is a pittance compared to lost world cup revenue. I'm not saying if we keep Jurgen we miss 2018.I just don't think he's the guy any longer and now is a good time for a change.

Since we're throwing out pipe dreams for us soccer jobs, Les Reed to replace Sunil

Thinking about joining the Chicago Gooners supporters group tomorrow morning at 6:30 am for our match against Man U. Stout and an English Breakfast would be involved, of course.

Thinking about joining the Chicago Gooners supporters group tomorrow morning at 6:30 am for our match against Man U. Stout and an English Breakfast would be involved, of course.

It's always better at the pub with the supporters club. I'm there for every NLD. Trying to make a point to be there for others as well. Aside from a few taunting songs/chants it's mostly good fun even between crews. Plenty of responses to each other. And booze.

I'm planning to be around for our return to Stamford Bridge. But gonna miss the Wet Spam match tomorrow.

Nice thing is one of our investors at the brewery is a Spurs man as well, so he and I will probably watch the Monaco CL match Tuesday in our tap room when I'm done.

The cost of buying out Klinsmann is a pittance compared to lost world cup revenue. I'm not saying if we keep Jurgen we miss 2018.I just don't think he's the guy any longer and now is a good time for a change.

Since we're throwing out pipe dreams for us soccer jobs, Les Reed to replace Sunil

I don't disagree, necessarily, that replacing Klinsmann as coach is a bad idea. I just don't think Arena or Vermes are going to be better, probably they would be worse. If we are going to replace Klinsmann now, I think he has to be replaced with someone clearly superior, for me, that's Bielsa. I did a bit of pondering and considered, as well, the idea of perhaps having Oscar Pareja replace Klinsmann, and I think that would be a good upgrade. But Arena? The guy who chased away a bunch of dual nationals? Hell no. Vermes? Bashball? No damn way.

Miguel Herrera
200_s.gif
believe it or not Marcelo 'El Loco' Bielsa might work for us as well, but there is a reason why they call him El Loco
der.gif

Well, the only other coach I can think of that might work is Oscar Pareja for FC Dallas, now that I consider it. He's done very well developing young players in Dallas on a minimal budget, I'd think he could take a group of American youngsters and more funding and turn it into a powerful machine. But just like a lot of the other options I like, it's unlikely he'd take the job, ultimately he wants to coach his home country and he's unlikely to leave the cozy confines of Dallas for any other team.

in rafa we trust --- up the toon!
(sorry, unrelated to current posts but just wanted to wave the flag)

If they hire Bruce I'm gonna lose my ****. At this point I'd rather see even that jackass Vermes as head coach.

Supposedly Bielsa wants $4M to take the USMNT job, to have Landon Donovan as an assistant and MLS to move its season to a February start - again this is a rumor - probably to make people relax when Bruce Arena gets the nod

So they hired the guy who wasn't doing a good job before they hired the most recent guy who didn't do a good enough job? Who's running this outfit?

So they hired the guy who wasn't doing a good job before they hired the most recent guy who didn't do a good enough job? Who's running this outfit?

This guy:

Sunil-Gulati.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't think he knows what he's doing. Quite frankly, I don't think he has the...courage to do what is necessary to really fix US Soccer.

Latest posts

Back