Need Kolsch recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMoreBeers

Reaction score
I have 11 lbs of two row, tons of IPA hops and some time... What else do I need to make a nice Kolsch?

All props to Ed Wort...

I made his Kolsch this fall and absolutley loved it.

All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Kölsch --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WL029
Yeast Starter: Yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.009
IBU: 36
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 2 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 Days at 68 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): Crash cool to 39 for 4 days then keg

this tastes more like a pilsner than a Kölsch, though I'm using kölsch yeast. It ferments out dry so is it very crisp and with 36 ibu's, it's not sweet like a German Ale. This end up just over the edge on the style numbers for ibu, abv, og. etc, but since I'm using kölsch yeast, it's a kölsch in my book.

Darn tasty and another staple brew in my kitchen.

All Grain

7# 2 row Pils Malt
2.5 # Wheat Malt

Single infusion mash for 60 minutes at 151 degrees.

1 oz Perle 7.8% AA for 60 minutes
1/2 oz. Tettnanger 4.4% AA for 15 min.
1/2 oz. Tettnanger 4.4% AA for 5 mi.

WLP029 with a starter.

Ferment for 10 days at 68 degrees, crash cool to 39 for 4 days or longer, then rack to keg.

honestly, the ingrediants mentioned wont get you very far with a Kolsch style beer. THe 2 row might night be bad, but i'd recomend some german pils (at least at a 50/50 ratio - if not the bulk of your grains). next you could get some german hops.

At the very least get yourself some german ale yeast or some kolsch yeast.

You could sure try the 2-row, but i wouldn't go crazy with the hops, especially if they are hi alpha.

Good luck!

Flavor-wise, how does a Kolsch differ from something like a typical Bavarian Helles? I'm looking to make a lager, and I'm trying to figure out what to do.

Ideally I'd love to make some sort of Bamberg-esque lager.

@bgruis:
German breweries do not use wheat malt in Kolsch. Most of commercial examples is 100% pilsner, some with ~5% vienna or light munich. Hop aroma low to none, so it's better to add hops @60' and then @20' before end of boil. And ofc only German noble hops (Perle is not a noble hop, very dominating, can cover all other hop aromas even if added @20').

@TheBeerist:
Helles is much more malty in flavor & aroma, kolsch should be crisp and dry, more in line of dortmunder. As the grain bill is not noticeably different, the thing that makes difference is yeast - southern german strains accentuate malt, while other german strains are more balanced. And bitterness - helles is low, pils is high, dortmunder is in between.

so i need a trip to the grain store... got it.

i have a Kolsch extract kit fermenting away right now (Wyeast 2565)... I wanted to pitch an AG version onto the yeast cake and see the different between the two beers.

Back