Broken Thermometer = outrageous mash temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fpc310

Reaction score
I did an all grain American IPA yesterday, but I ran into a serious problem. I am trying to figure out exactly how serious it is.

My thermometer appeared to be working, but apparently it would be accurate up to about 150F, then it wouldn't go above that. I am guessing the mash water was nearly boiling temp at the time I added it to the mash.

After about 1 hour, I took the temp with a different thermometer and realized my mash was sitting at about 170F. I've never had this happen before. I would appreciate some insight on what to expect from this batch. I'm guessing it's ruined at this point, but I am curious since it did extract a marginally sweet tasting wort.

The first runnings gravity was about 1.12. The final gravity before racking to the fermenter was 1.05, but I did add some DME in the boil because I've been having effeciency and body problems since starting down the all grain road.

I would appreciate any comments...

Thanks,
Todd

I'm no expert, but I believe you risk extracting tannins from the grains past 170 degrees. If your mash was above that the whole time you may have an extremely bitter tannin-bodied brew.

Hopefully someone much more experienced will chime in with better details!

Tannins are the least of your concerns. You definitely got some starch conversion but probably not 100%. The beer will probably be a hazy mess with a high FG and a very "grainy" flavor.

Tannins are the least of your concerns. You definitely got some starch conversion but probably not 100%. The beer will probably be a hazy mess with a high FG and a very "grainy" flavor.

My current thought is to dump it and start over...

I'd wait and see what happens first. It's possible that something else was screwy and you did get full conversion. Just see where it stops and how it tastes after fermentation is done.

The other guys pretty much nailed the flavors (grainy and tannins) as well as the color and clarity. Should still turn out ok, and is worth letting it ferment to see how it tastes. Who knows, you may have just made your best beer yet.

Just curious - if you're still around ... did you toss the batch or let it ferment? If the latter, how did it turn out?

Latest posts

Back