Home Brew & BBQ

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
Does anyone think there is a kindred spirit with folks who brew and BBQ?

If you are close to Austin, Texas near the end of April, perhaps you might want to swing by the Texas Eggfest. It's a Saturday dedicated to folks who cook on the Big Green Egg. Most of them enjoy beer. It's on Lake Travis in a private marina which is a great venue.

I thought it would be cool to have Home Brewers there with kegs of brew on tap enjoying barley pops and awsome Q.

If you are interested, head on out to http://www.texas-eggfest.com/

That's funny Ed. I was just talking about this with my wife tonight as she BBQ'd one of the best pork roasts I have ever had!

I have found that not only are homebrewers some of the most creative, innovative, industrious and helpful people I have ever met, but most I've talked to have a great love for good food as well as great beer.

John

In a guy sorta-way...

I love you Ed.

I think the beer and BBQ and food in general are required for a good life. The Germans made an art form out of beer, and their food, and if you ask me Belgians don't get enuf respect on this as well.

But us here across the water have taken BBQ and made it our own. So no matter if you smoke, grill, or burn it to a crisp, if you cook it over coals or wood and you like it with beer... you're ok with me.

And I gotta get me one of those BGE's..... :rockin:

Ize

Homebrewing changed my life.

The Big Green Egg changed my life.

Ed, you aren't interested in adopting, are you?

Oh man, I love Barbecue! I could eat it everyday if I had to. I make a couple of pretty mean Beer-B-Q Sauces. One with Smoked Porter and the other with Chipotle Ale. Nothin' better than a slab of Pork Spare Ribs dry rubbed and smoked low and slow over apple or cherry wood then slathered in "Naked Spur Beer-B-Q Sauce. Man, I'm hungry!

Naked Spur Label.jpg

Naked Spur Chipotle Label.jpg

Ize said:
But us here across the water have taken BBQ and made it our own.

Though not much of a German thing, Germans had their fair share in american BBQ as well. They came up with the design of the modern BBQ pit where you have a fire box and a smoking chamber.

When I still lived in NC, I got myself one of the wood fired BBQ pits that are pretty much a big drum with a fire box. I really like it. There is nothing better than BBQ for a large cook-out since everything can be prepared before the guests arrive and I don't have to waste time attening the grill. And lets face it, the price of a pork shoulder beats almost every other meat out there.

Kai

I have been BBQin low and slow for over 20 years now and just got into the Beer makin and I love that too. i have been walking almost every day for at least 30 mins to keep the weight off. Brew and BBQ are some strong medicine, The BBQFORUM is a wonderful place to go and talk and learn q from some very smart hard working americans, and some brits too. Check it out. The bbqers I know like beer allot and maybe sometimes too much but that is really not my business. My beer consiumption is anywhere from one a day to 2 beers a week. i brew only one keg at a time and brew as I drink it up. Wife does not share my enjoyment of a good tasting beer. She thinks the boughten stuff is good. "cringe"

Oscar,

Kaiser said:
Though not much of a German thing, Germans had their fair share in american BBQ as well. They came up with the design of the modern BBQ pit where you have a fire box and a smoking chamber.

When I still lived in NC, I got myself one of the wood fired BBQ pits that are pretty much a big drum with a fire box. I really like it. There is nothing better than BBQ for a large cook-out since everything can be prepared before the guests arrive and I don't have to waste time attening the grill. And lets face it, the price of a pork shoulder beats almost every other meat out there.

Kai

True true. I am also a HUGE fan of pork steaks. And I've made every single person I know a fan of them as well. My eldest son's mom actually said to me, "you're cooking what???" Her mom had PAN FRIED them... Blasphemy... put those suckers on the Weber on low heat and sauce the hell out of them until they start falling apart and they are EVIL...

Damn...now I'm hungry. :drunk:

Ize

Cool, might have to make the trip up from San Antonio. I love BBQing, got 4 cookers in the yard. And, I love drinking homebrew!
Don't put the sauce on the meat, put it on the side! My pork shoulder is so good I usually don't even put sauce on it. Now, as a left over BBQ sandwich the next day, then I cover it with our home made sauce! mmmmm now I'm hungry!

I love BBQ! I'm usually smoking something every 2-3 weeks, on average. More during the Spring, Summer and Fall months; less during Winter. Every holiday I am asked - no, make that commanded - to make my honey-brined smoked turkey!

There's almost nothing that isn't better when it's barbecued! Ribs, brisket, pork roasts, chicken and brats are my favorites. I even use my smoker to smoke grains for my Scotch Ale! My parents were kind enough to pick up one almost exactly like this one for me and haul it up from Texas. Made in Uvalde, Texas, mine is well-worn, too!:

lt_singlelid.jpg

Great combination. I'll do both at the same time, weather permitting.

And those iffy batches of brew can be re-cycled as marinade bases and brining solutions.

Got to get the legs on my Bertha welded, the bolts just aren't holding.

Not to toot my own horn, but i fancy myself (as does my family and my wifes family) a great cook. What i can not seem to figure out though is the perfect BBQ. From the method, to the rubs, to the sauces. Being 3 hours from KC i have had great BBQ before, but duplicating it at home has escaped me thus far. If there wasnt a wind chill of -12 here today i would go to the store and give it a shot tonight. Instead, I think i will make some wild mushroom soup and Philo wrapped pork loin.

Any good Sauces and rubs would be welcome so i could try to duplicate them.

EdWort said:
Does anyone think there is a kindred spirit with folks who brew and BBQ?

If you are close to Austin, Texas near the end of April, perhaps you might want to swing by the Texas Eggfest. It's a Saturday dedicated to folks who cook on the Big Green Egg. Most of them enjoy beer. It's on Lake Travis in a private marina which is a great venue.

I thought it would be cool to have Home Brewers there with kegs of brew on tap enjoying barley pops and awsome Q.

If you are interested, head on out to http://www.texas-eggfest.com/

Ed,
Have you ever been to Coopers BBQ in Llano?? Great place and great food. I as out there riding the Hill Country a few years ago and we stopped here for lunch one day, if you haven't been you got to go..
TexasHillCountry2004058.jpg

2nd of the year, building up.
The first was for a pizza.
This one is burning my rosemary clippings.

Black pepper, garlic and rosemary sauted potatoes.
Herb coated Side of wild Salmon.

And several pints of Old Speckled Hen Clone.

:mug:

pot+and+sam.JPG

I do most of my cooking aside from the coals. I drop the lid and use convection. It was nice the rosemary really imparted and nice smell to the fish.

Rhoobarb said:
I love BBQ! I'm usually smoking something every 2-3 weeks, on average. More during the Spring, Summer and Fall months; less during Winter. Every holiday I am asked - no, make that commanded - to make my honey-brined smoked turkey!

There's almost nothing that isn't better when it's barbecued! Ribs, brisket, pork roasts, chicken and brats are my favorites. I even use my smoker to smoke grains for my Scotch Ale! My parents were kind enough to pick up one almost exactly like this one for me and haul it up from Texas. Made in Uvalde, Texas, mine is well-worn, too!:

lt_singlelid.jpg

Care to share the brine recipe?

I did my first smoked turkey breast yesterday, it turned out great but a little salty. Not adding so much salt to the brine next time. Considering it was my first attempt, it turned out well. Next, a brisket.

Dude said:
Care to share the brine recipe?

I did my first smoked turkey breast yesterday, it turned out great but a little salty. Not adding so much salt to the brine next time. Considering it was my first attempt, it turned out well. Next, a brisket.

I use Alton Brown's brine recipe on his site and it comes out beautifully. If you use his aromatics it makes them even nicer.

Back