Traquair house and mini Red Rocket partigyle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcp27

Reaction score
With the coming long weekend, I figured I'd take advantage and brew. Been wanting to do a wee heavy so I'm doing something close to a Traquair house clone. Interested in trying out a partigyle so I'm going to use the runnings to mini mash a mini Red Rocket clone.

Main mash:
10# Golden Promise
1.25# Munich
.25# Roasted Barley
.25# C120
mash 154-156F for 60-90mins, sparge to about 6gals worth

Scotch:
Est OG: 1.081
Est IBUs: 30
Collect around 4.5 gallons of 1.054SG wort and add 1oz Goldings/Williamette mix (4.65%AA)
Boil for 90 mins (boiling 1 gal separately for first 30mins for kettle caramelization)
Top to 3 gallons, pitch WLP028 slurry and ferment at 64F for 3-4 weeks.

Mini Rocket:
Est OG:1.046
Est IBU:38
Collect remainder of the wort, and use to mash:
8oz Golden Promise
4oz C60
3oz Victory
1oz C120
mash 154-156F for 30-60mins, sparge to 3.5gals worth, boil for 30mins
1oz Centennial/Amarillo mix for 15mins (9.1%AA)
2oz Centennial/Amarillo mix at flameout
Top to 3 gallons, pitch S-05 and ferment at 64F for 2-3weeks

Let me know if have any suggestions or if somethings off in my plan.

I do a variation on partigyle for most of my beers.
My basic process is:
1 - Do main mash
2 - batch sparge enough runnings for the big beer
3 - add capping grains
4 - batch sparge for the small beer

Generally I don't use grains that need to mash in the capping grains, so I might leave out the GP. I suppose you can do it, I just prefer not to have to wait for a second mash.
So, the way I balance out the sugars from the missing 0.5# Golden Promise is to add it to the main mash, and take out that much extract from the first runnings.

Good Luck!

Thats actually what I wanted to do, but the main mash should put me at the brink of what I can actually mash in my pot as is. If munich and victory didnt need to be mashed, I'd just steep everything for the 2nd batch.

Thats actually what I wanted to do, but the main mash should put me at the brink of what I can actually mash in my pot as is. If munich and victory didnt need to be mashed, I'd just steep everything for the 2nd batch.

Right on then, double mash it is.

+1 to a bigger MLT :)
I love my 60qt Coleman Max. Even brewing 10 gallon batches with 25# of grain, I've yet to hit capacity.

For the 2nd batch, do you think I'd be better off nixing the 0.5lb of GP, steeping the rest of those grains and adding 0.5lb of demerara sugar to the boil to compensate?

Back