Stir plate questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimgriz

Reaction score
Having never used a stir plate for a starter, I have a few basic questions. My uncle ( a metallurgist by trade) had an old stir plate that he didn't use anymore because it lost the heating function. The plate stirs just fine so I thought about giving it a whirl.
Q1: Do I want a turbulent spin as to pull down small bubbles from the surface to oxygenate or is that to rough for the yeast?
Q2: Is an airlock appropriate to actually see yeast activity or should I just use foil on the top?
Thanks!

Having never used a stir plate for a starter, I have a few basic questions. My uncle ( a metallurgist by trade) had an old stir plate that he didn't use anymore because it lost the heating function. The plate stirs just fine so I thought about giving it a whirl.
Q1: Do I want a turbulent spin as to pull down small bubbles from the surface to oxygenate or is that to rough for the yeast?
Q2: Is an airlock appropriate to actually see yeast activity or should I just use foil on the top?
Thanks!

1. a dimple in the liquid is sufficient
2. do not use an airlock. use sanitized foil. check this out

Got it. Foil and a dimple on the surface. Nice link about the foil/airlock issue. Thanks for the reply. My local micro brew (Telegraph brewery in Santa Barbara Ca) recommended an air lock on my starter after a bad batch. Of course the yeast could have been bad, sanitization compromized, or just bad luck but they recommended the air lock so that I could insure production by visualizing it through the lock. The foil/airlock link set me straight.

Back