Oops! Stir bar.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smackythefrog

Reaction score
Someone, anyone please tell me that when they dumped a starter into the wort that the stir bar went in with it. I feel like a moron and I know (hope) that I can't be the only person this has happened to. Now I just have to remember to strain it out during the yeast wash.

Get a magnet from a speaker and see if you can use it to crawl the stir bar up the side of the carboy.

I always dump the stir bar into the carboy, and then retrieve it after racking off the finished beer. Of course this requires having enough stir bars for all the beers you'll have going at any one time but that's not a big deal.

I usually do use a magnet to keep the sucker in the flask, but my mind was somewhere else and I just spaced. I knew it would happen sooner or later.

just did this with my last brew (and that stir bar was borrowed from a friend cause my other one is in another vessel). seems like i do it almost every time. :drunk:

love the idea about using a magnet to keep the bar in the flask! I cant stand the idea of not using all my starter cause im being to careful with the stir bar

again, glad to know im in good company with this habit

Make sure you use a strong enough magnet if you are going to use it to hold the stirbar in place when you pitch...Someone suggested using another stirbar...

I used a refrigerator magnet when I pitched my starter on Monday....

My stirbar is in my primary.

Truth. I use a hard drive magnet -- that stir bar ain't goin' anywhere.

I've heard some brewers doing this on purpose for bigger beers. The idea is that if the yeast need some help, you can just run a magnet underneith the carboy and the stir bar will do work on the yeast.

Back