Bayou Classic Burner Questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhonda00

Reaction score
Hey guys whats up? Don't get pissed if this has been posted b4 because I've been looking and havent found this comparison.

First of all, I do want to do 10 gallon batches eventually and I use a keggle. Also, I don't want to have to modify the burner. I want to be able to use it from stock.

I know a lot of guys use the bayou classic SQ14 posted here : http://http://bayouclassicdepot.com/sq14_propane_burner.htm
and have good results, but how well do these work for 10 gallon batches in a keggle?

Should I just pay the extra money and buy a Banjo KAB4 posted here:
http://http://bayouclassicdepot.com/kab4_banjo_burner.htm
I know these work good with keggles and that keggles fit on top with no modification.

So which one should i get?

Thanks a lot guys,
Jacob :mug:

I regularly use the SQ-14 for 12 gallon batches in a keggle without problems. The Banjo's and Hurricanes will certainly do the job, but they are overkill in my opinion and waste a lot of gas at high flame levels. There's a definite limit to how much heat you can transfer through the kettle bottom; the rest escapes up the sides of the kettle.

Alright, thanks man. How long would you say it takes wort to boil from out of the mlt or how long it takes to boil from tap temp?

Alright, thanks man. How long would you say it takes wort to boil from out of the mlt or how long it takes to boil from tap temp?

I'm not really sure exactly how long it takes as I have never timed it and there are more than a few variables involved. Obviously, it depends mostly on the volume being boiled. It also depends on how high I turn up the burner. Sometimes I bring it up slowly for light styles where I want to avoid excessive kettle caramelizing and other times I run it wide open. My best guess is about 30-45 minutes for a volume of about 14 gallons. I start heating the wort at the beginning of the runoff. I should time it sometime to get a more precise handle on it. It will maintain a healthy boil rate at considerably less than full throttle. There are some trade offs to consider, such as fuel consumption rate and the caramelizing issue that I already mentioned. I'm satisfied with the heat it puts out. I'm also sure that the Banjo, Hurricanes and the multi-jets would be faster, but not so sure that is an advantage that I want or need and I don't know how much faster. I'm never in a hurry when I brew and there are lots of things I can do while waiting for the wort to come to a boil, so the time isn't critical for me.

I regularly use the SQ-14 for 12 gallon batches in a keggle without problems. The Banjo's and Hurricanes will certainly do the job, but they are overkill in my opinion and waste a lot of gas at high flame levels. There's a definite limit to how much heat you can transfer through the kettle bottom; the rest escapes up the sides of the kettle.
Isn't heat loss through the sides the reason many brewers use jackets on their pots/keggles?

I've been looking at kab4 model also thinking it was better...so, is there a preference to which one anyone would own? :confused:

Isn't heat loss through the sides the reason many brewers use jackets on their pots/keggles?

I've been looking at kab4 model also thinking it was better...so, is there a preference to which one anyone would own? :confused:

I think what he was saying about the heat loss is that a lot of the heat from the burner ends up going around the sides and not directly heating the pot. Well, I'm beginning to think that based solely on price, I'm going with the classic.

I think what he was saying about the heat loss is that a lot of the heat from the burner ends up going around the sides and not directly heating the pot. Well, I'm beginning to think that based solely on price, I'm going with the classic.

Yes, that's what I was trying to say. A lot of heat does escape through the sides of a kettle, but it's not a big deal for us home brewers. It is critical on a mash tun though, and that's where an insulating jacket is most often used.

The SQ-14 is a very good value and you can often find them for about $50. I would like to see some manufacturer produce a ring burner about 7-1/2" in diameter. Sized about halfway between the huge Banjo/Hurricane types and the SQ-14 5-1/2" dia burner. Would also be cool if it were equipped with an adjustable regulator. A stand for such a burner should include a good wind screen and be able to support a keggle safely. Extendable legs would also be a good feature.

Yes, that's what I was trying to say. A lot of heat does escape through the sides of a kettle, but it's not a big deal for us home brewers. It is critical on a mash tun though, and that's where an insulating jacket is most often used.

The SQ-14 is a very good value and you can often find them for about $50. I would like to see some manufacturer produce a ring burner about 7-1/2" in diameter. Sized about halfway between the huge Banjo/Hurricane types and the SQ-14 5-1/2" dia burner. Would also be cool if it were equipped with an adjustable regulator. A stand for such a burner should include a good wind screen and be able to support a keggle safely. Extendable legs would also be a good feature.
While those are nice to have features they'll all up the price. I think it's best kept cheaper for the DIYer who can weld the extensions on themselves. And a wind shield could be made of anything you have laying around the back of the garage (if you have a garage that is...)

I think it was recommended (in one of the reviews I read) if one gets a kab4 with the 30 psi regulator that a 20psi regulator is better because it uses less fuel.

When using the sq-14 does it seem that you get a rolling boil in the center of the pot, or a rolling boil all around the pot?

When using the sq-14 does it seem that you get a rolling boil in the center of the pot, or a rolling boil all around the pot?

The ring burner on the SQ-14 seems to distribute the heat very well. I say this mostly because there is never any scorching near the center. It's not like there's only a column boiling in the center. It's well spread out as best as I can determine. The only way to really tell would be to boil only a small amount of liquid to get a better view of what exactly is happening, but I've never felt the need to do that.

Back